OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 05:55:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sin leading to death V.S. Sin not leading to death  (Read 732 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: October 02, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »

1John16-17:
anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.  All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

John has divided the sin into ' sin leading to death' and ' sin which does not leading to death '. Which sin would lead men to death? Which sin would not  lead men to death?

How do Orthodox Christians understand of this scripture?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:42:41 AM by walter1234 » Logged
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »

The best example of a sin leading to death that you see in 1 John 5:16-17 , is the sin of Judas. Now what was the sin of Judas; instead of loving His Lord he betrayed Him. Now how is that by itself a sin leading to death. When you think about it; St. Peter did almost the same thing. He said he does not even know Jesus, not just one time, but three times. Even after committing the sin, Judas could have repented, and relied on the mercy of God to forgive him. But Judas rather than relying on the mercy of God, took matters into his own hands and committed suicide.

Listen to the following podcast. It will give you a good idea.

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/carlton/the_sin_of_judas

NULL
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:48 AM »

"While the Roman Catholic tradition has identified particular acts as 'mortal' sins, in the Orthodox tradition we see that only a sin for which we do not repent is 'mortal" (Fr. Allyne Smith, in G. E. H. Palmer, Philip Sherrard, and Bishop Kallistos Ware, trs., Philokalia: The Eastern Christian Spiritual Texts (Skylight Press, 2000), p. 2).

Silly Stars
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:31:50 AM »

1John16-17:
anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.  All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death  

St. John said that he does not say that we should pray for the sinners who commit the sin leading to death.  

Why did St. john not recommend us to pray for the sinners who commit the sin leading to death?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 04:43:37 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 06:39:04 AM »

Why did St. john  recommend us not to  pray for the sinners who commit the sin leading to death?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:39:26 AM by walter1234 » Logged
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »

"If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death."

When human beings enter into noetic prayer in a state of theosis or complete union with God, then whatever they wish is what God wishes, and it is given them.

Matt 21:21: "Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done."

When the Son of Man returns, will he find such faith on earth?

St. John is speaking specifically of prayer which is both asked and answered, prayer which is in union with God, which is true prayer: "he will ask, and He will give.

One may certainly ask things apart from union with God or unison with his will, but is seems such asking is not true prayer in the sense St. John is speaking of, i.e. prayer which is both asked and answered ("he will ask, and He will give"); by such noetic prayer one becomes a vessel of the Holy Spirit; it is always efficacious. One may certainly ask for anything and call it prayer -this, I suspect, is a different matter.

Our saints have taught we can and should pray even for the demons; whether they will continue in the only mortal sin is unknown to all but God, but we cannot pray that one will be forgiven the unforgivable sin.

"There is a sin leading to death. I do not say he should pray about that."

The only sin that cannot be forgiven is refusal to repent, which in effect is a spurning of forgiveness.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:23:24 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »

"If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death."

When human beings enter into noetic prayer in a state of theosis or complete union with God, then whatever they wish is what God wishes, and it is given them.

Matt 21:21: "Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done."

When the Son of Man returns, will he find such faith on earth?

St. John is speaking specifically of prayer which is both asked and answered, prayer which is in union with God, which is true prayer: "he will ask, and He will give.

One may certainly ask things apart from union with God or unison with his will, but is seems such asking is not true prayer in the sense St. John is speaking of, i.e. prayer which is both asked and answered ("he will ask, and He will give"); by such noetic prayer one becomes a vessel of the Holy Spirit; it is always efficacious. One may certainly ask for anything and call it prayer -this, I suspect, is a different matter.

Our saints have taught we can and should pray even for the demons; whether they will continue in the only mortal sin is unknown to all but God, but we cannot pray that one will be forgiven the unforgivable sin.

"There is a sin leading to death. I do not say he should pray about that."

The only sin that cannot be forgiven is refusal to repent, which in effect is a spurning of forgiveness.

This is the best answer I heard!! Better than all the answers I heard in any Protestant Christians!
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:22 AM »

Glad it was helpful, and thanks for saying.

Silly Stars
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: