OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:22:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about intercession prayers  (Read 5719 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: September 22, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »

I am a protestant. I want to ask some questions about intercession prayers.

Why do orthodox christians ask the saints to pray for them?? Where does the bible teach us to do so??

IF we ask the a dead believer/ saint to pray for us, we have to ensure that he must be in the heaven and communion with God  after he die. How can we know the one who we ask for intercession is in the heaven??
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:34:09 AM »

In the Orthodox Church, the Saints have already been glorified by God and He communicated this fact to The Church. Saints performed miracles, gave us teachings, died for The Faith, etc.

Well, I don't know if it's in the Bible. But this gives me the opportunity to say that The Church is not only based on the Bible alone. The Bible itself was written within what we call Holy Tradition, which is basically the life of The Church. Tradition was started by Christ and we believe that it continues until today. That is our communion with God is never broken. We believe He leads the Church and that He is with us always, as He promised. Furthermore, the Church also has clergy and this clergy must have unbroken apostolic succession.

Perhaps, this is quite a bit of info, but why we pray to saints and who is a saint gets established within The Church (with all Her aspects) and there are precise rules as to how the saints are recognized and who can recognize them. A lot of it is based on the faith and the love of the people who confess that they've been helped by the saints. Those who can make it official are the clergy.

There are many saints who have not been canonized (recognized), yet, by name. Only God knows them, yet The Church prays to all of them known and unknown, on specific days such as The Sunday of All Saints.

Why do we pray? Because they are our friends, our spiritual family and we believe that they are able to help us, much like when you ask any person for something. In this particular case, you ask for their intercession. So, since God recognized them, we do believe that they are in Heaven.

But this gets much deeper into the life of the Church. After all, what is prayer, what is intercession? In our Tradition, prayer is basically communion with God. All Orthodox struggle to achieve direct communion with God, the saints and the angels through prayer. And, this is also based on love. God is love, so He naturally loves to interact with us, and we with him, and everybody else. The Church is very much alive in a beautiful way. To us, the Faith would be unreal, pointless, if it wasn't based on this direct communion with God, the Saints and the Angels and each other, or if we didn't confess and apply this fact in all areas of our lives.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:41:12 AM by IoanC » Logged

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »

saints:
hebrews 12: 1-2
tradition:
2 thessalonians 2: 15

they are our friends, death does not separate us.
good friends pray for each other.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »

The subject of praying to saints doesn't bother me very much. I you take a look at the danish language for example, we use the word bede, which means "to pray" when we are asking other people for something (I think I have seen it used in english too). And since the saints are alive in Heaven, it is no different than adressing people here on Earth.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:29:14 AM »

In the Orthodox Church, the Saints have already been glorified by God and He communicated this fact to The Church. Saints performed miracles, gave us teachings, died for The Faith, etc.

Well, I don't know if it's in the Bible. But this gives me the opportunity to say that The Church is not only based on the Bible alone. The Bible itself was written within what we call Holy Tradition, which is basically the life of The Church. Tradition was started by Christ and we believe that it continues until today. That is our communion with God is never broken. We believe He leads the Church and that He is with us always, as He promised. Furthermore, the Church also has clergy and this clergy must have unbroken apostolic succession.

Perhaps, this is quite a bit of info, but why we pray to saints and who is a saint gets established within The Church (with all Her aspects) and there are precise rules as to how the saints are recognized and who can recognize them. A lot of it is based on the faith and the love of the people who confess that they've been helped by the saints. Those who can make it official are the clergy.

There are many saints who have not been canonized (recognized), yet, by name. Only God knows them, yet The Church prays to all of them known and unknown, on specific days such as The Sunday of All Saints.

Why do we pray? Because they are our friends, our spiritual family and we believe that they are able to help us, much like when you ask any person for something. In this particular case, you ask for their intercession. So, since God recognized them, we do believe that they are in Heaven.

But this gets much deeper into the life of the Church. After all, what is prayer, what is intercession? In our Tradition, prayer is basically communion with God. All Orthodox struggle to achieve direct communion with God, the saints and the angels through prayer. And, this is also based on love. God is love, so He naturally loves to interact with us, and we with him, and everybody else. The Church is very much alive in a beautiful way. To us, the Faith would be unreal, pointless, if it wasn't based on this direct communion with God, the Saints and the Angels and each other, or if we didn't confess and apply this fact in all areas of our lives.

I know we need to have the communion with God. He is our everything. It is imortant.

But why do we need to have the communion with the saints and angel??
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:29:42 AM by walter1234 » Logged
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »

I know we need to have the communion with God. He is our everything. It is imortant.

Because they are our brothers. We are the same Body of Christ. Out of love, or the same reason you have communion with anybody in your life. It is also important.

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »

I do think the intercessions of the Saints has at least *some* Biblical basis. The Epistle to the Hebrews describes the Saint as "a cloud of witnesses."
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:06:07 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »

Will the orthodox christians ask the angels to pray for them??
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:55:18 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »

Yes.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »

Firstly, Walter welcome to the forum.

As Ansgar basically said don't get to caught up in the language of it all. Protestants, at least here in North America, have a tendency to forget that words we use in a church context often have bigger, longer and deeper meanings than we give them credit for. When we assume that others use them the same way that we generally do, we do so at the peril of our own ability to understand that which is beyond our standard experience. Not that I'm saying that you are just a piece of advice that helped me.

As to asking anyone else to pray for us Saints, angels, etc., do you ask your Pastor to pray for you, your friends to pray for you? If so the question we really need to ask is are the Saints and angels able to pray for us? As you said how do we know they're with God. They certainly can be, as it is somewhere written He is the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. He is the God of the living, not the dead, and as Christ Himself said to the good thief "today you will be with Me in Paradise". So if they can be, are they? How do we know? How does anyone?

To answer this as someone else said you need to go beyond the Bible as it is known by Protestants today. Recall that multiple generations of Christians lived and died before anything that even closely resembles the New Testament in it's whole came into being. Even that is is only the New Testament of the Church that grew and developed within the bounds of the old Roman Empire, those Churches outside the Roman Empire developed different canons of Scripture.

Why do we need to go beyond the Bible? Because if you accept the above points your not looking for a blanket how do we know about the Saints but your looking for a specific, is Saint so and so really in Heaven. Consider then that of the hundreds or thousands of Saints who have been identified most of them are not mentioned on the Bible and a good number lived their lives after the books of the Bible were written.

If we go beyond the Bible what is there? A lot. Look at the writtings of the Ante-Nicene Fathers. Consider ancient Church hymnography, and written prayers, consider the writings of and stories of the the Saints themselves. There is so much more in writting even of early origin the most Protestants know. Happy reading to you.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:53:05 PM »

I assume you have friends and family on earth. You will not stop talking to them, just because you only need communion with God, right? You will not say to your parents, "I don't need you anymore, I have God!" No, being in communion with other people is part of our communion with God, and this communion is not broken by death.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »

Why do orthodox christians ask the saints to pray for them?? Where does the bible teach us to do so??

IF we ask the a dead believer/ saint to pray for us, we have to ensure that he must be in the heaven and communion with God  after he die. How can we know the one who we ask for intercession is in the heaven??

“Brethren, pray for us” (1 Thess. 5.25)
“finally, brethren, pray for us…” (2 Thess 3.1)
Hebrews 13.18:  “pray for us”
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:15:10 PM »

“Brethren, pray for us” (1 Thess. 5.25)
“finally, brethren, pray for us…” (2 Thess 3.1)
Hebrews 13.18:  “pray for us”

Yes ^^^ this, and remember that the saints are alive and considered brothers & sisters in Heaven.
Also Mary in Heaven is alive, and is often asked to pray for us.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »

Why would we not?

It's the communion of saints--it's in the creed, it's referenced in Scripture. On Tabor, the Apostles did not just see Jesus, but Moses, Elijah, and each other. They all experienced the glory of God. They were all taken in the cloud. It's good to be there.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »

This is what angels and saints do. We're only entering into their labor.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 02:10:24 AM »

The following is a relatively short article that prove based on the bible that we not only can, but must seek and offer intercession prayers.
https://sites.google.com/site/syrianorthodox/home/articles/intercession-prayer

NULL
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »

It's the communion of saints--it's in the creed, it's referenced in Scripture. On Tabor, the Apostles did not just see Jesus, but Moses, Elijah, and each other. They all experienced the glory of God. They were all taken in the cloud. It's good to be there.

wow, i didn't think about this before.

and dhinuus, that article is so good, i have immediately downloaded it to my computer to help me to answer my protestant friends.

thanks a lot, all who have contributed to this thread.
 Smiley
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 03:50:13 AM »

I am confused now.

As what we know, After the saints and follower of Christs die , they would go to Hade/Sheol and be in the state of death.They would not  raise from death, alive again and stay in the glory of God immediately .However, They will hear the voice of Jesus, raise from death,alive again, reward and recieve the glory of God in the Final judgement

Why do orthodox christians teach that the saints and the followers of Jesus will immedieately alive again,stay in the glory of God and even pray from us after they die??

Byzantine2008
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 04:01:47 AM »

I am confused now.

As what we know, After the saints and follower of Christs die , they would go to Hade/Sheol and be in the state of death.They would not  raise from death, alive again and stay in the glory of God immediately .However, They will hear the voice of Jesus, raise from death,alive again, reward and recieve the glory of God in the Final judgement

Why do orthodox christians teach that the saints and the followers of Jesus will immedieately alive again,stay in the glory of God and even pray from us after they die??

Wow..

Isn't this being discussed in another thread?

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 05:55:03 AM »

In debates like these I used to say "the saints are more alive than we are". Each time I said that, however, I got flamed by the protestants.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 06:06:33 AM »

"the saints are more alive than we are"?

But they are still in hade / Sheol/death.They have not  raised from death, alive again and receive the glory of God yet. All these will happen after the Final Judgement. How to explain it?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:09:29 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 06:18:21 AM »

But they are still in hade / Sheol/death.They have not  raised from death, alive again and receive the glory of God yet. All these will happen after the Final Judgement. How to explain it?

No, they're in heaven, not in some limbus patrum.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:19:28 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »

wow, i didn't think about this before.

and dhinuus, that article is so good, i have immediately downloaded it to my computer to help me to answer my protestant friends.

thanks a lot, all who have contributed to this thread.
 Smiley
I bookmarked the article myself.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 06:48:13 AM »

But they are still in hade / Sheol/death.They have not  raised from death, alive again and receive the glory of God yet. All these will happen after the Final Judgement. How to explain it?

No, they're in heaven, not in some limbus patrum.

I am Still confused.

As what orthodox church teaches, no matter righteounesss or wickedness men, they still have to go to Sheol/ Hade after the die. They all wait to hear the voice of Jesus. After it, they will all raise from death, alive again. For the righteouness men, they will receive the reward from Jesus as well as stay and enjoy in glory and presence of God Forever after the Final judgement.

Why are the saints already in the heaven now? Can you explain it more detail?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:52:04 AM by walter1234 » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 06:55:03 AM »

Did you read the article dhinnus posted? It explains very well that we simply do not believe that they are dead. When you say that they won't be raised from the dead until the Last Judgement, you are correct - but this is the bodily resurrection. Those who have passed on are alive but not in the body.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 10:04:12 AM »

Christ is risen from the dead,
    Trampling down death by death,
    And upon those in the tombs
    Bestowing life!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »

Sheol is empty since the Resurrection of Christ. The general resurrection that is awaited is the resurrection of the body, that is the reuniting of the soul and body. No more is the soul imprisoned in the place of the dead, for Chirst has conquered death and dissolved its power.

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »

Can anyone share their personal testimony about the intercession prayers?Is there any changes before and after they do intercession prayers?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:16 PM »

You mean, do they work? Yes, they often do.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 12:02:56 AM »

Walter,

I would recommend the article linked above, it does a very good job explaining the Orthodox position on the communion of saints. However, let me also try to briefly address your questions.

The Orthodox teach that, before Christ, things were as you are saying. All those who died entered Hades (Sheol, if you prefer...the Abode of the Dead) and were without hope of ever leaving. Then, Christ came and died, but Christ is Life and the Author of Life, and could not die. He shattered the gates of death (of Hades/Sheol) and saves those who trust in Him from it. The righteous departed, whom we call "saints", those people who lived before Christ and after Him, those who are both known to us that we call saints and those who are known only to God, are united to Christ, as St. Paul says:

"It is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me." (Galatians 2:20)

If Christ lives in us, how can we die? Jesus Himself says:

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die." (John 11:25-26)

We're told that, even though we die, we shall live...and even that we will never die, if we live and believe in Christ. But, how can that be, since everyone dies? Does that mean no one is living and believing in Christ? Of course not! Christ here is talking about dying spiritually. Our bodies die, and we all wait for our bodies to be resurrected at the last day, but we never truly die if we live in Christ. This is how the saints are alive, and we can pray to them and with them...because they are alive in Christ.

Jesus even promises the thief on the cross that he will live with Christ, "Today you will be with me in Paradise." (Luke 23:43) No one really questions that, of course, Christ is speaking of heaven. He doesn't tell the thief (who the Church knows as St. Dismas) that he will be with Christ "in the last day" or "after the resurrection", but "today." The saints, like St. Dismis, live today with Christ in heaven...while they await for the fullness of the Kingdom of God, when they will be resurrected in their bodies.

I hope this helps you, Walter. I'm glad to see you asking so many questions. Smiley

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2012, 12:48:50 AM »

Can anyone share their personal testimony about the intercession prayers?Is there any changes before and after they do intercession prayers?

When we started going to the Church we go to now, an issue we had was that my wife couldn't handle the incense. She grew up in a church that used incense, it was an issue for her then, and she couldn't handle it in our current church.

One Saturday night I had the sense, I don't remember how, that she should ask the intersession of the Theotokos. I shared that with her the next morning on the way to church, and she did say a prayer to the Theotokos. When we got to church I could smell the incense at the door she couldn't even smell it in the nave. Since then it has never been an issue for her.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »

Origen

But not the high priest [Christ] alone prays for those who pray sincerely, but also the angels... as also the souls of the saints who have already fallen asleep (On Prayer II [A.D. 233]).

Pectorius

Aschandius, my father, dearly beloved of my heart, with my sweet mother and my brethren, remember your Pectorius in the peace of the Fish [Christ] (Epitaph [A.D. 250]).

Cyprian

Let us remember one another in concord and unanimity. Let us on both sides always pray for one another. Let us relieve burdens and afflictions by mutual love, that if one of us, by the swiftness of divine condescension, shall go hence the first, our love may continue in the presence of the Lord, and our prayers for our brethren and sisters not cease in the presence of the Father's mercy (Letters 56[60]:5 [A.D. 252]).

Anonymous

Atticus, sleep in peace, secure in your safety, and pray anxiously for our sins (funerary inscription near St. Sabina's in Rome [A.D. 300]).

Anonymous

Pray for your parents, Matronata Matrona. She lived one year, fifty-two days (ibid.).

Cyril of Jerusalem

Then [during the Eucharistic prayer] we make mention also of those who have already fallen asleep: first, the patriarchs, prophets, apostles, and martyrs, that through their prayers and supplications God would receive our petition... (Catechetical Lectures 23:9 [A.D. 350]).

Anonymous

Mother of God, [listen to] my petitions; do not disregard us in adversity, but rescue us from danger (Rylands Papyrus 3 [A.D. 350]).

Hilary of Poitiers

To those who would fain to stand, neither the guardianship of saints nor the defenses of angels are wanting (Commentary on the Psalms 124:5:6 [A.D. 365]).

Ephraem of Syria

Remember me, you heirs of God, you brethren of Christ; supplicate the Savior earnestly for me, that I may be freed through Christ from him that fights against me day by day (De Timore, Anim. in fin. [A.D. 370]).

Liturgy of St. Basil

By the command of your only-begotten Son we communicate with the memory of your saints . . . by whose prayers and supplications have mercy upon us all, and deliver us for the sake of your holy name (Liturgy of St. Basil [A.D. 373]).

Gregory Nazianzen

Yes, I am well assured that [my father's] intercession is of more avail now than was his instruction in former days, since he is closer to God, now that he has shaken off his bodily fetters, and freed his mind from the clay that obscured it, and holds conversation naked with the nakedness of the prime and purest mind . . . (Orations 18:4 [A.D. 374]).

May you [Cyprian] look down from above propitiously upon us, and guide our word and life; and shepherd this sacred flock . . . gladden the Holy Trinity, before which you stand (Orations 17 [24] [A.D. 376]),

Gregory of Nyssa

Do you, [Ephraem] that art standing at the divine altar . . . bear us all in remembrance, petitioning for us the remission of sins, and the fruition of an everlasting kingdom (Sermon on Ephraem the Syrian [A.D. 380]).

Ambrose of Milan

May Peter, who wept so efficaciously for himself, weep for us and turn towards us Christ's benign countenance (Hexameron 5:25:90 [A.D. 388]).

John Chrysostom

He that wears the purple . . . stands begging of the saints to be his patrons with God, and he that wears a diadem begs the tent-maker [Paul] and the fisherman [Peter] as patrons, even though they be dead" (Homilies on 2 Corinthians 26 [A.D. 392]).

When you perceive that God is chastening you, fly not to his enemies . . . but to his friends, the martyrs, the saints, and those who were pleasing to him, and who have great power [in God] (Orations 8:6 [A.D. 396]).

Augustine

A Christian people celebrate together in religious solemnity the memorials of the martyrs, both to encourage their being imitated and so that it can share in their merits and be aided by their prayers (Against Faustus the Manichean [A.D. 400]).

Jerome

You say in your book that while we live we are able to pray for each other, but afterwards when we have died, the prayer of no person for another can be heard . . . But if the apostles and martyrs while still in the body can pray for others, at a time when they ought still be solicitous about themselves, how much more will they do so after their crowns, victories, and triumphs? (Against Vigilantius 6 [A.D. 406]).

http://www.staycatholic.com/ecf_intercession.htm

I want to ask one question. Are there any records about intercession prayers  in 1st - 2nd century?
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »

I want to ask one question. Are there any records about intercession prayers  in 1st - 2nd century?

Wasn't this the reason Early Christians prayed in the crypts of their departed brethren?
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »

Wasn't this the reason Early Christians prayed in the crypts of their departed brethren?
I remember reading a portion of St. Polycarp's epistle which seemed to allude to intercessory prayers. I'll try to give a reference tomorrow.

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »

Origen

But not the high priest [Christ] alone prays for those who pray sincerely, but also the angels... as also the souls of the saints who have already fallen asleep (On Prayer II [A.D. 233]).

Pectorius

Aschandius, my father, dearly beloved of my heart, with my sweet mother and my brethren, remember your Pectorius in the peace of the Fish [Christ] (Epitaph [A.D. 250]).

Cyprian

Let us remember one another in concord and unanimity. Let us on both sides always pray for one another. Let us relieve burdens and afflictions by mutual love, that if one of us, by the swiftness of divine condescension, shall go hence the first, our love may continue in the presence of the Lord, and our prayers for our brethren and sisters not cease in the presence of the Father's mercy (Letters 56[60]:5 [A.D. 252]).

Anonymous

Atticus, sleep in peace, secure in your safety, and pray anxiously for our sins (funerary inscription near St. Sabina's in Rome [A.D. 300]).

Anonymous

Pray for your parents, Matronata Matrona. She lived one year, fifty-two days (ibid.).

Cyril of Jerusalem

Then [during the Eucharistic prayer] we make mention also of those who have already fallen asleep: first, the patriarchs, prophets, apostles, and martyrs, that through their prayers and supplications God would receive our petition... (Catechetical Lectures 23:9 [A.D. 350]).

Anonymous

Mother of God, [listen to] my petitions; do not disregard us in adversity, but rescue us from danger (Rylands Papyrus 3 [A.D. 350]).

Hilary of Poitiers

To those who would fain to stand, neither the guardianship of saints nor the defenses of angels are wanting (Commentary on the Psalms 124:5:6 [A.D. 365]).

Ephraem of Syria

Remember me, you heirs of God, you brethren of Christ; supplicate the Savior earnestly for me, that I may be freed through Christ from him that fights against me day by day (De Timore, Anim. in fin. [A.D. 370]).

Liturgy of St. Basil

By the command of your only-begotten Son we communicate with the memory of your saints . . . by whose prayers and supplications have mercy upon us all, and deliver us for the sake of your holy name (Liturgy of St. Basil [A.D. 373]).

Gregory Nazianzen

Yes, I am well assured that [my father's] intercession is of more avail now than was his instruction in former days, since he is closer to God, now that he has shaken off his bodily fetters, and freed his mind from the clay that obscured it, and holds conversation naked with the nakedness of the prime and purest mind . . . (Orations 18:4 [A.D. 374]).

May you [Cyprian] look down from above propitiously upon us, and guide our word and life; and shepherd this sacred flock . . . gladden the Holy Trinity, before which you stand (Orations 17 [24] [A.D. 376]),

Gregory of Nyssa

Do you, [Ephraem] that art standing at the divine altar . . . bear us all in remembrance, petitioning for us the remission of sins, and the fruition of an everlasting kingdom (Sermon on Ephraem the Syrian [A.D. 380]).

Ambrose of Milan

May Peter, who wept so efficaciously for himself, weep for us and turn towards us Christ's benign countenance (Hexameron 5:25:90 [A.D. 388]).

John Chrysostom

He that wears the purple . . . stands begging of the saints to be his patrons with God, and he that wears a diadem begs the tent-maker [Paul] and the fisherman [Peter] as patrons, even though they be dead" (Homilies on 2 Corinthians 26 [A.D. 392]).

When you perceive that God is chastening you, fly not to his enemies . . . but to his friends, the martyrs, the saints, and those who were pleasing to him, and who have great power [in God] (Orations 8:6 [A.D. 396]).

Augustine

A Christian people celebrate together in religious solemnity the memorials of the martyrs, both to encourage their being imitated and so that it can share in their merits and be aided by their prayers (Against Faustus the Manichean [A.D. 400]).

Jerome

You say in your book that while we live we are able to pray for each other, but afterwards when we have died, the prayer of no person for another can be heard . . . But if the apostles and martyrs while still in the body can pray for others, at a time when they ought still be solicitous about themselves, how much more will they do so after their crowns, victories, and triumphs? (Against Vigilantius 6 [A.D. 406]).

http://www.staycatholic.com/ecf_intercession.htm

There is a prayer to the Theotokos "Under Your Compassion" dated AD 250;  the earliest recorded prayer addressed to Mary, and still used in the Orthodox Church. Will that do?  

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:37 PM »

Intercession of the saints is a doctrine held by Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and some Anglican churches, that saints including the Blessed Virgin Mary may be asked to intercede (or pray) for others. The doctrine of requesting intercession from saints can be found in Christian writings from the 3rd century AD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercession_of_saints

I found the above statement from wikipedia . There is no record of intercession prayer among A.D.33- A.D 200 (e.g. 1st- 2nd century) . Is it true?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:55:37 PM by walter1234 » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 03:59:35 PM »

Intercession of the saints is a doctrine held by Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholic, and some Anglican churches, that saints including the Blessed Virgin Mary may be asked to intercede (or pray) for others. The doctrine of requesting intercession from saints can be found in Christian writings from the 3rd century AD

I found the above statement from wikipedia . There is no record of intercession prayer among A.D.33- A.D 200 (e.g. 1st- 2nd century) . Is it true?

Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence...
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »

As far as I know, the earliest extant manuscripts we have of intercessory prayers would be, as mentioned earlier, the text of "Beneath Thy Compassion", addressed to the Theotokos, around A.D. 250.

That said, the Papyrus that this was found on was the Ryland's Papyrus, which contains many ancient Christian texts. It is also the earliest copies we have of some Gospel passages. Do you believe those passages were written in the third century, or are they copies from earlier? Your answer could very easily be said of the prayer "Beneath Thy Compassion", which shares the papyrus with those passages.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »

When we started going to the Church we go to now, an issue we had was that my wife couldn't handle the incense. She grew up in a church that used incense, it was an issue for her then, and she couldn't handle it in our current church.

One Saturday night I had the sense, I don't remember how, that she should ask the intersession of the Theotokos. I shared that with her the next morning on the way to church, and she did say a prayer to the Theotokos. When we got to church I could smell the incense at the door she couldn't even smell it in the nave. Since then it has never been an issue for her.

Glory to God and His mother!

The best advice I got when I was first becoming Orthodox was, "Pray to the Mother of God."

We love God and have a relationship with him. And we also love His saints and also have relationships with them. Why wouldn't we? We are a family.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »

Absence of evidence does not mean evidence of absence...

Upon this rock many have built their church.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »

9.When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10.There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.

11.Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12.For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

13.Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

Some Protestant Christians said that we should not pray to saints according to Deuteronomy 18: 9-13 . What is the difference between cosulter with familiar spirits , necromancer  and intercession prayer?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 05:36:52 AM by walter1234 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »

9.When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.

10.There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.

11.Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12.For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

13.Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

Some Protestant Christians said that we should not pray to saints according to Deuteronomy 18: 9-13 . What is the difference between cosulter with familiar spirits , necromancer  and intercession prayer?
For one, when we pray to the saints, we're not trying to conjure up the spirits of the dead.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »

I remember reading a portion of St. Polycarp's epistle which seemed to allude to intercessory prayers. I'll try to give a reference tomorrow.

Well?

-Samuel Coleridge
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »

Well?
Here:

"Pray for all the saints. Pray also for kings, and potentates, and princes, and for those that persecute and hate you, and for the enemies of the cross, that your fruit may be manifest to all, and that you may be perfect in Him." -Chapter 12

Not sure if that really helps. Undecided
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:22:37 PM by Severian » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »

Well?
Here:

"Pray for all the saints. Pray also for kings, and potentates, and princes, and for those that persecute and hate you, Matthew 5:44 and for the enemies of the cross, that your fruit may be manifest to all, and that you may be perfect in Him." -Chapter 12

Not sure if that really helps. Undecided

See also: The Martyrdom of Ignatius, 7

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: