OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 11:50:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross and Crucifix  (Read 2055 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: September 23, 2012, 06:45:46 AM »

Today I found a Catholic crucifix and saint medallion I wore in Iraq.  It was all they had available and I didn't see any harm in wearing it, even as a Baptist.  My question is, as an Orthodox, would it be frowned upon if I wore it again, at least until I get an Orthodox cross?  I know it sounds silly, but I just want to get a few opinions first.  Thanks!
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »

Just wear it, don't get rid of it, there's no reason to. The popular "Orthodox" cross with three bars is mainly Slavic. If you went to Greece, Cyprus or anywhere else that wasn't Slavic and asked them to draw a cross they'd draw the same Latin cross you already know. No reason to get rid of something meaningful to you.

(I'm not Orthodox, just giving you practical advice if I can... There are Orthodox who will want you to throw away everything without any good reason because its "Catholic" when its also actually "Orthodox" and they don't know any better)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:17:24 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »

I don't see a problem with wearing it. Just curious, but who's the saint medallion of?
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »

Give it to your priest to be blessed. If there's something grievously wrong with it he'd (hopefully) tell you.

The cross I wear is a Slavic 8-point Crucifix with Corpus, and my priest really liked it, so I'd think crucifixes are fine in Orthodoxy.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »

lots of copts have crucifixes.
mine is a simple cross.
it's the cross in yr heart that matters.
 Smiley
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »

Thank you for the replies.  I didn't think it would be an issue, but I wanted to be sure in the event I was confronted about it.  Thanks again!   Grin
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »

I don't see a problem with wearing it. Just curious, but who's the saint medallion of?
St. Michael on one side and Guardian Angel on the other.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 06:10:08 PM »

A cross is a cross.  As long as it has meaning to you, and invokes images of the story behind it, it's as "Orthodox" as it really needs to be! Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »

A cross is a cross. Style is cultural. Orthodoxy can be expressed within but also transcends any particular culture.

Wear it. The medallion too.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »

Give it to your priest to be blessed.

Crosses need not be blessed. A cross is a cross, it's already blessed.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:32:20 PM »

A cross is a cross, there is no such thing as an 'Orthodox' cross or a 'Greek' Cross, even though many Slavic Orthodox will mistakenly make this claim. I kind of think that St. Paul would sigh on this point!
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 11:34:05 PM »

Give it to your priest to be blessed.

Crosses need not be blessed. A cross is a cross, it's already blessed.

Well imbuing it with a magical enchantment wasn't really the point of the suggestion, as the rest of my post shows.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 11:52:05 PM »

I've been wearing it all day.  Every time I feel it move or every time I'm about to say something I shouldn't, I'm reminded it's there.  Helps a lot!
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 12:55:14 AM »

I don't think it's the Eastern v Western cross that's the problem. 

We don't typically wear crucifixes.  Therefore, I think it's better to wear a cross rather than a crucifix.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:45 AM »

We don't typically wear crucifixes.

Are you sure? I thought most Orthodox wore crucifixes.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:06:58 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 03:49:04 AM »

Is this a trick question?  Most I know (baptismal crosses and such), and most vendors for these things have the cross, sans statuette of Christ.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 06:05:29 AM »

Is this a trick question?  Most I know (baptismal crosses and such), and most vendors for these things have the cross, sans statuette of Christ.

I agree. It's definitely unusual for Orthodox to wear crosses with corpus in my experience. However I find that many people use the word crucifix to mean any cross for wearing around the neck, and are often unaware that that's not strictly accurate, so I wonder if NicholasMyra was using the word in that sense.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »

I agree. It's definitely unusual for Orthodox to wear crosses with corpus in my experience. However I find that many people use the word crucifix to mean any cross for wearing around the neck, and are often unaware that that's not strictly accurate, so I wonder if NicholasMyra was using the word in that sense.

James
Well, in Romania even the wearing of the so-called "baptismal cross" used to be quite rare or even non-existent . I think people were too poor to afford one.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:15 PM »

There is a difference bewteen Cross and Crucifix, the Protestants have a big time problem with the Crucifix.

I'm traditional Latin Roman Catholic but I almost always wear a Celtic Cross.

It's a personal preference even though I'm not Irish.

A Crucifix ( with the corpus) is usually a distinctly Catholic emblem.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:58 PM »

There is a difference bewteen Cross and Crucifix, the Protestants have a big time problem with the Crucifix.

The one I have is a Catholic crucifix.  Protestants complain, and it's nitpicking to fight the Catholic Church, Christ is no longer dead and not on the cross. 
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »

The one I have is a Catholic crucifix.  Protestants complain, and it's nitpicking to fight the Catholic Church, Christ is no longer dead and not on the cross. 

It's not the cross we celebrate being empty (except maybe during the unnailing on holy friday), but the tomb. I've never understood the crucifix to be opposed to the resurrection. I've seen hand crosses with icons of the resurrection (2d version of the same thing being argued against) used by Orthodox priests for blessing and veneration.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »

Orthodox Crucifix the feet of Christ are side by side two nails,on the Catholic ones, there over one another and one nail...Catholics got it wrong, Orthodoxy is the right way ....
Stick with the Orthodox Crucifix and Crosses, you can't go wrong.........

Catholic's confess a different Jesus from the Orthodox one ,their not the same , including their Mary ,And our Scriptual Blessed Theotokos....... police
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:15:44 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »

Quote from: stashko
Catholic's confess a different Jesus from the Orthodox one ,their not the same , including their Mary ,And our Scriptual Blessed Theotokos....... police

Not true.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »

Orthodox Crucifix the feet on Christ are side by side two nails,on the Catholic ones, there over one another and one nail...Catholics got it wrong, Orthodoxy is the right way ....

Hmm, I didn't know the Vatican had changed their Creed again, what does it say now?
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 05:02:29 AM »

James
Well, in Romania even the wearing of the so-called "baptismal cross" used to be quite rare or even non-existent . I think people were too poor to afford one.

You may be right, but in the decade I've been Orthodox it's certainly been the norm (indeed strongly encouraged by Romanian priests) for us to always wear a cross. If you can't afford a gold one there's nothing stopping it being made of a cheaper material. Our church, a Romanian parish in the UK, sells wooden ones, brass ones and even ones that are made simply from woven/knotted yarn.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 05:11:49 AM »

In this part of the world crucifixes are mostly used as priests' blessing crosses or in the tombstones.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 05:14:45 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with it. Use it to the glory of God.

Thank you.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »

There is a difference between Cross and Crucifix, the Protestants have a big time problem with the Crucifix.

Yes. this is always what I hear from the Prots, especially the Evangelical variety. It's always that we Papists believe that Christ is still on the cross and the Resurrection is irrelevant.........wrong.

The Crucifix is the most powerful symbol in Christianity, it is the very image reminding us of what Almighty God himself sacrificed for us in order for his creation to obtain eternal salvation, no other religion, ever in history from what I know can declare this, that their God gave his very life for them, the Crucifix is not to be taken lightly or mocking God as he's still hanging on the cross, quite the contrary actually, it's a visual to never let us forget what he did.

The Prots really need to get straight on this and get it right and stop with the "Christ is no longer dead on the Cross babble".

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

Orthodox Crucifix the feet of Christ are side by side two nails,on the Catholic ones, there over one another and one nail...Catholics got it wrong, Orthodoxy is the right way ....

What on earth are you talking about?

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »

While I agree with most people here that the crucifix is fine to wear, I think the distinction between Orthodox portrayals of the Crucifixion and the Catholic crucifix has to do with the second commandment forbidding graven (carved) images. In Orthodoxy, the image of Christ on the Cross is always flat, painted (written) in proper iconography. But the Catholic crucifix contains a three dimensional figure of Our Lord which is viewed by Orthodoxy as violating the proscription against graven images. I could be mistaken, but that's my understanding.

But like I said, I agree with most others here. God knows the heart, and I see nothing wrong with wearing a crucifix out of devotion to Christ and thanksgiving for His passion. But then again, I am not a Priest. Just offering my two cents.

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »

Hmm, The crosses that are worn by priests i.e. the pectoral cross depicts the corpus of Jesus.  It matters not whether the cross on wears has the corpus of Christ or is only a cross.  The early Christians depicted crosses mostly without the corpus but later on included it.  Both versions are OK with me.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »

While I agree with most people here that the crucifix is fine to wear, I think the distinction between Orthodox portrayals of the Crucifixion and the Catholic crucifix has to do with the second commandment forbidding graven (carved) images.

Can of worms opened.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »

Didn't mean to open a can of worms. On a positive and unifying note, today in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church we celebrate "Meskel," the finding of the true Cross!  Smiley

The history of the finding of the Cross of Our Lord by Empress Helena:
http://stmichaeleoc.org/Synaxarium/Meskerem_17.htm

"Meskel Square" by Morgan Heritage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tSyo8Cu-lHs

Selam

"Beauty is truth, and Orthodoxy is beautiful." +GMK+
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »

we celebrate for 3 days, starting tomorrow
 Smiley
happy feast of the cross everybody!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »

A cross is a cross, there is no such thing as an 'Orthodox' cross or a 'Greek' Cross,

I have an Orthodox cross tattooed on me... so...  Cool

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »

A cross is a cross, there is no such thing as an 'Orthodox' cross or a 'Greek' Cross,

I have an Orthodox cross tattooed on me... so...  Cool

Well, I have a... regular cross?... tattooed on me. So now what? Wink

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »

I believe the only correct solution to this problem is more tattoos...  Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »

While I agree with most people here that the crucifix is fine to wear, I think the distinction between Orthodox portrayals of the Crucifixion and the Catholic crucifix has to do with the second commandment forbidding graven (carved) images. In Orthodoxy, the image of Christ on the Cross is always flat, painted (written) in proper iconography. But the Catholic crucifix contains a three dimensional figure of Our Lord which is viewed by Orthodoxy as violating the proscription against graven images. I could be mistaken, but that's my understanding.

The Crucifix is not always flat.  Bas relief is widely used in both hand and neck EO/BC crosses/crucifixes.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:50 AM »

But like I said, I agree with most others here. God knows the heart, and I see nothing wrong with wearing a crucifix out of devotion to Christ and thanksgiving for His passion. But then again, I am not a Priest. Just offering my two cents.

Selam
My priest (ROCOR) has said that there is nothing inherently wrong with statues, simply that icons are better, and deeper theologically, and that is why we use icons, and statues are improper to use in a church.

But, either way, your last paragraph is the important part, and true.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: