OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:01:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is Vladimir Moss?? is he an orthodox Christian??  (Read 7841 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »

I am a protestant . Recently, I studied orthodoxy. I like its dotrince and enjoy the teaching of ancient faith radio. The concept of God in Orthodox church seems not as horrible and violence as the one in Protestant.

But, recently, I find out an orthodox christianity author called Vladimir moss. His writing or understanding about orginal sin, juridical, penal view, gospel seems closer to the teaching in {rotestant. He even criticizes the teaching of Steve Robinson in youtube(e.g. Love Wins - An Orthodox View / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosgwLekgn8)   is a heretic teaching

I really don't like his teaching.....

Is he an orthodox christian??IS his teaching really the Orthodox one??Whay is your comment on his writing??

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:55:12 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosgwLekgn8

This is heretical teaching, a denial of the doctrine of Christ's Sacrifice for sin on the Cross, which is ORTHODOX teaching. It comes from the heretical teacher Fr. John Romanides, an ecumenist and newcalendarist.

Vladimir Moss   One week before

Is this true??
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:56:03 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »

Is he an orthodox christian??IS his teaching really the Orthodox one??Whay is your comment on his writing??

Vladimir Moss is a schismatic and not a member of any canonical Orthodox Church.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »

I think he is a member of some Old Calendarist church which is not in communion with the mainstream patriarchates.

That said, I don't think his opinions on those issues are anyhow problematic. An Orthodox Christian can legitimately have those kind of views.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »

I think he is a member of some Old Calendarist church which is not in communion with the mainstream patriarchates.

That said, I don't think his opinions on those issues are anyhow problematic. An Orthodox Christian can legitimately have those kind of views.
The problem is when one represents those views as the only ones Orthodox Christians can have.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 11:10:16 AM »

I'm pretty sure he's a member of HOTCA which is an Old Calendarist synod. While I have enjoyed reading some of his writings on church history I don't like most everything I've read of his theological works.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 11:11:59 AM »

The problem is when one represents those views as the only ones Orthodox Christians can have.

Agreed. But then again it's not that different from the opposing party with Western Captivities and the like.

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »

I'm pretty sure he's a member of HOTCA which is an Old Calendarist synod. While I have enjoyed reading some of his writings on church history I don't like most everything I've read of his theological works.

I even think that he is a protestant  or semi-protestant when I read his written work . His view on orginal sin, salvation, GOd's juridical, wrath, penal is just similar and closer to the teaching of protestant which I am believing now.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:20:41 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 11:22:01 AM »

Agree, his written work can easily confuse the non-orthodox christian who is studying orthodoxy, like me!!
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »

His view on orginal sin, salvation, GOd's juridical, wrath, penal is just similar and closer to the teaching of protestant which I am believing now.

Or perhaps Protestantism is closer to Orthodoxy than you've thought. Who knows, maybe Mr. Moss is right. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:39:43 AM by Alpo » Logged

jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »

my own thought is that the full truth is prolly a lil' Romanides and a lil' Moss.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »

Romanides was a canonical Orthodox Christian priest and full professor of theology, whose teachings are have a firm foundations in the Fathers.

Moss seems to be a schismatic, surely he cannot be considered on equal footing with Romanides. He also is the author of "Bolshevism and the Jews (Vladimir Moss)", a text which falls into the domain of obscure conspiracy theories.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »

I am reminding you that Fr. John Romanides was a priest and therefore he, as the forum rules say, has to be addressed here with his proper clergy title. Further violation of that rule will result in warnings.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »

Romanides was a canonical Orthodox Christian priest and full professor of theology, whose teachings are have a firm foundations in the Fathers.

I've read just about nothing from Fr. John himself but considering what he seemed to think about St. Augustine I wouldn't say he had firm foundations in the Fathers.

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »

How about Steve Robinson and his video ----- 'Love Wins - An Orthodox View'  ?

Vladimir Moss said that the teaching of this video(e.g. Love Wins - an orthodox view) is a heretic teaching, and it is not the orthodox view of salvation. Is it true??
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:46:10 PM by walter1234 » Logged
The least of all

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox church in Canada

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 02:39:18 PM »

I honestly cant believe why anyone would claim Fr. John as a heretic. The little I have read of him, i have greatly enjoyed and he is an extremely honest (i find) interpreter of the EO/OO split and most likely contributed greatly to the warm relations we have today
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »

I've read just about nothing from Fr. John himself but considering what he seemed to think about St. Augustine I wouldn't say he had firm foundations in the Fathers.

His "religion is a neurobiological illness" schtick is very shaky to say the least. Such a concept is nowhere to be found in the Fathers. In some places I think by religion he means "idolatry" but he starts talking about spinal fluid, short-circuit between the brain and heart, etc., it's clear he's using a gimmick to pander to scientism and new-agey "spiritual not religious" nonsense.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
The least of all

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 02:54:39 PM »

Oh i agree with that. I just dont think that makes him 'not Orthodox' Tongue. Perhaps Fr. John did make some points as such lol, but i still like a few of his writings. Then again, I have not read a vast amount of his work so i am no expert!

On a side note: i feel the 'ecumenist' charge (as if thats a heresy, WHICH i agree it can be but not when it comes to EO/OO relations) is always so divisive
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 02:55:01 PM »

To the OP: You might want to get a good reliable overview of Orthodoxy by a general catechism & then proceed from there. See:  

http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/10/1.aspx
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:55:48 PM by recent convert » Logged

Antiochian OC N.A.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »

For the record, I don't think Fr. John is a heretic, but some people seem to adopt his peculiar views as a standard of Orthodoxy.

The least of all

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »

hmm, interesting! The neurobiology stuff just seems to be unnecessary Tongue.

BUT i think we have diverged from the question of OP Cheesy. Sorry!
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »

Apparently you have not read Orthodox Psychotherapy.

The Church as a hospital of our spiritual existence is hardy a fringe belief.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »

But, recently, I find out an orthodox christianity author called Vladimir moss. His writing or understanding about orginal sin, juridical, penal view, gospel seems closer to the teaching in {rotestant. He even criticizes the teaching of Steve Robinson in youtube(e.g. Love Wins - An Orthodox View / http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosgwLekgn8)   is a heretic teaching

Vladimir Moss said that the teaching of Steve Robinson (e.g. Love Wins - an orthodox view  /  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosgwLekgn8) is a heretic teaching, and it is not the orthodox view of salvation.

Is the criticism of vladimir Moss correct??
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:09:02 PM by walter1234 » Logged
jckstraw72
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »

im not able to watch the video right now, but i think there is a move to downplay or completely do away with the concept of God's justice and judgment --- its all just His love and light! i think Vladimir Moss is at least correctly motivated in calling attention to teachings on God's justice and judgment.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

Nevermind.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:19:35 PM by Alpo » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »

Apparently you have not read Orthodox Psychotherapy.

The Church as a hospital of our spiritual existence is hardy a fringe belief.

Right. But when someone starts saying that Orthodoxy is the way to get your spinal fluid or blood flowing correctly, we are definitely in fringe territory.

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »

First of all, we usually say "Blessed Augustine" in the Orthodox Church. Secondly, even the greatest supporters of Bl. Augustine in the Orthodox Church, such as Fr. Seraphim Rose, do not endorse him because of his theology, but because of his holy life.

I think it is pretty much consent in the Church that Bl. Augustine's theology contains flaws and it is not exactly a model for imitation, especially not if isolated from the Greek Fathers.

His "religion is a neurobiological illness" schtick is very shaky to say the least
The whole quote is "Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." So, by saying that, Fr. John Romanides made it quite clear that he did not call Orthodoxy "a neurobiological illness", on the contrary.
The least of all

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »

I have not read that actually! Would you recommend it?

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 02:51:18 AM »

First of all, we usually say "Blessed Augustine" in the Orthodox Church.

Is that a historical convention or modern innovation which was meant to convey his lesser status? We have other non-controversial Saints who are called as Blesseds but I wonder what Augustine has been historically called

Secondly, even the greatest supporters of Bl. Augustine in the Orthodox Church, such as Fr. Seraphim Rose, do not endorse him because of his theology, but because of his holy life.

IIRC Sts. Gregory Palamas and Photios enorsed him partly because of his theology. But anyway, this is irrelevant. He is a Holy Father and anyone who belittles any of the Holy Fathers has hardly firm foundations in Fathers.

I might have misunderstood what Fr. John had to say about Augustine though. If his view was more positive, feel free to correct me.

I think it is pretty much consent in the Church that Bl. Augustine's theology contains flaws and it is not exactly a model for imitation, especially not if isolated from the Greek Fathers.

Present, non-historical consent. Greek Fathers are not standard of Orthodoxy to which other nationalities should be compared to and no Father can be read in isolation from the rest.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:54:10 AM by Alpo » Logged

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 04:22:47 AM »

Is that a historical convention or modern innovation which was meant to convey his lesser status?
It is historical, already appears in the Sixth Ecumenical Council.

IIRC Sts. Gregory Palamas and Photios enorsed him partly because of his theology.
Guess that would need a thread of its own. But I'd be interested to read the quotes by these two saints.

But anyway, this is irrelevant. He is a Holy Father
His sainthood is extremely controversial in the Orthodox Church. And the reasons for that are in his theology. Ironically, the more yu push for his theology to be accepted, the more you encourage people who don't want him to be considered a saint at all. Would it not be a reasonable position to recognise his person holiness while admitting flaws in his theology?

Greek Fathers are not standard of Orthodoxy to which other nationalities should be compared to
The western fathers such as Saints Ambrosius, Jerome, Hilarius, John Cassian etc. have the same theology as them. Bl. Augustine is the odd one out.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 05:08:02 AM »

IIRC Sts. Gregory Palamas and Photios enorsed him partly because of his theology.
Guess that would need a thread of its own. But I'd be interested to read the quotes by these two saints.

I must admit I've used only second hand source. That's what Orthodox Readings of Augustine by George E. Demacopoulos and Aristotle Papanikolaou is saying. I don't have a copy of it at hand but quick search offered at least something. See p. 12 and onwards.

But anyway, this is irrelevant. He is a Holy Father
His sainthood is extremely controversial in the Orthodox Church. And the reasons for that are in his theology. Ironically, the more yu push for his theology to be accepted, the more you encourage people who don't want him to be considered a saint at all. Would it not be a reasonable position to recognise his person holiness while admitting flaws in his theology?

Of course I admit that there might be some potential flaws in his theology. No one is disputing that. All I'm saying is that IMO it seems that the Orthodox are reading his writing a lot more critically than the rest of the Fathers' writings. No one is scandalized by Apokatastasis, attributing sins to the Mother of God or, say, imperfect explanation of Trinity by some of the Fathers but when Augustine makes some mistake there's a lot more scandal in that. The mistakes of Augustine should be overlooked like the mistakes of other Fathers' are overlooked.

That's the historical approach to the criticism of Augustine. IIRC when St. John Cassian was correcting Augustine's mistakes he was not even mentioning his name out of reverence for him.

Greek Fathers are not standard of Orthodoxy to which other nationalities should be compared to
The western fathers such as Saints Ambrosius, Jerome, Hilarius, John Cassian etc. have the same theology as them. Bl. Augustine is the odd one out.

Well that could be true but that's just proof that Greek Fathers are not standard of Orthodoxy to which Latin, Arab etc. Fathers should be compared to. All Fathers regardless of nationalities should be consulted. We are the Catholic Church, not the Greek Church.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:26:23 AM by Alpo » Logged

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 05:54:36 AM »

The mistakes of Augustine should be overlooked like the mistakes of other Fathers' are overlooked.
The mistakes of other fathers don't such a great wirkungsgeschichte*.

*although of German origin, this is used as an English word in some philosophical and theological texts. may be approximately translated as "history of effects".
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »

The mistakes of Augustine should be overlooked like the mistakes of other Fathers' are overlooked.
The mistakes of other fathers don't such a great wirkungsgeschichte*.

Yes, they do. Remember St. Paul and Protestantism. While there aren't any errors in his epistles there are certain quotes from him which are widely misused as a basis for Protestantism.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I love German language. No other language can produce words like that. Grin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:18:44 AM by Alpo » Logged

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 06:31:54 AM »

Yes, they do. Remember St. Paul and Protestantism. While there aren't any errors in his epistles there are certain quotes from him which are widely misused as a basis for Protestantism.
Yes, but I would seriously argue that here, the fault is not with St. Paul. Whereas Bl. Augustine could have avoided his mistakes by reading the Greek fathers.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I love German language. No other language can produce words like that. Grin

Thank you, but I guess all Germanic languages can do that. It is usually translated to Swedish as verkanshistoria.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 06:34:38 AM »

Yes, but I would seriously argue that here, the fault is not with St. Paul. Whereas Bl. Augustine could have avoided his mistakes by reading the Greek fathers.

He couldn't. St. Augustine had some problems with Greek.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 06:49:03 AM »

Thank you, but I guess all Germanic languages can do that. It is usually translated to Swedish as verkanshistoria.

But verkanshistoria sounds a lot more boring than wirkungsgeschichte. Swedish would need a lot more consonants to compete with German.

Btw, in Finnish that would be vaikutushistoria. We too lose to Germans.

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 06:55:47 AM »

He couldn't. St. Augustine had some problems with Greek.
That's precisely my point. Instead of re-solving already better solved theological problems, he should have worked on his Greek.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »

First of all, we usually say "Blessed Augustine" in the Orthodox Church.

"Blessed" and "Saint" are synonyms in the Orthodox Church. For example, Saint Theophylact of Ohrid is often called "Blessed."

Saint Augustine is a saint.
The whole quote is "Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." So, by saying that, Fr. John Romanides made it quite clear that he did not call Orthodoxy "a neurobiological illness", on the contrary.

Yes, I understand that he is making a distinction between Orthodoxy and "religion." My point is, it's a bogus distinction and a gimmick.

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosgwLekgn8

This is heretical teaching, a denial of the doctrine of Christ's Sacrifice for sin on the Cross, which is ORTHODOX teaching. It comes from the heretical teacher Fr. John Romanides, an ecumenist and newcalendarist.

Vladimir Moss   One week before

Is this true??

It is true that you should not take Mr. Moss's claim of heresy at face value. If he claims that Mr. Robinson's teaching is heretical, he should at least give a thorough explanation why. Unfortunately, Mr. Moss throws claims of heresy around like it is a hobby, but has he provided a more thorough explanation for his views anywhere?
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »

My point is, it's a bogus distinction and a gimmick.
Why do you think so?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »

My point is, it's a bogus distinction and a gimmick.
Why do you think so?

Because Orthodoxy is a religion. Those who say, "Orthodoxy is not a religion" will usually define "religion" in a way that it is not defined in common discourse. They say "Orthodoxy is not a religion" to grab your attention, but when they finally explain themselves, they've really just shuffled some definitions around and are not saying anything new. Hence it's a gimmick.

Like I said, Fr. John is trying to couch Orthodox spirituality in terms of modern medicine and presenting it as some kind of science for properly aligning the heart and the brain, getting the proper flow of blood and spinal fluid, etc. He is appealing to materialism and scientism.

He says: We call religion a neurobiological sickness since it stems from a short-circuit between the nervous system centered in the heart, which circulates the spinal fluid, and the blood system centered in the heart which pumps blood throughout the body, including the nervous system. The cure of this sickness of religion is accomplished by repairing said short-circuit between the two hearts which pump blood and spinal fluid which allows them to function normally. In this normal state the various fantasies, religious and otherwise, produced by said short-circuit between the brain and the heart disappear and with them one's fantasies also disappear, including that of religion. The Bible calls this neurological energy the spirit of man which the Fathers came to call the noetic energy.

First of all, who is "we" in the first sentence? Where in any of the fathers do we find this peculiar idea of "religion" and Orthodoxy curing a "short-circuit" between the nervous system and the circulatory system?

Fr. John's approach in making a spiritual discipline out to be an empiricist medical science is disturbingly reminiscent of similar efforts by various new age gurus.

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »

You are criticising Fr. John for appealing to modern definitions, and yet you appeal to a modern definition of "religion", too. Did the Fathers call Orthodoxy a "religion"?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 03:39:37 PM »

You are criticising Fr. John for appealing to modern definitions, and yet you appeal to a modern definition of "religion", too.

Please point me to a pre-modern source defining religion (or comparable Latin/ Greek words) as "a neurobiological illness." The English word "religion" has Latin roots and has a very stable definition over time.

Did the Fathers call Orthodoxy a "religion"?

Fr. John uses the word threskeia which is found in the scriptures and the Fathers to describe the Christian religion.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »

I think the problem with Steve Robinson's approach (he's not a priest right? If he is I'll add the Fr. to his name) is that it is much too unsophisticated. I don't think it holds up well under scrutiny.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »

I think the problem with Steve Robinson's approach (he's not a priest right? If he is I'll add the Fr. to his name) is that it is much too unsophisticated. I don't think it holds up well under scrutiny.
He's some kind of minor clergy, but would probably get a good laugh to find out people were referring to him with some kind of liturgical title.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: