Poll

do you (an Orthodox Christian) sport a beard?

yes, I do.
No, I don't
I'm a woman, silly!
(I'm a man) and don't have the ability to grow facial hair

Author Topic: Orthodox Christians: do you have a beard?  (Read 20435 times)

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Re: Orthodox Christians: do you have a beard?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:58 PM »
Our Bishops do not moonlight as stylists. They do not tell Priests what haircut should they have. I'm surprised that your do.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »
wish I could have some facial hair but it's against school dress code.(gotta love the Jesuits)

The day I graduated from my Benedictine high school was the last day I shaved.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »

A couple times I tried dyeing the beard with that "Just For Men" stuff.  I thought it looked harsh and fake, and the more I pondered the idea, it really seemed like a vain thing to do.  So now I just leave it "salt and pepper" colored and it covers up my double chins.  Plus, I don't have to shave every day.

The last time I read the ingredients in "Just for Men," it mentioned lead.
My husband was considering using it at that time because of age discrimination at work.
When he saw the ingredients, he declined.

I have never dyed my long hair and it is salt-pepper with two grey streaks in it.

The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 05:40:15 PM »
Our Bishops do not moonlight as stylists. They do not tell Priests what haircut should they have. I'm surprised that your do.

Do the monasteries at Mt. Athos allow clean shaven men?

My priest told me that he grew one so that he could visit Mt. Athos.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:40:50 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
i'm glad mina soliman has a beard. it's culturally very rare among copts to have a beard. when my friend started to grow one, i told him it looked great. his dad (a priest) said, 'but why does he want a beard, he is not a priest!' i argued with my priest that more men should have beards, and he couldn't find a church rule prohibiting it, so i guess it's really just a cultural thing.
i just like beards, they're great, especially on men!  ;) i also think faint fuzzy facial hair looks good, eg on east asian or african people.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »

As visitors - yes.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2352392740082505134RDvIcc

As Monks - IDK.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:02:23 PM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline jordanz

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 06:20:29 PM »

As visitors - yes.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2352392740082505134RDvIcc

As Monks - IDK.

Where did the custom that all visitors to Mt. Athos have to be male begin?  Is this generally the custom at Orthodox monasteries?

Women can and do visit Roman monasteries.  They might not be allowed in certain places, but they are are often allowed to hear public Masses and other liturgies for the community.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:20:46 PM by jordanz »

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2011, 06:29:07 PM »
Where did the custom that all visitors to Mt. Athos have to be male begin? 

Is this generally the custom at Orthodox monasteries?

No Monastery in Poland practises this. I don't know what happens elsewhere.

Online Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:47 PM »
For Great Lent, I have grown out my goattee and now have a full beard.

Good for you Father!  ;)

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

• Merarches
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2011, 07:34:57 PM »
I wish I could grow a beard down to my knees, but alas, it seems that my facial hair has reached its limit. Perhaps it's indicative of my stagnant spritual state.  :-[

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »
I wish I could grow a beard down to my knees, but alas, it seems that my facial hair has reached its limit. Perhaps it's indicative of my stagnant spritual state.  :-[

Selam

I seriously doubt the two are connected.  I only wish that one could become more spiritual by growing a longer beard.  That would, for me at least, be easier than fasting and praying. 
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2011, 12:45:26 AM »
Grew it out in time for Lent.  Sad thing is once I shave it for Pascha, most people don't even notice!
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline HandmaidenofGod

• Archon
  • O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »
Not Orthodox Christian, always clean shaven.  My beard looks patchy and strange.  I find it very strange that now Roman parish priests are permitted to have beards.  Most are still clean shaven, but every once in a while I see one with a beard.  Rome should bring back the rubric that all her parish clergy must be clean shaven.

I once knew a Ruthenian Eastern Catholic priest who is clean shaven with the full permission of his eparch.  Can Orthodox priests be clean shaven?  Must an Orthodox priest get a "dispensation" if he wishes to be clean shaven? I've never seen an Orthodox priest without a beard.  

In general, Orthodox clergy and monastics do not shave (and many do not cut their hair) as a sign of rejection of vanity and "things of this world." However, as some of our parish priests have to hold full-time jobs in addition to being a priest, they shave to meet their professional requirements. Clergy who are chaplains in the US Armed Forces generally have a clean shaven appearance to conform with military dress code. (And some men are just unable to grow a full beard. I know of one man that lost most of his hair on his head by 21 and simply can't grow a beard.)

Off the top of my head I can think of at least four Orthodox priests who are sans facial hair. I'm sure there are many more.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 08:08:54 PM »
I have a shaggy chin and a horrible excuse for a mustache, and the beginnings of a fine, patchy Amish beard.  The mustache and the chin beard (it honestly looks like Nero's) will go when I get a new razor, but the goatee/soul patch makes my face more angular and my head less egg-like so it will stay.  But my ability to grow facial hair is rather pathetic.  Even my priest made fun of it once  :'(.

If I let my beard grow out, it resembles something from the Taliban. A friend says my goatee looks "Conquistador," which explains why Mexican Indians hide their gold when they see me coming. But, seriously, shaving is a barbaric practice. :)

I changed my avatar to a recent picture of me, beard and all.

I like your beard, what is that hat you are wearing called? And why do you wear it?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »
I have a shaggy chin and a horrible excuse for a mustache, and the beginnings of a fine, patchy Amish beard.  The mustache and the chin beard (it honestly looks like Nero's) will go when I get a new razor, but the goatee/soul patch makes my face more angular and my head less egg-like so it will stay.  But my ability to grow facial hair is rather pathetic.  Even my priest made fun of it once  :'(.

If I let my beard grow out, it resembles something from the Taliban. A friend says my goatee looks "Conquistador," which explains why Mexican Indians hide their gold when they see me coming. But, seriously, shaving is a barbaric practice. :)

I like your beard, what is that hat you are wearing called? And why do you wear it?

That is a turban from the Indian State of Rajasthan.  A very good friend of mine is from India and he and his family went back there over Christmas to visit.  I always watch his house for him when he is gone.  He brought me back a turban.  I have been looking for a Sikh turban for a while, but he did not get a chance to find one of those in my size.  In any case, I was wearing this particular turban during a gathering we were having at his house after he came back from India.  Honestly, I find some of the middle east and far east dress to be far more comfortable than our own and do not mind wearing it, particularly when I am around those who dress that way.  My hair has also gotten quite long and I like the idea of wearing it under a turban more than I like the pony tail more common over here.  Problem is, a pony tail causes fewer problems, so I keep the turban for around home.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2011, 11:20:49 PM »

That is a turban from the Indian State of Rajasthan.  A very good friend of mine is from India and he and his family went back there over Christmas to visit.  I always watch his house for him when he is gone.  He brought me back a turban.  I have been looking for a Sikh turban for a while, but he did not get a chance to find one of those in my size.  In any case, I was wearing this particular turban during a gathering we were having at his house after he came back from India.  Honestly, I find some of the middle east and far east dress to be far more comfortable than our own and do not mind wearing it, particularly when I am around those who dress that way.  My hair has also gotten quite long and I like the idea of wearing it under a turban more than I like the pony tail more common over here.  Problem is, a pony tail causes fewer problems, so I keep the turban for around home.

At first I thought it was a miter.

• Merarches
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2011, 12:49:04 AM »

That's awesome! Very cool and it suits you very well!

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2011, 01:56:11 AM »

Ah a turban, yeah it fits you perfectly I love it. I do like the dress of the middle east and far east far more comfortable than American stuff.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »
Whoa! more than 2/3 orthodox men have a beard? So what is it with the beard, anyways? Is it supposed to mean something? I grew it out once, but it just makes me look so old, and it gets really itchy too...

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 03:16:52 AM »
I tried growing a beard and found that it grows quite well on my chin but looks rather scraggly on my cheeks. I since gave up and settled for a goatee.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:40 AM »

I read in a book that they only allow men with beards on the island. 

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
Whoa! more than 2/3 orthodox men have a beard? So what is it with the beard, anyways? Is it supposed to mean something? I grew it out once, but it just makes me look so old, and it gets really itchy too...

This is most certainly NOT the case. Across the Orthodox world, a small minority of Orthodox men have beards. Walk down the street in Russia, Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, etc. and you won't see more or less beards than if you walk down the street in North America.
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »

This is most certainly NOT the case. Across the Orthodox world, a small minority of Orthodox men have beards. Walk down the street in Russia, Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, etc. and you won't see more or less beards than if you walk down the street in North America.

ah I see...good to know i'm not violating some kind of orthodox custom....

Offline Ortho_cat

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »

I read in a book that they only allow men with beards on the island.  

:o

I could just imagine seeing a sign that reads, 'beards only after this point'
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:18:37 PM by Ortho_cat »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »
An Orthodox man without a beard is like a Catholic without a rosary: it's a sure sign that we're dealing with an impious fellow who is merely a pew warmer! I always grow a beard. When I'm Orthodox.  >:(

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2011, 05:29:37 PM »
An Orthodox man without a beard is like a Catholic without a rosary: it's a sure sign that we're dealing with an impious fellow who is merely a pew warmer! I always grow a beard. When I'm Orthodox.  >:(
Um, Orthodox shouldn't even have pew warmers.  >:(

:D
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2012, 05:14:01 PM »
I've had a beard for about two years now and don't plan on shaving it.  I asked my wife the other day if I could grow a Duck Dynasty beard.  No answer... :)  I love that show!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in a china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
I shaved recently.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline choy

• Archon
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
I notice in the parish I am going to move to, most of the men have beards.  80% of the parish are converts to Orthodoxy, so no surprise by the number of hyperdox members.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
No. Women don't really dig the beard. I shave every morning.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2012, 06:35:12 PM »
No beard here, but I do have a mustacheless goattee.

I've never tried to grow a beard and don't know if I can, but I don't think I could stand it even if I did.

Offline miamiwestchester

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2012, 08:47:02 PM »
Yes I have one, not very long, but I don't know if I can grow it longer. I grow one every winter, and then it becomes a goatee once spring comes around, through summer & fall.

Offline choy

• Archon
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2012, 11:06:39 PM »
I grew my facial hair when His Beatitude +Sviatoslav came for a visit and I served at the altar.  Curiously our priests shaved for the occasion (not that they have beards anyway).

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2012, 02:13:53 AM »
No. Women don't really dig the beard. I shave every morning.
Some women love the beard.

My wife has much more influence on my facial hair than my parish or my priest. She loves it. I could not care less how the rest of them feel about it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:14:43 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline DavidH

• High Elder
    • Signature Landscape Designs
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2012, 02:21:19 AM »
I noticed on the poll results that the percentage of men without beards and the percentage of women were nearly identical.

Perhaps these two columns should be merged due to their similarity :-)

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2012, 03:03:48 AM »
I do not have a beard.
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2012, 03:17:01 AM »
Yes.  I'm about to remedy that.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2012, 03:24:40 AM »
Pretty much every man who is still raising children has a beard or at least some facial hair from what I have observed--probably due to being so busy keeping your children in line that you do not have time to shave.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2012, 04:50:43 AM »

• Merarches
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
Tried to trim my mustache because I kept chewing it whenever I ate. Couldn't get it even so I kept going until my mustache was totally gone. Now I look like a member of the Taliban. But it does feel better. I never trim my beard though.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +