OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 03:17:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any swans fans ?  (Read 445 times) Average Rating: 0
spiltteeth

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ACROD

« on: September 20, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »

Swans the band I mean. Michael Gira and friends just put out a new album SEER. I consider them the greatest Christian band ever, tho most find the lyrics dark or hateful. Also their on tour now. Next month in NYC I might go check it out.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 04:31:56 PM »

I really like some of their earlier work... Children of God, Great Annihilator... I never thought of them as a Christian band though. For some reason Michael Gira marching around the stage in bondage did not evoke "Christian band" to me.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »

Thought you were talking about the AFL club, I was about to trash talk. police

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:35:33 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
spiltteeth

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »

I really like some of their earlier work... Children of God, Great Annihilator... I never thought of them as a Christian band though. For some reason Michael Gira marching around the stage in bondage did not evoke "Christian band" to me.

ah, that may have been before he converted. His new band, Angels of Light is great, especially the album "my father will guide me up a rope to the sky"
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »

ah, that may have been before he converted. His new band, Angels of Light is great, especially the album "my father will guide me up a rope to the sky"

I've not heard of this conversion. Are you sure of that?

For anyone who's wondering why the Swans are so great... here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hI5Eg6Ias4

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »

My dad loves this band. (He's 60 this year)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:50:48 AM by Hinterlander » Logged
spiltteeth

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »

I've not heard of this conversion. Are you sure of that?

For anyone who's wondering why the Swans are so great... here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hI5Eg6Ias4

Well, its not certain. In an interview this year Gira said he'd been frequenting a Catholic church recently. Also he's said that he has religious aspirations. His lyrics are full of Christian imagery, but when asked about it he gives vague answers. Personally I believe he is Christian, albeit a Flannery O'Connor/southern gothic type, but wants to keep it on the dl because people will automatically reject his message if they identify him as such. A lot of fans already complain about all the Christian references.
On the other hand he has said that he finds the idea of anthropomorphizing God absurd and he has spoken harshly of dogmatic religion.
So...not sure, but really his lyrics only seem to make sense in a Christian context. 
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »

I need to thank you for starting this thread. I've forgotten how much I loved this band. Listening to them again now, I think I like them even better than I did in high school. I used to blast "New Mind" out of my dorm window and people would ask, "Who was playing that 'damn you to hell' song?"

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: