OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:16:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox book?  (Read 207 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« on: September 22, 2012, 11:05:55 PM »

I have been Orthodox most of my life as many of you know.  My father (like as in DAD(yes I did have to go to confession to him!!!LOL)) is an Eastern Orthodox priest.  I have even attended St. Vlad's seminary in New York for about a year myself, considering becoming a member of the clergy.   I am cradle Orthodox.   Ecumenism crushed me, and was for me like hitting a speed bump at going 100 mph.   The things I saw at the WCC were infuriating (personal opinion formulated from what I understood Orthodoxy to be).

So anyway, I backed out of the church some, and still grip the love and beauty of the worship.  YES, I have some issues that many have read and bopped me over the head a few times about.  In honesty though, they are kind of serious issues, but not the full blown essence of Orthodoxy at all, and nothing I couldn't work out I'm sure.

I am married to an Anabaptist Mennonite, and have been for 17 years.  We have 5 children together.  She is pretty open to Orthodoxy in many ways, with some hesitation but has told me that she would accept my guidance as the spiritual leader of our family.

Anyway, this is a long process for me and HAS BEEN.   I don't know if I'll ever make it back to Orthodoxy.... but my faith is a WIDE OPEN wound and has been many years prior to joining the forum (you regular guys know this though)

So I'm asking for book suggestions.... Even small print rare books with stapled bindings (I am willing to write to a monastery to order even).

I need something that is an incredibly deep and powerful Orthodox read...  If there are any books that seriously are incredibly moving that grasps the depths of your soul, please if anybody could share the title(s) with me.

I've been through a lot of the common stuff (Ladder of Divine Ascent for example) and its good, but I'm looking for something.... else.... With an incredibly deep re-calling to Orthodoxy.

I don't know if something like this exists.
I appreciate it, and God Bless.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:06:44 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:14:42 PM »

I found Elder Porphyrios' book Wounded by Love very moving. Likewise the biography of St. Seraphim of Sarov, An Extraordinary Peace.

But the effect of a book can only go so far. It might not be a book that you need.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »

I found Elder Porphyrios' book Wounded by Love very moving. Likewise the biography of St. Seraphim of Sarov, An Extraordinary Peace.

But the effect of a book can only go so far. It might not be a book that you need.

You are right, I may need more than a book...  Just trying Smiley
Thanks for the suggestions!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:55:54 PM »

I'm going through my thoughts on what have been some very moving and inspiring Orthodox books and these three have made tears well up in my eyes.

"Papa-Nicholas Planas: The Simple Shepherd of the Simple Sheep"

If you read any of my recommended ones, read this one. St. Nicholas was a Greek priest during the 1920's who's faith was simple, childlike, and strong. He endured a lot of persecution. He continued to serve on the New Calendar but would in his mind commorate according to the Old calendar.

"Shepard of Souls" (The life of Elder Cleopa of Romania)

"Elder Jonah of Kiev: A Brief Account of His Life and Struggles (ca. 1794- 1902)" by Hieromonk Ioannikios

That one is on Eastern Christian Supplies.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: