OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:14:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miracles  (Read 440 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: September 21, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »

Is there any miracles happened in today's orthodox church, like healing, casting out demons, raising up the death,etc.??
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »

I've heard of many current day miracles such as healings and myrrh-gushing icons. They will be rather discreet, but not at all hidden, and will still require people's faith, even though they are quite obvious. Sorry, no particular ones in my mind right now.

However, there are other miracles that are not so thought of. The Holy Mysteries, The Divine Liturgy are miracles because God's Presence and that of the Angels and Saints is there. Also, seeing the Uncreated Light and being with God every moment of our lives are also miracles.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:16:45 AM by IoanC » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »

Why are people online and at the movies so fascinated with demons and the casting out of them? Happens at each baptism for sure - beyond that - IT's A MYSTERY!!!!
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »

http://thehandmaid.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/icon-of-the-lord-weeps/

http://snwoca.org/#icon

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Nathanael

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »

Is there any miracles happened in today's orthodox church, like healing, casting out demons, raising up the death,etc.??

There're so many. But the most important gift of the holy spirit, is not that a christian, a saint, can performe miracles, it's the gift of love,especially the unceasingly prayer for the whole world:

Excuse me, but I'll quote you some words concerning this issue:

"There are known instances when Blessed Staretz Silouan in prayer beheld something remote as though it were happening close by; when he saw into someone's future, or when profound secrets of the human soul were revealed to him. There are many people still alive who can bear witness to this in their own case but he himself never aspired to it and never accorded much significance to it. His soul was totally engulfed in compassion for the world. He concentrated himself utterly on prayer for the world, and in his spiritual life prized this love above all else." - St. Silouan the Athonite

"He who has the Holy Spirit in him, to however slight a degree,sorrows DAY and NIGHT for all mankind(with many tears).This heart is filled with pity for all God’s creatures,more especially for those who do not know God,or who resist Him and therefore are bound for the fire of Torment. For them,more than for himself,he prays day and night,that all may repent and know the Lord." St. Silouan

“When grace is working in the soul of someone who is praying,then he is flooded with the love of God,so that he can no longer bear what he experiences.Then,this love turns towards the humankind,whom he comes to love so much that he seeks to take upon himself the whole of human pain so that everyone else might be freed from it. In general he suffers with every grief and misery.This is why those who are advanced in prayer do not cease to pray for the world.
Joseph the Hesychast

Oh, that's the greatest miracle, that a soul can by just such deep prayers repent and know the Lord!

Elder Porphyrios is known that he had performed many many great,unbelievable miracles aside from the prayer for the world. http://www.oodegr.com/english/biblia/Porfyrios_Martyries_Empeiries/perieh.htm
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:52:35 PM by Nathanael » Logged

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »

Elder Porphyrios also said, "The greatest miracle is that I am the chief of sinners, but I have Christ for my Savior."

There are miracles of all kinds at every moment, some of which we notice and recognize as such and some of which go entirely unnoticed. Icons weep, people are healed of incurable diseases, broken hearts are mended, hardened sinners repent, and faithful people partake of the flesh and blood of God and live forever.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:05:40 PM »

Elder Porphyrios also said, "The greatest miracle is that I am the chief of sinners, but I have Christ for my Savior."

There are miracles of all kinds at every moment, some of which we notice and recognize as such and some of which go entirely unnoticed. Icons weep, people are healed of incurable diseases, broken hearts are mended, hardened sinners repent, and faithful people partake of the flesh and blood of God and live forever.

Nothing else needs to be said.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »

How about prophecies?? is there any prophets , like Elijah,Isaiah,Ezekiel in orthodox church??
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:48:58 AM by walter1234 » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »

How about prophecies?? is there any prophets , like Elijah,Isaiah,Ezekiel in orthodox church??

Are there any prophets anywhere after the Incarnation? Why would there be? As Scripture tells the rich man, if your brothers would not believe Moses and the prophets, why would they believe the rich man had he been allowed to return to our realm to warn them of the consequences of not following God's commandments. Christ's role in our Salvation makes further 'prophecies' irrelevant and even dangerous.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »

Yes.

A prophet delivers the word of God. so yes.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:23:03 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 12:27:16 AM »

Yes. There are actual prophets, as in those whom God enlightens about what may come to pass. These people are not random persons, but lead holy lives and have purified their hearts through much repentance and self-denial.

There are also false prophets. These people say all kinds of things. Some attempt to maliciously lead people astray for their own purposes, others are simply well-meaning but speak from themselves, not from God. Even holy men can fall into this category where they make a prediction, but it's not really from God. They haven't discerned between what God gives them and their own thoughts. Somtimes, another holy man will correct them.

So, the test of a prophecy is whether it actually comes true.

Prophecy is a very rare gift and its usefulness is somewhat limited.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:50 AM »

I don't think that the OP was referring to prophets in the sense of what we may regard as a prophet in modern times, but rather in terms of scriptural ones per the names which were mentioned.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: