OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 06:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Halo in images  (Read 3805 times) Average Rating: 0
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »

Can you please show me an example of a saint communicating from heaven to a physically living person?

"Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest, and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?' And he said, 'Who are You, Lord?' And He said, 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting, but get up and enter the city, and it will be told you what you must do."

That is Jesus communicating with Saul, it's not a saint. It is God Himself.

Your statement is monophysite. Jesus Christ is a real man.

In another thread we called him a nestorian  Grin

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »

The holy are entering already into the Coming Age and the Kingdom of Heaven, and through Christ's body, the Church, we may mystically interact with them.

May I ask if you have scripture to back up this statement?

First off, please stop saying "Scripture" as if it is a singularity. There are only "Scriptures" (plural).

Second, I have a few examples. St. John mystically entered into the Age to Come in the Book of Revelation. That's what the entire book is about. In that book: "When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, 'How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”

Which adds weight to the words of the Apostle:

"For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ."

Also,

"Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."

And,

"Amen I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Continuing:

"...the Word of God, that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints"

Furthermore:

"And he was saying, 'Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!' And He said to him, 'Amen I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

To add:

"Most certainly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all things are accomplished." and "Therefore when Jesus had received the vinegar, He said, 'Teteleste [it is accomplished]!' And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit."

Another from the Apostle:

"These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come."

And "But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God; he said, 'Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

Finally, and most importantly:

"'Ye search the Scriptures, because ye think in them to have life eternal, and these are they that are testifying concerning me."

Before replying, remember that there is no Scriptural reading without a hermeneutical interpretation. Nobody interprets the Scriptures without a hermeneutic, whether they realize it or not. So you cannot say, "your reading is not the plain reading", because there is no plain reading, as there is no reading without a hermeneutic. Rather, you must set your hermeneutic against another hermeneutic, and make an apology for it.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
kx9

Faith: Christian

« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »

Oh I am quite familiar with that Scripture, what confuses me is the context in which you quoted it to us.  We asked you to defend your position from Scripture for a prohibition against praying with or to the Saints, and that verse seemed ad hominem to suggest that if it supports your position, then we in the Church who are contrary to that position are the "wicked and evil people"  Huh

stay blessed,
habte selassie

There isn't a specific verse that declares that praying to the saints is prohibited. But no one does it in the Bible, neither do I (as it is not necessary for salvation, it is not necessary as an important belief). So that's why I'm asking why it is so important to the Orthodox faith?

And that particular verse is referring to unbelievers who have not placed their faith in Jesus. I just used a part of the verse to defend my position. Nothing more.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Oh I am quite familiar with that Scripture, what confuses me is the context in which you quoted it to us.  We asked you to defend your position from Scripture for a prohibition against praying with or to the Saints, and that verse seemed ad hominem to suggest that if it supports your position, then we in the Church who are contrary to that position are the "wicked and evil people"  Huh

stay blessed,
habte selassie

There isn't a specific verse that declares that praying to the saints is prohibited. But no one does it in the Bible, neither do I (as it is not necessary for salvation, it is not necessary as an important belief). So that's why I'm asking why it is so important to the Orthodox faith?

And that particular verse is referring to unbelievers who have not placed their faith in Jesus. I just used a part of the verse to defend my position. Nothing more.

I explained to you above, firstly and foremost, in the Orthodox Church the Tradition and the Bible are equally one and the same, and if anything, the Bible is a part of Tradition, not the other way around.  That being said, in our Tradition we have many writings discussing praying with the Saints, and to us then these are what  you might say perfectly Scriptural.

Again, your point is contrary to ours, your point is to say that we are wrong for praying with the Saints, and you are trying to Bible thump to do it! I am sorry, you can be polite about it, but your words are still disrespectful.  When you say, "defend my position" which is to say, you are arguing that those who pray to Saints do not have the same faith in Jesus, you are insulting us even more! So we are either the evil and wicked people you mentioned, or what is worse, we have no faith in Jesus, either way, that is inappropriate Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:25:48 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
kx9

« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »

Can you please show me an example of a saint communicating from heaven to a physically living person?

"Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest, and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?' And he said, 'Who are You, Lord?' And He said, 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting, but get up and enter the city, and it will be told you what you must do."

That is Jesus communicating with Saul, it's not a saint. It is God Himself.

Your statement is monophysite. Jesus Christ is a real man.
Wherever I'm referring to Jesus on this forum, must I write God/Man or God+Man?

When I say "God" in reference to Jesus anywhere, I'm saying in my heart that He is fully God and fully Man.

Please inquire a person's beliefs first, then decide whether he is a heretic or not in all his posts  Smiley

One more point. Several times in the scriptures, Jesus is mentioned as "man" or "God/Lord" individually. But still the scriptures aren't being monophysite.

Hope that clears things up Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:35:17 PM by kx9 » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »

Please inquire a person's beliefs first, then decide whether he is a heretic or not in all his posts  Smiley
Ah, but you said that Jesus is not a saint, implying this because he is God.

But he is a real human being and the quintessential saint.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:32:33 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Oh I am quite familiar with that Scripture, what confuses me is the context in which you quoted it to us.  We asked you to defend your position from Scripture for a prohibition against praying with or to the Saints, and that verse seemed ad hominem to suggest that if it supports your position, then we in the Church who are contrary to that position are the "wicked and evil people"  Huh

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I explained to you above, firstly and foremost, in the Orthodox Church the Tradition and the Bible are equally one and the same, and if anything, the Bible is a part of Tradition, not the other way around.  That being said, in our Tradition we have many writings discussing praying with the Saints, and to us then these are what  you might say perfectly Scriptural.

Again, your point is contrary to ours, your point is to say that we are wrong for praying with the Saints, and you are trying to Bible thump to do it! I am sorry, you can be polite about it, but your words are still disrespectful.  When you say, "defend my position" which is to say, you are arguing that those who pray to Saints do not have the same faith in Jesus, you are insulting us even more! So we are either the evil and wicked people you mentioned, or what is worse, we have no faith in Jesus, either way, that is inappropriate Sad

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I think this(especially the last part) might be to exaggerate a bit.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
kx9

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2012, 04:44:17 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I explained to you above, firstly and foremost, in the Orthodox Church the Tradition and the Bible are equally one and the same, and if anything, the Bible is a part of Tradition, not the other way around.  That being said, in our Tradition we have many writings discussing praying with the Saints, and to us then these are what  you might say perfectly Scriptural.
Okay, I see that we hold different beliefs and disagree. But can you then explain why Tradition is not bundled with Scripture (like the second canon which is bundled with the First canon) in a single book?

Sorry, but in the previous post, you asked me to [defend my position], so I happened to use the same sentence in my response. I had no intention of being disrespectful. If you still feel that I have been, then I give my sincerest apologies.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:49:57 PM by kx9 » Logged
kx9

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2012, 04:48:27 PM »

Yes, but the difference between Jesus and saints is His divine nature. The saints do not have His divine nature.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:48:55 PM by kx9 » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »

Okay, I see that we hold different beliefs and disagree. But can you then explain why Tradition is not bundled with Scripture (like the second canon which is bundled with the First canon) in a single book?

Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Yes, but the difference between Jesus and saints is His divine nature. The saints do not have His divine nature.

They do.

Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:54:41 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2012, 04:56:56 PM »

It was Protestants who separated the bundle in the first place, but in the Church there is no such distinction and we've never separated the two from each other, rather they are all just volumes of a mutual anthology called Tradition or the Canon.

Sorry, but in the previous post, you asked me to [defend my position], so I happened to use the same sentence in my response. I had no intention of being disrespectful. If you still feel that I have been, then I give my sincerest apologies.

You have the right to defend your position, but you should have realized exactly either what position you were defending or how it relates to Orthodox which is the context of where you are discussing this.  You also have my humblest of apologies if I myself have come across as curt or rude Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:57:09 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »

Might I gently suggest that you spend some time researching the history of the development of both the Old and New Testament Scriptures? The single book notion did not exist, to the best of my knowledge, until the invention of the printing press.

Even today, the Orthodox Church has separate volumes for the Gospel, the Epistles, the Psalms, etc. (Admittedly for convenience we will use a single volume edition). But for example, in the Divine Liturgy and some other services, the Gospel book will be brought in with great reverence.

Then there is the problem of exactly what constitutes what you refer to as the "First canon". Orthodox Christianity does not have a definitive list of the Old Testament Scriptures.

Not all Tradition is is written form. Icons form part of Tradition.

The Church is a living organism. Tradition is constantly developing. For example, hymns are being written to honour recently canonized saints (yes, hymnography is part of Tradition).

What is your experience with Orthodox Christianity (outside of the Internet, I mean)?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »

The verse doesn't make that distinction between the alive and the dead. But it is clear to me that the verse is concerning the alive only (as far as I can understand).

That means you are creating your own tradition.
I don't think so. We read it straight, we understand the meaning (through the Holy Spirit). It isn't wise to insert presuppositions into the scriptures to support a particular position.
But Protestants do that all the time.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »

The verse doesn't make that distinction between the alive and the dead. But it is clear to me that the verse is concerning the alive only (as far as I can understand).

That means you are creating your own tradition.
I don't think so. We read it straight, we understand the meaning (through the Holy Spirit). It isn't wise to insert presuppositions into the scriptures to support a particular position.
But Protestants do that all the time.
And not just Protestants, PtA. We all approach these matters within some sort of framework, whether Orthodox, heterodox, or non-Christian. Choose your filter carefully  Wink.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I explained to you above, firstly and foremost, in the Orthodox Church the Tradition and the Bible are equally one and the same, and if anything, the Bible is a part of Tradition, not the other way around.  That being said, in our Tradition we have many writings discussing praying with the Saints, and to us then these are what  you might say perfectly Scriptural.

In reference to your first question about a book containing Tradition, how big of a book do you want to carry around?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »

has led to over 2000 splits of Christianity all claiming they are right

Last time I checked,it was 40.000.
Thats a lot!
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »

In reference to your first question about a book containing Tradition, how big of a book do you want to carry around?

Does that fit into an iPhone app?

Oh wait.. that's right John 20:25 Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2012, 01:49:37 AM »

This does not preclude him being a saint as well.

Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2012, 03:23:56 AM »

What is the protestant denominational sola scripture church called that you attend?

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2012, 04:12:27 AM »

Christ is not two persons  Huh

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2012, 04:19:16 AM »

Okay, all three replies are fine, however, where did this doctrine of "praying to the saints" come from?

Jesus is the sole mediator between God and Man. I feel that praying to the saints (although I agree that they are not worshiped in the EOC), it means communication with the dead, which is prohibited in Scripture.

God is not the God of the dead but of the living. Everyone who is in Christ is not dead. This is why the Old Testament needs to be read in light of the New Testament. I know that Saints work in our lives because I believe that I personally had an experience with my patron St. Augustine like a year or two ago when my dad relapsed. I was really sad and I went to bed crying. In my sleep, I had a dream where I was sitting next to St. Augustine and he was comforting me while I cried telling me it would be okay.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
kx9

« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

Neither Catholicism nor Protestantism gives Jesus the label of "Saint". I was not aware that the EOC has given Him the label of "Saint". Neither do the Scriptures.

I fail to understand why you (and maybe other EO) understand my posts differently than I intend them to be. When I made that statement, I never had the "two persons" idea in my mind.

I suggest that EO people reading my posts try to understand my viewpoints as I intended them to be. Thanks.
kx9

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »

What is the protestant denominational sola scripture church called that you attend?
That's already stated in another thread.
kx9

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »

Neither Catholicism nor Protestantism has given Jesus the label of "Saint". I was not aware that the EOC had given Him the label of "Saint". Neither do the Scriptures.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »

For you only are holy, only you are Lord Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father. Amen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:09:28 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
kx9

« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »

Okay, all three replies are fine, however, where did this doctrine of "praying to the saints" come from?

Jesus is the sole mediator between God and Man. I feel that praying to the saints (although I agree that they are not worshiped in the EOC), it means communication with the dead, which is prohibited in Scripture.
I believe that I personally had an experience with my patron St. Augustine like a year or two ago when my dad relapsed. I was really sad and I went to bed crying. In my sleep, I had a dream where I was sitting next to St. Augustine and he was comforting me while I cried telling me it would be okay.

When I was a Catholic, I never had experiences with Saints at all. However I had a "tremendous" conversion to Christ when the light of the Gospel was opened to my eyes.

May I ask a question : How did you identify that this particular saint was St. Augustine in your dream?
kx9

« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2012, 11:14:56 AM »

For you only are holy, only you are Lord Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father. Amen.

Amen.

Which post of mine did you intend to quote?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »

Amen.

The abouve one.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
kx9

« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »

Does that fit into an iPhone app?

Oh wait.. that's right John 20:25 Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I'll take that as a joke, (or is the EOC tradition actually that large?) with trillions of doctrines?

How about Matthew 11:28-30

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:23:07 AM by kx9 » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »

Obviously kx9 does not know that "saint" and "holy" are the same word in Greek (and probably Slavonic as well).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »

I'll take that as a joke, (or is the EOC tradition actually that large?) with trillions of doctrines?

Ever heard of the Gospel of John?

You seem you haven't so google it and read the last sentence of it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
kx9

« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »

Ever heard of the Gospel of John?

You seem you haven't so google it and read the last sentence of it.

John 21:25 There are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they would all be written, I suppose that even the world itself wouldn’t have room for the books that would be written.

True, but nowhere does the Scriptures state that all these [trillion) doctrines are required for Salvation. The message of the Gospel was enough to convert me.

Matthew 11:28-30 truly describes the lighter burden and Jesus has Himself offered it to me, and I accepted it. Why should we ask for an even heavier burden of trillions of doctrines to follow, when He has given us all rest?
kx9

« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »

Obviously kx9 does not know that "saint" and "holy" are the same word in Greek (and probably Slavonic as well).

Yes, I did not know. Neither do the Catholics and Protestants, that's why we never call Jesus a Saint.

Can you please show me a verse (in both English and Greek together) where a person (other than God) is referred to as a "Holy" using that Greek word. (E.g : Moses is holy or Moses was called holy... etc).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:01:12 PM by kx9 » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

Saint and Holy mean exactly the same thing in English as well.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »

Neither Catholicism nor Protestantism has given Jesus the label of "Saint". I was not aware that the EOC had given Him the label of "Saint". Neither do the Scriptures.
You may find it instructive to listen to or read this - podcast or transcript. The word "saint" is exactly the same word as "holy", or as a noun "holy one". There are many physicians, but Christ is The Physician; there are many teachers, but Christ is The Teacher; there are many shepherds (pastors, if you prefer), but Christ is The Shepherd. In the same way, there are many saints, but Christ is The Saint/Holy One. It is Scriptural.
kx9

« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »

Amen.

The abouve one.

Did you mean this one :
When I was a Catholic, I never had experiences with Saints at all. However I had a "tremendous" conversion to Christ when the light of the Gospel was opened to my eyes.

That is post 115 and your post is 114 with a five minute time gap.

If so, I'm wondering how that post appeared [below] your post? Do you think it is a bug with the forum software?
kx9

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

You may find it instructive to listen to or read this - podcast or transcript. The word "saint" is exactly the same word as "holy", or as a noun "holy one". There are many physicians, but Christ is The Physician; there are many teachers, but Christ is The Teacher; there are many shepherds (pastors, if you prefer), but Christ is The Shepherd. In the same way, there are many saints, but Christ is The Saint/Holy One. It is Scriptural.

Okay now I understand.

Can you please show me a verse (in both English and Greek together) where a person (other than God) is referred to as a "Holy" using that Greek word. (E.g : Moses is holy or Moses was called holy... etc).
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »

Amen.

The abouve one.

Did you mean this one :

That is post 115 and your post is 114 with a five minute time gap.

If so, I'm wondering how that post appeared [below] your post? Do you think it is a bug with the forum software?
I think he meant to quote this one:
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »

Neither Catholicism nor Protestantism gives Jesus the label of "Saint". I was not aware that the EOC has given Him the label of "Saint". Neither do the Scriptures.

I fail to understand why you (and maybe other EO) understand my posts differently than I intend them to be. When I made that statement, I never had the "two persons" idea in my mind.

I suggest that EO people reading my posts try to understand my viewpoints as I intended them to be. Thanks.

Actually I was talking to Nicholas.

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2012, 12:35:50 PM »

Okay now I understand.

http://www.biblegateway.com/ is an excellent and easy to use resource. I suggest you do a keyword search for "saint" in the English version of your choice, then change to a Greek version. You will consistently see the word (or a variation of) άγιος. Then do the same with the word "holy". Again you will always see the word άγιος.

Have you ever really contemplated the meaning of “Be holy, for I am holy” (I Peter 1:16, which itself refers to several passages in Leviticus)?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2012, 01:25:11 PM »

Sure. The word we're looking at here is "Agios" and its variants in Greek; "Qdosh" and its variants in Hebrew.

"I kept looking, and that horn was waging war with the holy and overpowering them until the Ancient of Days came and judgment was passed in favor of the holy of the Highest One, and the time arrived when the holy took possession of the kingdom." (Daniel 7:21-22) http://biblos.com/daniel/7-21.htm

"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the holy who are in Ephesus, and are faithful in Christ Jesus." (Ephesians) http://biblos.com/ephesians/1-1.htm

"for Herod was afraid of John, knowing that he was a righteous and holy man, and he kept him safe. And when he heard him, he was very perplexed; but he used to enjoy listening to him." (Mark 6:20) http://biblos.com/mark/6-20.htm

"Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. (2 Timothy 2:21) http://biblos.com/2_timothy/2-21.htm

"Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy." (Leviticus 19:2) http://biblos.com/leviticus/19-2.htm

To name a few examples.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:29:44 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2012, 01:33:24 PM »

Yeah, but his one person became a real holy human being.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »

Yeah, but his one person became a real holy human being.

Yes, I think I misunderstood you before.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: