OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 09:18:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about intercession prayers  (Read 6191 times) Average Rating: 0
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »

Orthodox church also allow the Christians  to offer intercession prayers to the  dead Orthodox members who are not recognised as saints, like their friends,parents and grandparents,etc.Is it better not to do ?

Because.we do not know whether they are really in heaven or not . We may have a risk of asking the help or intercession from an unsaved one which cannot really pray for us.Or We may have risk which simply chat with the air...

That wouldn't be too terrible, now would it be?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »

Orthodox church also allow the Christians  to offer intercession prayers to the  dead Orthodox members who are not recognised as saints, like their friends,parents and grandparents,etc.Is it better not to do ?

Because.we do not know whether they are really in heaven or not . We may have a risk of asking the help or intercession from an unsaved one which cannot really pray for us.Or We may have risk which simply chat with the air...
Walter, you sound as if you're afraid God won't hear your prayers if you don't have someone else interceding for you. If you make a mistake and ask the wrong person to pray for you, you think God won't hear you?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:54:47 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophan_the_Recluse

If some saints are only recognised by a local church , but not the church as a whole .Are they still in heaven?

Like st theophan the recluse.He is canonized by local Council of Russia Orthodox church, not the whole church.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:04:22 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2013, 02:03:45 PM »

All canonisations in the Orthodox Church are done by local synods.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:29 PM »

What? Huh

How can a local synod(e.g.part of Church) represent the whole Orthodox Church?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:08:04 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »

Only an Ecumenical Council can represent the whole Church, and one hasn't been called for some 1200 years now. Besides, canonisations in the early Church were also done by the local synods.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »

What? Huh

If the whole Church recognizes the canonization pronounced by a local synod.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »

What? Huh

If the whole Church recognizes the canonization pronounced by a local synod.

No one never opposed.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »

Can any former Protestant Christian share their experience which they get closer to God after they offer intercession prayers and pray with the saints?

Hope this can encourage me. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:02:48 PM by walter1234 » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »

i only prayed once to a saint before i became orthodox. it is not something you always have to do before you are orthodox.
after you become orthodox, it all slowly makes sense.
so don't rush it, i was an inquirer for 2 years before i asked the intercession of the saints for something personal.
i was singing along with the prayers in the liturgy in this time, but without fully understanding this aspect.
i didn't realise how protestant i was until i became orthodox, and then gradually left the prejudices (intercession of saints etc.) behind.

it is more important at this stage for you to pray to God, study the Bible and read about orthodoxy.
if one area confuses you a lot, move onto the next area. it will all make sense later, as God leads you.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:14:27 PM by mabsoota » Logged
Nathanael

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »

Can any former Protestant Christian share their experience which they get closer to God after they offer intercession prayers and pray with the saints?

Hope this can encourage me.

I wasn't something that I could control voluntary, but after praticing it, as humble as possibly, more and more, after some months I felt that it indeed helps to come closer to God in the way of struggling more succesfully against passions..
Especially when I read an akathist to a saint I feel that this saint is living and that he's a friend, who prays for me as well. But it was also important to me not to forget that Christ is the centre of our life and that when I feel grace during a prayer to a saint, that this grace is coming from Christ through the saint, and not directly from the saint.
I've prayers which I say daily to my favourite saints, and I you just feel and know that they're praying for me. That gives me also encouragement.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 07:22:37 PM by Nathanael » Logged

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »

I have just realized that St. Isaac of Syria was from Assyrian church of East.Why would Orthodox Church venerate a christian who is outside the church and come from heretic group?
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »

I have just realized that St. Isaac of Syria was from Assyrian church of East.Why would Orthodox Church venerate a christian who is outside the church and come from heretic group?

Quote from: Wikipedia
Isaac is remembered for his spiritual homilies on the inner life, which have a human breadth and theological depth that transcends the Nestorian Christianity of the Church to which he belonged. They survive in Syriac manuscripts and in Greek and Arabic translations. From Greek they were translated into Russian.

Isaac consciously avoided writing on topics that were disputed or discussed in the contemporary theological debates. This gives Isaac a certain ecumenical potential, and is probably the reason that he has come to be venerated and appreciated among many different Christian traditions.

More quotes on his wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Isaac_the_Syrian

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »

Isaac is remembered for his spiritual homilies on the inner life, which have a human breadth and theological depth that transcends the Nestorian Christianity of the Church to which he belonged. They survive in Syriac manuscripts and in Greek and Arabic translations. From Greek they were translated into Russian.

Isaac consciously avoided writing on topics that were disputed or discussed in the contemporary theological debates. This gives Isaac a certain ecumenical potential, and is probably the reason that he has come to be venerated and appreciated among many different Christian traditions.

Although st Isaac have many wondwrful written works, could understand and show great love and mercy of God, he was still a member of Assyrian Church of East in his life.
Is it not good to recognise a Christian who is outside the true Church as the saint?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:24:12 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »

Although st Isaac have many wondwrful written works, could understand and show great love and mercy of God, he was still a member of Assyrian Church of East in his life.
Is it not good to recognise a Christian who is outside the true Church as the saint?

But he was Orthodox, not Nestorian. So there you go.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »

Reading posts on this thread, one question kept recurring in my mind: do Orthodox only pray to official saints? Could someone clarify for me.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »

Dear Peter J,

It is quite natural for me to ask for the intercession of the uncanonized righteous in my personal prayers. 

I would not expect that to occur duing Church services, however there are certainly exceptions there.  I wouldn't be suprised if I were visiting a monastery and we asked the intercession of a righteous departed Geronda, but I would be suprised if my parish priest petitioned his YiaYia! 

love, elephant
Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »

Agree with elephant. Sometimes how a Saint becomes recognised is the local population venerating them and reporting the answered prayers.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »

What are the teachings of church fathers about intercession prayers?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:38:02 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2013, 02:39:48 PM »

What are the teachings of church fathers about intercession prayers?

I'm a little lazy, so here are some quotes.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »

Dear Peter J,

It is quite natural for me to ask for the intercession of the uncanonized righteous in my personal prayers. 

I would not expect that to occur duing Church services, however there are certainly exceptions there.  I wouldn't be suprised if I were visiting a monastery and we asked the intercession of a righteous departed Geronda, but I would be suprised if my parish priest petitioned his YiaYia! 

love, elephant

Agree with elephant. Sometimes how a Saint becomes recognised is the local population venerating them and reporting the answered prayers.

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I thought/assumed before (because that's also how it is with us Catholics) but I was wondering now after reading the conversation with walter1234 about knowing that the saint you're praying to really is a saint.

choy
Archon

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »

Dear Peter J,

love, elephant

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I thought/assumed before (because that's also how it is with us Catholics) but I was wondering now after reading the conversation with walter1234 about knowing that the saint you're praying to really is a saint.

The same thing happens in the Catholic Church.  How does, for example, Pope John Paul II become beatified or canonized if there is no one praying for his intercession and then having that prayer granted?  Of course liturgically he won't be commemorated until at least beatified, but after his death I've already have priests during Mass say "Pope John Paul the Great, Pray for Us."  Right or wrong, that is part of the process and it is the same both in the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »

And remember not to pray to the Saints directly and ask them to give or provide us anything, just ask them to pray and intercede for me.Am I correct?l

Good question. I've never been completely sure about that one way or the other.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »

Dear Peter J,

love, elephant

The same thing happens in the Catholic Church.  How does, for example, Pope John Paul II become beatified or canonized if there is no one praying for his intercession and then having that prayer granted?  Of course liturgically he won't be commemorated until at least beatified, but after his death I've already have priests during Mass say "Pope John Paul the Great, Pray for Us."  Right or wrong, that is part of the process and it is the same both in the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church.

Thanks, although that wasn't so much what I was asking. I already know that's how it is in the Catholic Church; I was asking whether it is different in the Orthodox Church.

Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »

And remember not to pray to the Saints directly and ask them to give or provide us anything, just ask them to pray and intercede for me.Am I correct?l

Good question. I've never been completely sure about that one way or the other.

One can do both, though perhaps intercession is requested more often, don't know.  This was one of my most difficult struggles coming to Orthodoxy from Protestantism,  but after a long struggle someone finally put it in a way that I got.  Just remember anything done by a Saint is done by the power of God.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: