OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 06:31:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The difference between oriental orthodox and eastern orthodox  (Read 844 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: September 23, 2012, 12:30:11 AM »

What is the difference between oriental orthodoxy and eastern orthodoxy?? Are you believe the same things?
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:47:35 AM »

A brief overview of the differences:

-The EO accept seven councils as having ecumenical status (Nicea, Constantinople, Ephesus, Chalcedon, Constantinople II, Constantinople III, and Nicea II)
-The OO accept only the first three of the above mentioned councils, they believe that Chalcedon carried Nestorian connotations with it
-The EO venerate Pope Leo of Rome as a "pillar of right faith", they believe that his Tome, which was accepted at Chalcedon, was an orthodox document
-The EO consider Pope Dioscorus of Alexandria and Patriarch Severus of Antioch to be "God-hated" heresiarchs
-The OO, in contrast, venerate Patr. Severus and Pope Dioscorus as "Teachers of Orthodoxy"
-The OO consider the language contained in the Tome of Leo to be unacceptable
-In order for reunion to take place, the EO have insisted that the OO accept all councils which the former group considers ecumenical
-Some EO, of a more traditionalist bent, would also require the OO to anathematize Pope Timothy Aelurus, Pope Dioscorus, and Patr. Severus
-The OO are far more "relaxed" when it comes to prerequisites for reunion, but they still persistently reject the latter four councils of the EOs as having ecumenical status
-Some OO, of a more traditionalist bent, would also be apprehensive to lift Pope Leo's anathema
-In order for reunion to take place 1500 years of mutual condemnations would have to be lifted, on both sides
-Thus, some argue that reunion between these two churches would involve undermining over 1500 years of tradition

I hope this (grossly oversimplified) explanation helps,
Severian

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:48:52 AM »

For more info, a good website to visit would be this one.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:49:47 AM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 03:08:15 AM »

What is the difference between oriental orthodoxy and eastern orthodoxy?? Are you believe the same things?
Just my 2 cents. The Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox believe almost the same things. Back in the day, there were four big centers of Christianity in the Roman Empire and each of them had a different langauge and ethnic mix.
1 Rome (Latin)
2 Contrantinople (Greek)
3 Alexandria (Coptic)
4 Antioch (Syriac)
Even within the same language, concepts ousia ('substance'), physis ('nature'), hypostasis and prosopon ('person'). are very difficult to understand.
- Was Christ one substance with two natures?
- Was Christ one person from two natures, but the two natures are indistingushable after the union ?

Now when you throw in different languages into to mix; two sets of people could be saying the same thing and still accuse each other as heretics. Of this 1 and 2 sided together and 3 and 4 sided together. 1 and 2 eventually parted ways over many issues, the main one being whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father and Son.  3 and 4 are still together as part of the OO Communion.

The above is extremely over simplified. I am sure the more learned members here can give you a much more detailed answer.

NULL
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 05:01:54 AM »

Just my 2 cents. The Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental Orthodox believe almost the same things. Back in the day, there were four big centers of Christianity in the Roman Empire and each of them had a different langauge and ethnic mix.
1 Rome (Latin)
2 Contrantinople (Greek)
3 Alexandria (Coptic)
4 Antioch (Syriac)
Even within the same language, concepts ousia ('substance'), physis ('nature'), hypostasis and prosopon ('person'). are very difficult to understand.

In the fourth century the predominant spoken languages in those cities and the liturgical languages used by those sees would have been as follows:

Rome (Latin)
Constantinople (Greek)
Alexandria (Greek)
Antioch (Greek)

The Coptic and Syriac languages did not play any major role in the theological debates that lead to the schism. St. Cyril of Alexandria, Nestorios, Dioscoros, Severos, etc. all wrote in Greek. The great linguistic problem came from the Westerners who participated, St. Leo the Great in particular, who only spoke Latin.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »

The Coptic and Syriac languages did not play any major role in the theological debates that lead to the schism. St. Cyril of Alexandria, Nestorios, Dioscoros, Severos, etc. all wrote in Greek. The great linguistic problem came from the Westerners who participated, St. Leo the Great in particular, who only spoke Latin.
Agreed. As I said in my post above my view was an extreme over simplification.  The main issue was Leo and Latin in the 4th Cent. The other languages played a role in the failure of further reconciliation attempts.

NULL
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »

- Was Christ one person from two natures, but the two natures are indistingushable after the union ?
To set the record straight, we OOs do believe Christ's natures are distinguishable after the union, but in "theoria" or contemplation. The humanity and Divinity still retain their distinct characteristics in the hypostatic union. What we do believe is that the natures are inseparable after the union. This is because, for us, distinction does not lead to division.

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »

Do OO and EO make an accusation of heresy  to each other??

Do OO and EO denounce each other's teaching as unbiblical??
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:50:56 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:04:12 AM »

Do OO and EO make an accusation of heresy  to each other??

Extremists on both side do, although it's usually the EO side doing that. I've only once or twice seen Oriental polemics against the modern Chalcedonians

They're almost the same, really.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:07:13 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »

Do OO and EO make an accusation of heresy  to each other??
We certainly have in the past. Nowadays I think most people on both sides are more the opinion that the differences are mainly of terminology. Certainly there is a movement to heal the schism between us. From my point of view, but I stress that this is my personal opinion, I do not think that the OOs are heretical. They seem to have the same faith as we do, it's just that they express it differently and are not in communion with us. There are, however, more extreme views on both sides which would still see the other labelled as heretical.

That's a term I only ever see bandied about by sola scriptura Protestants, so no not really. Neither we nor the OOs would see sola scriptura as a valid position.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: