OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:26:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elaine Pagels new book: "The Original Transsexual Gospel"  (Read 1470 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« on: September 20, 2012, 01:11:45 AM »

Source: http://annunnaki.tumblr.com/

Elaine Pagel's newest release, entitled: Trannies, Terror and Tradition: The Gnostic Transsexual Gospel is due to hit shelves this week.

The 728 page text analyzes the final verses of the Gospel of Thomas, which Dr. Pagels believes indicate an early form of gender re-assignment among the first Christians:

"Simon Peter said to them, 'Make Mary leave us, for females don't deserve life."

Jesus said, 'Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven."

Pagels is convinced that this dynamic view of gender was suppressed by proto-orthodox Christians, who used their enormous treasuries to fund Peloponnesian mercenaries, charging them to eradicate all opposing sects.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:14:10 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:08:23 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:26:48 AM »

"Simon Peter said to them, 'Make Mary leave us, for females don't deserve life."

What a crock.

Memo to Elaine Pagels: Simon Peter was married, and his mother-in-law was healed of a fever by Christ.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:31:33 AM »

Well that's an int
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »

Lord have mercy!

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 03:28:22 AM »

And the implosion continues.  Good grief! 
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:13:25 AM »

Elaine Pagel's newest release, entitled: Trannies, Terror and Tradition: The Gnostic Transsexual Gospel is due to hit shelves this week.

The 728 page text analyzes the final verses of the Gospel of Thomas, which Dr. Pagels believes indicate an early form of gender re-assignment among the first Christians:

Jesus said, 'Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven."

Pagels is convinced that this dynamic view of gender was suppressed by proto-orthodox Christians, who used their enormous treasuries to fund Peloponnesian mercenaries, charging them to eradicate all opposing sects.

So, by not demanding that women become men, the Church showed its hatred of transsexuals?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

She is right, but her premise that Christianity itself originally reflected this view is flawed.  That Christian heresies were out there is not secret, but that the Church quelled them is no conspiracy.  Its further no surprise that since the Reformation, folks spend so much effort trying to support heresies and trivialize the Church.  After all, its the same childish mentality of kids trying to prove adults stupid, when we all know better, that they're both right and that we're all a little stupid sometimes Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:34:06 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »

I honestly thought that everyone would get the parody.

But Poe's Law has clearly ruled the day.

(The Gospel of Thomas quote, however, is 100% real)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 01:38:38 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »

Coming to a History Channel near you soon! Oiy...

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »

I remember reading that and thinking, "So why are people acting like the Gnostics were feminists?"

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »

I remember reading that and thinking, "So why are people acting like the Gnostics were feminists?"

Because gnostics didn't like Christianity
and Feminists don't like Christianity
therefore all gnostics are feminists.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »

Because gnostics didn't like Christianity
and Feminists don't like Christianity
therefore all gnostics are feminists.
ah yes, the undistributed middle

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:46:40 PM »

While I don't like Elaine Pagels, I don't see anything that shows she has this new book coming out. Every search I do comes up with this thread as the first result, and nothing else talks about her "new" book.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »

While I don't like Elaine Pagels, I don't see anything that shows she has this new book coming out. Every search I do comes up with this thread as the first result, and nothing else talks about her "new" book.

A reply, a few posts up, from the person who posted the original post, with important words and easily googled phrases bolded:

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »

It just sounds too much like something Pagels & Co. would actually do.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 08:51:26 PM »

It just sounds too much like something Pagels & Co. would actually do.

Poe's Law is that a parody of a sufficiently extreme view is indistinguishable from the real thing. Apparently that was the case here.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »

They claim it was added on later.

The problem is, it was added on by other Neoplatonists or Gnostics (gnostics... afaik evangelical seminarians popularized the labeling of all neoplatonic groups as "gnostic", although everyone does it now).

I had a history prof refer to the Gospel of John's intro as "gnostic" solely because of the Greek philosophical elements.

But anyway, as with any restorationist/alt religious history group, you have the "Religion of the Gaps" phenomenon. Supposedly in a window now only a few decades wide, and which will only get smaller as new discoveries are made, the R34l Christians were all hypothetical women-affirming gnostics, until Big Pray wiped them out with their nonexistent political power. Or Calvinists' "iconoclasm of the gaps".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:57:16 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 01:13:48 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Poe's Law is that a parody of a sufficiently extreme view is indistinguishable from the real thing. Apparently that was the case h

For evidence of Poe's Law in action check our Islam related threads Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 06:16:57 AM »

Of course it couldn't just represent basic attitudes of ancient greeks and non christians to women.

Thank you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: