OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 05:40:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Journey to Orthodoxy: Why Americans Need An All-English Liturgy  (Read 10397 times) Average Rating: 0
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« on: September 20, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »

A fantastic read on "Journey to Orthodoxy":

http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/2012/09/18/why-americans-need-an-all-english-liturgy/

Excerpt:
One of the major obstacles to the twenty first century becoming the Orthodox century is the language barrier.  In many American Orthodox parishes the Sunday Liturgy is either in a foreign language or a mixture of English and non-English.  Orthodox parishes with an all-English Liturgy tend to be in the minority.  This blog posting addresses why we need all-English worship services, what can be done about the present problem of people exiting through the backdoor, and how we can help make the twenty first century the Orthodox century.

- Jade

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »

Really?  I think there are plenty of societal factor that hit Christianity hard across the board that have a much larger impact on why the 21st Century is not the Orthodox Century that are far more pressing than whether we say Gospodi Pomiluy or Lord Have Mercy.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

I want to print that article out and frame it
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:41:54 PM »

all american liturgy?
what about all the ethnic orthodox who attend church, how would they feel abt it?
My church is 1/2 & 1/2 ish, everyone is happy.....well except my mother.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »

wanted to also say; in another church further of a drive away from me (they are a larger parish3-4X larger) and have 2 liturgys on sunday. the first one is in Greek and the second is in English.
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »

all american liturgy?
what about all the ethnic orthodox who attend church, how would they feel abt it?
My church is 1/2 & 1/2 ish, everyone is happy.....well except my mother.

The article said that ethnic parishes should not be done away with and should be respected.  But for Orthodoxy to grow, it needs to be in the local culture.  And I agree, the Orthodox parish that is thriving in our area is the OCA parish and it has already produced 2 or 3 daughter parishes from the one parish 25 years ago that started with only one family.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »

OK i admit i did not read the entire article, read less then 1/2 and got turned off by it. I got the impression that the whole thing was going to be complaining on why we should stop diff languages in church, the usual new converts thinking they know better then the church and wanting to change the church. seems like most of the threads here are of that nature.

what do you think abt what i said: 2 liturgy's, one at 8am in diff language and one at 10am in English- dnt think you can complain abt that? only English speaking people get the liturgy in English, plus you can get the experience of belonging to an ethnic parish, which i think is important!!

or do you think its better to have a diff church for yourselves? if yes, i don't think its a good idea. you will miss out on things you did not know even existed. Orthodoxy is deep, very deep, don't assume you know everything. im cradal Orthodox and the more people i speak to the more i realise i dont know anything.
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 11:56:58 PM »

OK i admit i did not read the entire article, read less then 1/2 and got turned off by it. I got the impression that the whole thing was going to be complaining on why we should stop diff languages in church, the usual new converts thinking they know better then the church and wanting to change the church. seems like most of the threads here are of that nature.

what do you think abt what i said: 2 liturgy's, one at 8am in diff language and one at 10am in English- dnt think you can complain abt that? only English speaking people get the liturgy in English, plus you can get the experience of belonging to an ethnic parish, which i think is important!!

or do you think its better to have a diff church for yourselves? if yes, i don't think its a good idea. you will miss out on things you did not know even existed. Orthodoxy is deep, very deep, don't assume you know everything. im cradal Orthodox and the more people i speak to the more i realise i dont know anything.

I already belong to a parish like that, one very early morning Liturgy for English speakers that no one really cares to go to.  I mean, if we are going to attract converts do we also expect them to wake up so early on Sunday when most other Churches start their services later?  Plus, at least in my case, the authentic spirituality is still not there.  We really need to be separate, on our own.  As the article said, the faith is always brought to the different cultures.  Think Sts. Cyril and Methodius.  We who do not belong to the ethnicity of the parish need to be able to feel comfortable and grow in the faith without the pressure to absorb the culture.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 12:31:34 AM »

Ok, i just wrote 20 min worth of responces to you post, in a hevily sarcastic tone. I trying to be less conforntational in my life...i have a way of pissing people off. so i deleted everything i wrote and just left this.

YOU SAID: "I already belong to a parish like that, one very early morning Liturgy for English speakers that no one really cares to go to.  I mean, if we are going to attract converts do we also expect them to wake up so early on Sunday when most other Churches start their services later? "

are you telling me if church was at 5:45a.m. you would not go?

YOU SAID: "Plus, at least in my case, the authentic spirituality is still not there."

bring you own spirituality (BYOS)- no one can give it to you- we just set the stage for you.

I dont think its possible to absorb the complete faith without absorbing the culture also.

I gota say: Orthodoxy is not abt you------------its abt God.

I guess you can tell i fed up with new converts trying to change a 2000+ yr old faith. questioning everything, and winning oh my, the winning, just stop.
outa here before i
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:15 AM »

I know, right? 'Cos such a high proportion of so-called "cradle" Orthodox Christians are big Church-attenders.

Damnable konvertsy.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 12:50:29 AM »

I guess you can tell i fed up with new converts trying to change a 2000+ yr old faith. questioning everything, and winning oh my, the winning, just stop.
outa here before i

THIS!

Forgive my sins.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »

Well which is it, do you dislike them or do you think they're winning?  Huh

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 12:55:43 AM »

Ok, i just wrote 20 min worth of responces to you post, in a hevily sarcastic tone. I trying to be less conforntational in my life...i have a way of pissing people off. so i deleted everything i wrote and just left this.

YOU SAID: "I already belong to a parish like that, one very early morning Liturgy for English speakers that no one really cares to go to.  I mean, if we are going to attract converts do we also expect them to wake up so early on Sunday when most other Churches start their services later? "

are you telling me if church was at 5:45a.m. you would not go?

I probably would, but they don't put up a big building and spend thousand of dollars to operate it in a year just for me.  And the Church is not just for me.

YOU SAID: "Plus, at least in my case, the authentic spirituality is still not there."

bring you own spirituality (BYOS)- no one can give it to you- we just set the stage for you.

That is my problem, no one is setting it up for me.  At least where I am.  Mind you, my statements are not general but more from my own experience. I don't know what is out there in other cities, but at least where I live this is the scenario.

I dont think its possible to absorb the complete faith without absorbing the culture also.

So why are the Slavs still Slavs?  Why aren't they Greek?  If culture is attached to the faith, then we should all be Jewish Christians today.

I gota say: Orthodoxy is not abt you------------its abt God.

outa here before i

That comment swings both ways.  Why enforce culture that is not the culture of the land?  It's not about being Greek or Ukrainian or Russian, it is about God.  In fact, a very good Ukrainian Orthodox man told me that.  He went to the OCA instead of the UOC.  He said that the faith should be focused on God, not Ukraine or Russia or whatever.  And he said he refuses to attend ethnic parishes any longer.  And this is a Ukrainian man!

And as I said above, change a 2000 year old faith? There were no Greeks or Ukrainians or Russians at the beginning of the faith. It was only Jews. They changed the faith for Greeks, Slavs, Syriacs, etc.  Why are you being stubborn where the Apostles were not?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:57:26 AM by choy » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 02:40:05 AM »

What's with "ethnic parish"? "American" is not an ethnicity? Would American parish with all-English services crowded with American Black people be considered as an ethnic parish?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:41:01 AM by Alpo » Logged

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 02:48:18 AM »

American, unless you're talking about Native Americans of various tribes (who might not have the same perspective on being "Americans" or English-speakers, after all), is not an ethnicity, no.

I have some issues with the thinking behind this article, but on the positive, anything that would better integrate the Orthodox faith into American society is good. It is not good to remain separate from the people you'd like to bring to the faith, but thankfully, as hinted at in the article, the linguistic makeup of any particular parish will generally change by the second American-born generation. That's just a natural consequence of language attrition patterns in the USA, but it works out in favor of evangelization and growth.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 02:58:46 AM »

American, unless you're talking about Native Americans of various tribes (who might not have the same perspective on being "Americans" or English-speakers, after all), is not an ethnicity, no.

Well I can understand that but please do not make an assumption that other kind of nationalities are. Finland for one is not an ethnic concept and I'm not exactly confident that other European nationalities are either. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:00:06 AM by Alpo » Logged

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 03:05:11 AM »

Huh

I'm confused. Did I make that assumption in my reply? I'm the closest thing to a European in my parish, and I'm not much of an ethnicity, myself. Smiley

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 03:18:34 AM »

Huh

I'm confused. Did I make that assumption in my reply? I'm the closest thing to a European in my parish, and I'm not much of an ethnicity, myself. Smiley

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't speaking to you specifically but to all of the people in here.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 05:51:46 AM »

Americans can have an all English liturgy. Come on down to my western rite parish Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 08:30:11 AM »

What's with "ethnic parish"? "American" is not an ethnicity? Would American parish with all-English services crowded with American Black people be considered as an ethnic parish?

America is not about the ethnicity of her citizens but about ideology--the lofty principles embodied in her foundational documents. It may be that people of a particular ethnicity (or race as in your example) attend a particular church. I do not think that such a grouping would be considered normative and certainly not in line with the tenets of Christianity, even though it would be represented as Christianity+ as an attempt to justify it.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:16 AM »

What's so bad about liturgical languages? It adds to the mystery. AFAIK in Greece they still use Koinè in the liturgy, which is almost unintelligible to the average Greek.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 08:57:59 AM »

What's so bad about liturgical languages? It adds to the mystery. AFAIK in Greece they still use Koinè in the liturgy, which is almost unintelligible to the average Greek.
It's alright every once in a while but to get the full benefit of the Liturgy, you need to understand the truths being spoken.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 09:02:32 AM »

I keep reading this but just don't buy it. Every Hellene is schooled in Homeric and Attic Greek which means Koine should be readily understandable. Moreover, even here, a period of time following the liturgy with a side by side Greek-English printed source eventually results in one knowing exactly what is being said in Greek. (I know I studied, and still do, Homeric, Attic,and Koine and so it might not come as easy for some, but I still think this is true.)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 09:12:22 AM »

I keep reading this but just don't buy it. Every Hellene is schooled in Homeric and Attic Greek which means Koine should be readily understandable.

I have been schooled (well, still being schooled) in Attic and Homeric Greek, but I doubt I could keep up with that fast a pace.

Moreover, even here, a period of time following the liturgy with a side by side Greek-English printed source eventually results in one knowing exactly what is being said in Greek.

Exactly, so what's the problem with liturgical languages again?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 09:17:56 AM »

They create false dichotomy between the Church and everyday life.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »

They create false dichotomy between the Church and everyday life.

You have a point there.

I wonder, when the Jews spoke Aramaic in the time before Christ was the liturgy in the temple in Aramaic or did they retain Hebrew as liturgical language? And in Poland do they use Polish or Old Slavonic in the liturgy?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:23:22 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »

This all depends on the makeup of the parish.  If all the members are American born, English should be the language, but if there is a good mix of both, then I favor a bilingual Divine Liturgy.  We also have to remember, we may have an influx of new immigrants, so they should be able to hear the Liturgy in their native tongue.  In our UOCUSA parish we use about 50/50.  In fact, there are some parts that both the priest and I do in both languages, as this will help both groups to learn a new language.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »

This all depends on the makeup of the parish.  If all the members are American born, English should be the language, but if there is a good mix of both, then I favor a bilingual Divine Liturgy.  We also have to remember, we may have an influx of new immigrants, so they should be able to hear the Liturgy in their native tongue.  In our UOCUSA parish we use about 50/50.  In fact, there are some parts that both the priest and I do in both languages, as this will help both groups to learn a new language.
It also depends on what you want the makeup of the parish to be. If you want the parish to focus on its ministry to new immigrants (a necessary ministry, I would agree) then the use of that language is appropriate. However, if you want the parish to focus on its ministry to the children and grandchildren of those immigrants - and to proclaim the Gospel to the community at large - then the use of English ought to be your choice. Please understand that I do not see the two as being mutually exclusive. How that may play out in a parish will differ depending on local circumstances. For example, you may want to have most services in English with a few in the other language; or occasionally instead of, or perhaps in addition to English. Or you may have bilingual services. But what do you mean by that? Some parts in English only, some in other language only? Or by repeating most things? And if the former, will you switch the two parts on a regular basis so no one is left out?

These are just questions. I have the luxury of being in a mission parish that is English-speaking with only an occasional nod to Arabic, and even less to Greek. In fact, those who speak those languages are insistent that we use English. I guess that's why we feel OK with an occasional use of their language, which I know they appreciate though not likely to admit it  Wink.

I might challenge you though on your statement that a new language will be learned in our services. Most people will simply tune out the other language. They may pick up the occasional phrase, or may learn a few brief hymns and prayers, but that's about it. Conversational ability won't develop. Besides, from what I read in this forum, liturgical Greek, certainly Old Slavonic, perhaps others, have little practical use outside the liturgical services. How many congregations speak Old Slavonic at coffee hour or in the business meetings? What I read once somewhere - probably on this forum - was that the language used in your parish council meetings should be the language used in the Divine Liturgy.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »

What's so bad about liturgical languages? It adds to the mystery.

Is such "mystery" (read: cluelessness) the purpose of our worship?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »

I wonder, when the Jews spoke Aramaic in the time before Christ was the liturgy in the temple in Aramaic or did they retain Hebrew as liturgical language? And in Poland do they use Polish or Old Slavonic in the liturgy?

Polish in 4 places (in 2 of them there are also Liturgies in CS served too), Ukrainian in a few, rest (>200) in CS.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 11:17:02 AM »

Putting the Church's services in the vernacular does not somehow debase it to the language of the street. The language of our prayers is inherently otherworldly, regardless of the type of language used to translate it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »

i can settle the language problem.
if its a Russian parish--liturgy will be in Russian.
if its a Greek parish---litturgy in Greek.
so on and so forth.

Now arrive all the converts:
as the percentage changes in the Church converts vs cradle, so does the liturgy language. until it become 50-50.

I'm my parish when i first moved there the priest asked me, while handing out the Adideron what i prefered English or Greek, everyone turned around to see what i was going to say (i think its become an issue in my parish also). i said i don't care either way is fine for me. NO ONE liked my answer, everyone had a sad or annoyed face, it was funny.

(btw:i don't hate converts! i jst wish they would just go with the flow more as opposed to questioning everything and trying to change things. especially the brand new converts just crismated--all of a sudden demand things be different?)
choy
Archon

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »

so on and so forth.

as the percentage changes in the Church converts vs cradle, so does the liturgy language. until it become 50-50.

I'm my parish when i first moved there the priest asked me, while handing out the Adideron what i prefered English or Greek, everyone turned around to see what i was going to say (i think its become an issue in my parish also). i said i don't care either way is fine for me. NO ONE liked my answer, everyone had a sad or annoyed face, it was funny.

(btw:i don't hate converts! i jst wish they would just go with the flow more as opposed to questioning everything and trying to change things. especially the brand new converts just crismated--all of a sudden demand things be different?)

I hope you understand, people want the faith to be theirs as much as you want it to be yours.  A foreign culture mixed with a faith is really confusing to us interlopers.  And it is furstrating if there are more people at peroggy making days than there are for Vespers or Great Feast Liturgies on a weekday.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »

so on and so forth.

Liturgy in Russian? AFAIK there are no more than 3 places with such thing.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »

so on and so forth.

I hope you understand, people want the faith to be theirs as much as you want it to be yours.  A foreign culture mixed with a faith is really confusing to us interlopers.  And it is furstrating if there are more people at peroggy making days than there are for Vespers or Great Feast Liturgies on a weekday.

i would not use as harsh a term as "interlopers"!
(interloper=A person who becomes involved in a place or situation where they are not wanted or are considered not to belong)
at least in my parish, converts are wanted and treated very nicely. so im thinking is it possible where you are, its not like my parish? are you not treated as friends, as part of the congragation, or is it just that you feal your not a part of them?

And: the faith is yours-and mine- it cant be taken away form you or me!
re: the perrogie comment: i thnk you have some sort of an issue (founded or not, i dont know) with the natinalityof your parish, thats a question?
------------
quick story (fwiw): for a bunch or years i was budhhist. being a budhist encompasess the asian culture. i dont think you can be a buddhist and not be emmerged and a part of the culture! i feel the same woth Orthodoxy, its a package deal. you will be missing out on alot if you try to seperate the culture from the religion.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Former Christian

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »

In Russia, the Liturgy is in Russian. Why? Because Russians speak Russian.

In Greece, the Liturgy is in Greek. Why? Because Greeks speak Greek.

In Bulgaria, the Liturgy is in Bulgarian. Why? Because Bulgarians speak Bulgarian.

In America, England, and Australia, the Liturgy is in many languages (primarily Greek or Russian). Why? I don't know. The people of these lands don't speak those languages. Maybe it's the fact that Russians and Greeks think they are of a superior race. Sorry, but it's annoying how Russian Christians talk about Russia as if Russia is the new Israel. The truth is: there's nothing special about Russia...and I'm under ROCOR! Yet I also believe that the the OCA has more of a right to claim to be the American Orthodox Church than any other church (when missionaries came to Bulgaria, they did not institute the Russian Church of Bulgaria or the Greek Church of Bulgaria. No. They made the Bulgarian Church.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:25:33 PM by TristanCross » Logged

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
choy
Archon

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »

In Bulgaria, the Liturgy is in Bulgarian. Why? Because Bulgarians speak Bulgarian.

In America, England, and Australia, the Liturgy is in many languages (primarily Greek or Russian). Why? I don't know. The people of these lands don't speak those languages. Maybe it's the fact that Russians and Greeks think they are of a superior race. Sorry, but it's annoying how Russian Christians talk about Russia as if Russia is the new Israel. The truth is: there's nothing special about Russia...and I'm under ROCOR! Yet I also believe that the the OCA has more of a right to claim to be the American Orthodox Church than any other church (when missionaries came to Bulgaria, they did not institute the Russian Church of Bulgaria or the Greek Church of Bulgaria. No. They made the Bulgarian Church.)

That is the problem I think.  It is immigrants who put up churches in North America, not missionaries.  So the focus was always ethnicity and culture, not evangelizing the "natives".
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »

That is the problem I think.  It is immigrants who put up churches in North America, not missionaries.  So the focus was always ethnicity and culture, not evangelizing the "natives".

That's the problem. We are no longer a country of immigrants. We've been here generations and now have our own culture and people.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:29:48 PM by TristanCross » Logged

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »

Hee hee, funny............not realy:

BUT the greeks or russians or bulgarians did not move into (immigrate) the afore mentioned countries and establish Orthodoxy. the country accepted Orthodoxy so it was in the home lands language.

In america the greeks russians...immigrated into the usa and with them they brought there religion and now you want to change it as if it is your own. you should thank your russian greek bulgarian brotheres for enlightening you!
It  would have been diffrent if you had gone to russia or greece and lerned abt Orthodoxy there and brough tit back to the usa....then you could have orthodoxy in english.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 02:39:03 PM »

That is the problem I think.  It is immigrants who put up churches in North America, not missionaries.  So the focus was always ethnicity and culture, not evangelizing the "natives".

You see!
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »

Liturgy in Russia is in Church Slavonic (with 1-3 exceptions) not understood by Russians. Liturgy in Greece is in Koine not understood by modern Greeks.
choy
Archon

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »

BUT the greeks or russians or bulgarians did not move into (immigrate) the afore mentioned countries and establish Orthodoxy. the country accepted Orthodoxy so it was in the home lands language.

In america the greeks russians...immigrated into the usa and with them they brought there religion and now you want to change it as if it is your own. you should thank your russian greek bulgarian brotheres for enlightening you!
It  would have been diffrent if you had gone to russia or greece and lerned abt Orthodoxy there and brough tit back to the usa....then you could have orthodoxy in english.

Thank you Greeks and Russians for bringing your religion to us!  Now can we please have it in English! Wink
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 02:54:19 PM »

I hate nationalists...that's one of the reasons I can't stand so many Orthodox Christians. Are we the Universal Church or ethnic gatherings?

— St. John Chrysostom
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

Thank you Greeks and Russians for bringing your religion to us!  Now can we please have it in English! Wink

Ok, since you put it that way, yes you may.
just remember 10% go to the Greek and Russian of the top.
oh and of cours the franchise fee, is upfront.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »

I hate nationalists...that's one of the reasons I can't stand so many Orthodox Christians. Are we the Universal Church or ethnic gatherings?

That is exactly what im trying to say!       you HATE NATINALISTS!  I kew it.
Tags: America  English  language 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: