OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 08:44:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do orthodox christians understand/ view of Trinity??  (Read 615 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: September 23, 2012, 04:11:07 AM »

How do orthodox christians understand/view of Trinity??
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:36:04 AM »

Three Persons, one essence. The Son is begotten of the Father, the Spirit proceeds from the Father.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 06:40:01 AM »

I'm still pretty new to Orthodoxy, so my understanding may still be tainted from Protestantism.  But my understanding, outside the Nicene Creed we use, is three parts of the same source, used for different purposes.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:45:48 PM »

What are the difference between father , son and holy spirit???
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:46:22 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:01:15 PM »

I'm still pretty new to Orthodoxy, so my understanding may still be tainted from Protestantism.  But my understanding, outside the Nicene Creed we use, is three parts of the same source, used for different purposes.

This borders on heresy.

Three distinct persons, one essense, each existing from before all eternity. The Son is eternally begotten from the Father. The Holy Spirit proceeds eternally from the Father.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 11:53:47 PM »

This borders on heresy.

Three distinct persons, one essense, each existing from before all eternity. The Son is eternally begotten from the Father. The Holy Spirit proceeds eternally from the Father.
Guess its a good thing I'm not a priest. Shocked
Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 11:59:41 PM »

The Cappadocian Fathers were clear about the Divinity of the Godhead stemming from the Divinity of the Father. In other words, the Son and the Holy Spirit are God because the Father is God. They would say that it is wrong to speak of a common Divine Essence as if that common Divine Essence were itself something that binds all Three together, almost like a 4th member of the Trinity. So instead of starting with the notion of One Essence for all three Persons, they start with the Person of the Father and Him being God. From the Father the Son is eternally begotten. And since He is eternally begotten of the Father, He is what (not who, but what) the Father is. And from the Father the Holy Spirit eternally proceeds. And since He eternally proceeds from the Father, He is what the Father is (and also what the Son is). Thus the Son and the Holy Spirit are God because the Father is God. The Trinity is One because the Father is One. Yes, they are One Essence, but only because that is the Essence of the Father as the Fountainhead of Divinity.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 01:02:05 AM »

How do orthodox christians understand/view of Trinity??

There is one God, the Father Almighty;

The Father has a Word and a Spirit;

The Father has always had a Word and a Spirit;

The Word and Spirit are Divine because the Father has always had them, and because they come from Him.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »

A common metaphor is thinking of the sun. The sun has disc (The Father), rays (The Son), and light (The Spirit); all three in one sun.

A more complicated answer:
The differences between The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are as important as the fact that only together they are God. It is false to think of God as one person, to think that only God The Father is God, etc.. The Father is the source of The Trinity and the Will. The Son is begotten by The Father and He is The Wisdom (or Logos, or Icon). The Spirit is proceeded from The Father and He is, well, The Spirit. Each One is one aspect of God, and together They are One. So, there are Three Equal Divine Persons, each fully Divine, but Each has a different quality than the Others.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:53:24 AM by IoanC » Logged

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »

This borders on heresy.

Question.  If the son was begotten of the father, that would suggest that the father existed before the son right?   I don't understand "eternally begotten" I guess.  Perhaps it doesn't meet human logic...  I have no idea.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »

This borders on heresy.

Question.  If the son was begotten of the father, that would suggest that the father existed before the son right?   I don't understand "eternally begotten" I guess.  Perhaps it doesn't meet human logic...  I have no idea.

No father exists before his son does. This is just taking a simple phenomenological insight and going pro with it.

You can pretty much ditch the essence talk which begets the ontological / economical split within Trinitarian language. Everything that you really need to know is in the Creed. 

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »

This borders on heresy.

Eternally begotten means that the Word is not only begotten of the father at one event, but that he is always being begotten.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »

This borders on heresy.

Eternally begotten means that the Word is not only begotten of the father at one event, but that he is always being begotten.

That's not the problem. No son is ever begotten in a single moment.

It is that in order to beget you must exist.

Therefore, the Father must exist in some manner before the Son.

But this is no problem, since fathers never precede their sons. Procession is the rise of both son and father.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »

This borders on heresy.

That's not the problem. No son is ever begotten in a single moment.

It is that in order to beget you must exist.

Therefore, the Father must exist in some manner before the Son.

But this is no problem, since fathers never precede their sons. Procession is the rise of both son and father.

I already thought your answer was correct!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: