OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 06:53:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persecution of Orthodox Christians  (Read 716 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: February 17, 2013, 05:05:30 AM »

These are just some thoughts that are coming to my head before I turn in for bed tonight. I was just wondering and thinking, how come none of the really famous Orthodox Christian celebrities in the West right now are doing absolutely nothing to help the persecuted Orthodox Christians around the world? Take figures such as Jennifer Aniston, Jim Belushi and John Travolta; they are easily the most famous Orthodox Christians in the world and have pretty much the entire western media watching their every move, with the money to go pretty much anywhere they want.

Yet, they do absolutely nothing to help their persecution brethren in backwards parts of the world. How could they honestly call themselves Orthodox Christians if they aren't doing anything to help them--even though they are perfectly capable of doing it? If they were to use their vast wealth to go out and visit these places, bringing camera crews and the western media with them, then they could expose the horrible conditions that so many Orthodox Christians are facing in backwards parts of the world, and then finally maybe the West would do something to help them or pressure these backwards governments into treating them better.

Other celebrities have done it for their own causes. Ice Cube used his fame to touch upon urban youth problems, so why can't these Orthodox celebrities do anything? I'm just saying, if I were famous, I would exploit every last bit of my fame, fortune and spotlight to help persecuted Orthodox Christians, bring the western world into these areas, fund propoganda commercials exposing the brutal conditions, publically speak out against the persecution and fund resistance groups. And what are these backwards places going to do about it? Kill me? So what. Then that would put them even more at the center of the western spotlight, since they killed a celebrity.

But no. The Orthodox celebrities--even some of the Patriarchs--are too busy eating caviar, hanging out at fancy parties and wasting their wealth away on things they don't need, when it is probably within their power to help persecuted Orthodox Christians. If some guy with a camera was able to cause a nationwide uproar just from filming Rodney King getting beat up, imagine the international uproar a celebrity with all the wealth and resources they need could cause if they were to expose and film the persecution of Orthodox Christians. And why does the Ecumenical Patriarch go on blabbering about the environment, when he could be doing something about persecution? He met with Obama before, and he didn't mention a thing about our persecution. If I were famous and got to meet Obama live on television, my first question to him would be why he won't do anything to help persecuted Orthodox Christians in the world.

/hyperdox herman rant

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:35 AM »

John Travolta; they are easily the most famous Orthodox Christians in the world

When was the last time John Travolta was Orthodox?  He is higher in the Scientology chain than Tom Cruise.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 05:18:31 AM »

When was the last time John Travolta was Orthodox?  He is higher in the Scientology chain than Tom Cruise.

You beat me to it, choy. Indeed, was John Travolta ever Orthodox? I doubt it. Wiki says he was raised Roman Catholic, which figures, given his Italian ancestry.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:20:25 AM by LBK » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 05:22:14 AM »

When was the last time John Travolta was Orthodox?  He is higher in the Scientology chain than Tom Cruise.

You beat me to it, choy. Indeed, was John Travolta ever Orthodox? I doubt it. Wiki says he was raised Roman Catholic, which figures, given his Italian ancestry.

In a way this is a good sign.  It means JamesR has kept away from those trashy celebrity news if he doesn't know that John Travolta is one of the leading celebrity Scientologists in the world. Grin Grin Grin
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 05:23:57 AM »

This is heresy. The article I looked at about a year ago listing Orthodox celebrities had John Travolta on it. Anyhow, well, the same question still applies to all and any Orthodox celebrities; why don't they do anything to help persecuted Orthodox Christians? They could easily exploit their wealth, fame and celebrity status to bring international attention to the situation.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 05:33:33 AM »

This is heresy. The article I looked at about a year ago listing Orthodox celebrities had John Travolta on it. Anyhow, well, the same question still applies to all and any Orthodox celebrities; why don't they do anything to help persecuted Orthodox Christians? They could easily exploit their wealth, fame and celebrity status to bring international attention to the situation.

Is it Wikipedia?  Because that list on Wikipedia is lightyears from being accurate.  I remember seeing Dwyane Wade on that list.  He was never Orthodox.  His mom is a Protestant minister and some years ago he even bought her a church for her ministry.

Anyway, how many celebrities are actually practicing their religion anyway?  Sometimes I'm disappointed at Colbert that he doesn't push the pro-Life agenda on his show.  I mean, c'mon, it is so easy to make fun of Planned Parenthood.  Liberal ex-Catholic Conan O'Brien even beat him to that.
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:18 AM »

Anyway, don't expect much from celebs.  They need to keep an image to be marketable.

This reminds me, Michael Jordan is a hot topic again on sports websites because it is his 50th birthday.  But years ago when he was playing, someone commented on his "marketing genius".  That despite a microscope put on him, he has completely stayed away from making any political statements about anything.  Even today you don't hear him talk about things like gay marriage or abortion or the wars the US is involved in.  So many athletes are coming up with positions on many issues.  He has stayed away.  That is why he sells shoes and other products, he doesn't alienate potential customers.  And that is why he is still highly revered by his fans, because he doesn't talk about things other than basketball that may make those who love him turn on him.  So most celebs will either ride the popular opinion, or just keep quiet on those issues.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 05:46:38 AM »

Anyway, don't expect much from celebs.  They need to keep an image to be marketable.

Stupid self-conscious celebrities. John Lennon, Tupac, Ice-Cube, Bob Marley and RATM were all socially active in causes and didn't give a heck what anyone thought of them.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 07:38:44 AM »

Let's not be too hasty. It could be that they are doing some charity work and just don't talk about it.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »

Another one proof this board is read by some important people.

This is so ridiculous I cannot stop laughing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:32:44 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »

And why does the Ecumenical Patriarch go on blabbering about the environment, when he could be doing something about persecution? He met with Obama before, and he didn't mention a thing about our persecution.
oh?

Peace.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

Stupid self-conscious celebrities. John Lennon, Tupac, Ice-Cube, Bob Marley and RATM were all socially active in causes and didn't give a heck what anyone thought of them.

But did they do anything about the persecution of Orthodox Christians?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »

Jennifer Aniston, Jim Belushi and John Travolta; they are easily the most famous Orthodox Christians in the world and have pretty much the entire western media watching their every move

Cheesy

Joe: 'Is it creepy for a 35 year old guy to date a 19 year old girl?'
Desiree: 'Not if she's the one to push for the relationship, babe.'
Joe: 'But...'
Desiree: 'You'll shut up if you're smart.'
Joe: 'Ok.'
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »

It seems to me one has to care about saving oneself before one can really care about saving others.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »

As Angsar said, they could be doing charity that we don't know about.
Many of the famous Orthodox Christians from Lebanon are known for their charity work and support for the church.

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »

John Travolta has declared anathema against Zenu.....there, we got both sides in.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »

I'm not sure any persecution has been stopped through whining.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »

It seems to me one has to care about saving oneself before one can really care about saving others.

What about saving yourself through helping others?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »

You misunderstood me. How can you truly help others if you don't care about your own soul? You may still greatly miss the mark.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »

You misunderstood me. How can you truly help others if you don't care about your own soul? You may still greatly miss the mark.

Well I mean by like giving them money and relief, trying to gain international attention for their cause, even just giving some words of encouragement like "hang in there". I don't see Orthodox celebrities doing any of this really.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »

Well I mean by like giving them money and relief, trying to gain international attention for their cause, even just giving some words of encouragement like "hang in there". I don't see Orthodox celebrities doing any of this really.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean they don't do it. We're commanded to give alms in secret anyway. "Hang in there, Coptic Christians while you're being tortured, killed, and driven from your homes" from a celebrity sounds rather trite. Who are celebrities? Are they anyone? Does anyone in Upper Egypt know or care?

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 10:27:58 PM »

Does Jim Caviziel (sp.?) narrating a documentary on the persecution of the Assyrian Christians in Iraq count? I have met a few Orthodox who identify as Assyrian (including one Copt!), though not many...

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »

James,

Though I do not know any of them personally, I can only guess as to what the scriptures say.  "It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven".

These actors (I believe Tom Hanks is or was EO) and actresses do not represent in their work that of Orthodox Christians anyway.   Aniston for example has worked in many films that exploit ludeness, adultery, and violence.  Sitcoms she has been in exploit these things as well. 

Celebrities can bring to light the subject of persecution easily.   We all fall short of the Glory of God.  There are also many rich (non celebrity) EO Christians that could help stop persecution.   Also our prayers.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »

I don't think there was ever any violence on "Friends." I don't get where you get these things.

rakovsky
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 01:00:43 AM »

The main answer to your question in the OP, James R, is that Orthodox are not common among Hollywood celebrities. There are movies showing Orthodoxy in general. The movie the Deer Hunter began by showing a beautiful Orthodox church in Ohio and then the harsh conditions faced by its parishioners who got sent to the Vietnam War.

Willem Defoe, who has been in about 70 movies, was an actor in the movie Miral. I think this movie portrayed the hard situation of girls attending schools at a convent in the Holy Land due to the overall situation there. The school was Catholic, but Orthodox are the largest group of Christians in the Holy Land.
This actor should be somewhat familiar:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000353
Another actor in the movie, Juliano Mer-Khamis had an Orthodox mother.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:05:44 AM by rakovsky » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:50 PM »

I don't think there was ever any violence on "Friends." I don't get where you get these things.

biro,

I believe you critique me worse than anyone ever has to make your point.

my original post
James,

Though I do not know any of them personally, I can only guess as to what the scriptures say.  "It is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven".

These actors (I believe Tom Hanks is or was EO) and actresses do not represent in their work that of Orthodox Christians anyway.   Aniston for example has worked in many films that exploit ludeness, adultery, and violence.  Sitcoms she has been in exploit these things as well.

Celebrities can bring to light the subject of persecution easily.   We all fall short of the Glory of God.  There are also many rich (non celebrity) EO Christians that could help stop persecution.   Also our prayers.

So you take the one instant of "friends", attribute that I said "sitcoms".... "I don't know where you get these things". 

Okay, you got me.  I can't remember watching an episode of "friends" where Aniston was violent.  I hope you are happy in my wrongness, and your rightness.

I guess I was more focused on:

Wanderlust - An R rated movie about "free love" starring an Orthodox Christian
Horrible Bosses - Where the EO Christian stars in a movie featuring lust, violence, perversion, and adultery
Just go with it - Riddled in adultery themes, immodest dress, by an EO Christian
Bounty Hunter - Where the EO stars in a film with plenty of violence

Of course, I don't have all day to fill out the rest of the rap sheet by this EO Christian.

Also the other post, you were so right.  It's "Do what THOU wilt shall be the whole of the law".  NOT "Do what thy wilt shall be the whole of the law".

I appreciate your rightness and exactness and how you have proven me to be the epiphany of disinformation.   Because you know, Aniston was probably not violent in Friends..... But she was adulterous in it plenty, but starred in many other venues that had much violence.   You are so right, and I am so wrong.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »

How many violent movies has she been in? Can you name them without searching for them? (I'm pretty sure the answer to both questions is 'zero.' I mean, the worst thing that happened in 'Office Space' was she got mad at her boss, and someone threw a fax machine on the ground and kicked the heck out of it, but she wasn't in that scene, and fax machines aren't human.)

Was her character even married in "Friends"?

What are you doing even watching TV, let alone trying to diagnose the ills of society, when you keep saying you're quasi-Amish and you shouldn't even be looking at these shows?

Stop with the passive-aggressive little chips like the one at the end. They don't work.

You could actually keep your kids away from this stuff. Or, you could complain again. Guess what I think you'll do?

choy
Archon

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 10:13:59 PM »

Of course there was.  Remember that episode where they flicked each other's foreheads?  Or the times when Rachael jumps on Monica?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »

Yeah, that poor couch.  Cry

Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »

Really?  Is that what it is about?  Answer: No.

Peace.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »

How many violent movies has she been in? Can you name them without searching for them? (I'm pretty sure the answer to both questions is 'zero.' I mean, the worst thing that happened in 'Office Space' was she got mad at her boss, and someone threw a fax machine on the ground and kicked the heck out of it, but she wasn't in that scene, and fax machines aren't human.)

Was her character even married in "Friends"?

What are you doing even watching TV, let alone trying to diagnose the ills of society, when you keep saying you're quasi-Amish and you shouldn't even be looking at these shows?

Stop with the passive-aggressive little chips like the one at the end. They don't work.

You could actually keep your kids away from this stuff. Or, you could complain again. Guess what I think you'll do?

You are so critical of me, it is sickening.  If you do not like the facts I present to you about Orthodox Christianity, then I am sorry.  But your personal dislike for me is clouding facts.

Yes, I can name movies she was in that had plenty of violence.  I've already named some. Horrible bosses is one of them, where men plot out to murder their bosses.  She was a lustful adulterous boss. Or how about her part role in Bruce Almighty, where God is blasphemed? Or Derailed, where an adulterous affair turns to violence....   She has starred in many rated R movies.

In Friends, many references to sex pre-marriage.

You asked:

but started with
Can you name them without searching for them?

So you question why I watch movies, but start with "I can't name them without looking them up".

Well my friend, your rightness proceeds your own argument.

So if I have not watched them, and I have not looked them up, then how can I name them?  LOL

Of course I looked them up.  But that doesn't change the fact that an Eastern Orthodox Christian is starring in movies with violence, adultery, ludeness, etc.

I did see the Friends shows a few times a few years back, and it was full of adultery.  I believe her character was quoted as sleeping with her boyfriends several times.   The other stars on the show also had adulterous affairs.

I've seen a couple of her movies years back.

But this is not my point, my point is you being critical of me, which is ridiculous.  If you want to nitpick details because I stated "she starred in movies and sitcoms that depicted adultery, violence, and lust", and take the one example of "Friends" and point out it is not violent, THAT is ridiculous.   That sitcom was so full of adultery, fornication, and lust.  Other things she has been in had much violence.  Not befitting of a Christian.

In your comment back you were again being critical.  Stating how I am "quasi-Amish".   FYI, there are many branches of Amish that use technology.  Many branches of Mennonites do as well.  As do Hutterites.   I've stated that I would consider myself along these lines, as the quality of their family life is wonderful.

I still watch documentaries, other educational venues, but rarely will watch a show that is "entertainment".

To be back on topic, my argument about Aniston, Tom Hanks, etc., is that their work depicts and/or promotes evil sins to the masses.  An Eastern Orthodox Christian knows better than to do work such as this, thus I would not consider them to be serious in their faith.   This is why I believe these wealthy famous people do not speak up for EO Christians in persecution in other lands.    I am actually giving very positive reflection on the EO faith here, not attacking it at all.   I do not believe a "real" Eastern Orthodox Christian would allow themselves to be sold out.

Kirk Cameron, who is a protestant, strayed from these types of venues.  He made movies and documentaries that embraced Christianity and fought against corruption (especially in the last decade).

It would only be a dream to have somebody as famous as Aniston or Tom Hanks to bring fourth the issue of Eastern Orthodox persecution.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »

Really?  Is that what it is about?  Answer: No.

Yes, that is what it is about -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655460/?ref_=sr_1

This is an EO Christian starring in a movie that is rated "R" and contains many elements of "Free Love". \

It has one of the worst ratings on dove.org, and was considered so non-Christian, that they would not even review it.  Apparently it has horrible language & nudity.
http://www.dove.org/reviewmasterframe.asp

Pretty bad when you consider that dove actually reviewed the current movie "Bullet to the Head", but considered "wanderlust" starring an EO Christian as too horrible to review.
http://www.dove.org/reviewpopup.asp?Unique_ID=9759

She should know better.  I wish she would change and consider the persecuted Christians, but so long as one sells out like this, I don't see it happening.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »

"Hang in there, Coptic Christians while you're being tortured, killed, and driven from your homes" from a celebrity sounds rather trite. Who are celebrities? Are they anyone? Does anyone in Upper Egypt know or care?

I don't know. Sometimes simple encouragement does actually help make things more bearable for people. Plus, even if it means nothing, that still doesn't mean that the topic of persecution wouldn't be finally brought up in the West. Maybe if an Orthodox celebrity used their fame to bring light upon the issue, then the West would finally do something to combat the persecution?

Problems among youth in urban America received national attention due to rappers explicitly speaking out about it in their music, so why can't the same be done for persecuted Orthodox Christians? While Jesus did say to give alms in secret, He also said that a lamp shouldn't go under a basket and to proclaim what you have heard and seen at the hilltop. Orthodox celebrities are in the perfect position to bring international attention to the persecution of their brothers in places like Egypt, yet, they would rather instead use their fame to show off their butts or argue about over who wore what last week etc.

Tupac funded pre-schools and gave tons of his money to charity all the while speaking out about what he viewed as social injustice, and he was far from the perfect role model and wasn't even Orthodox. So why can't an Orthodox celebrity--someone who alleged adheres to the faith that established the world--do something for the persecuted Orthodox Christians in the world?

Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »

Yes, that is what it is about -
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655460/?ref_=sr_1
what is this link supposed to do for me?  I've seen the movie twice, I KNOW what it's about.

This is an EO Christian starring in a movie that is rated "R" and contains many elements of "Free Love".
ahhhh I see.  So you are confusing "is about" with "has elements of."  Those, my friend, are not the same thing.

It has one of the worst ratings on dove.org, and was considered so non-Christian, that they would not even review it.  Apparently it has horrible language & nudity.
yep. yes it does.

Pretty bad when you consider that dove actually reviewed the current movie "Bullet to the Head", but considered "wanderlust" starring an EO Christian as too horrible to review.
I'm actually not surprised.  Many christian movie review sites have horrible double standards.  I'll never forget the fact that Plugged In Online gave a glowing review of Passion of the Christ, but denounced Apocalypto, another Gibson directed film, as being too violent.  So no, I'm not surprised that they reviewed a violent film about redemptive violence...but declined to review a film with sexual content.

She should know better.  I wish she would change and consider the persecuted Christians, but so long as one sells out like this, I don't see it happening.
If only there were more yeshuaisiam's in the world.  it would be so much better

Peace.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: