OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:06:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Godparents  (Read 1204 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: September 19, 2012, 11:25:03 PM »

What is your relationship like with your godparents?  What is it like having a godparent?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 05:49:50 AM »

My relationship today with my Godparents is one of prayer, my prayers for their blessed repose.  My Godparents demonstrated their love for me throughout their lives on this Earth.  When they sponsored me, they were experiencing problems bearing their own children; and because my parent's friends thought their sponsor at their wedding was going to be my sponsor, no one was coming forward requesting to sponsor me into our cherished faith.  But finally, one of my paternal aunts, told my future Godparents that because my parent's sponsor for their marriage resided in another state, my parents didn't wish for him to be my sponsor.  So, my future Godparents asked my parents if they could sponsor me--I was two years old; and my parents agreed.  My Godparents always remembered me for holidays; my Godmother and I shared the same birthday!  The presents my Godparents gave me were typically something that was useful and which I would cherish.  They remained friendly with my parents and were always included in our family gatherings, along with my sister and brother's God-parents.  They both exhibited personality characteristics that I attempted to emulate as I grew up.  We'd go to Communion together on the annual Godparent Sundays.  At my God-daughter's baptism, during the toast, I asked God to enable me to be as good of a Godparent as my Godparents were to me.  I can't express how much I love them, and how much love they showed me.  They later sponsored another child and he and I maintain a bond due to them.  He and I attend different parishes and are active in both of them.  I recently asked him for some information about some work he oversaw in his church which I would like to have done at my parish.  He responded, "Anything for my God-brother."  

I love them, they showed their love for me and I'm sure intercede for me, from their place of repose.  I never neglect to pray for them, and include their names prominently in my list of prayers for those who have departed this life during the Saturday's of the Souls and other occasions in church.  "Grant eternal blessed repose, pardon forgiveness and remission of sins, for the Servants of God Constandinos and Maria."

At every Christening at my church (I'm the chanter), my priest advises that "Our newly illumined today, will soon either grow out of, or wear out everything that he/she is wearing today; only the cross we have placed on him/her will remain with him/her for the rest of his/her life."  And the cross the priest who baptized me placed on me, a gift of my God-parents, remains with me, 57 years later, this month in fact.

From experience, not all God-parent/God-child relationships are as perfect as mine is, but it is my pleasure to relate the wonderful relationship with which I have been blessed.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:52:51 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:59:11 AM »

Post of Month nomination

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »

'Twas a good answer.

Does their role differ if one joins by chrismation/confirmation than by baptism and chrismation?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 01:05:48 PM »

'Twas a good answer.

Does their role differ if one joins by chrismation/confirmation than by baptism and chrismation?

No, it does not.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:55 PM »

No idea who my god parent even is lol

Forgive my sins.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »

My godmother was my father's sister, and she never really took an interest in us.  She was simply a godmother on paper only.

However, I had the world's best godfather!  He was my mother's brother.

He drove from Pennsylvania to Michigan in a snow storm for an "emergency" baptism.  I was rather premature and barely weighed 5 pounds.  Back in the day, there weren't all these fancy machines to keep babies alive.  I got popped in an incubator for a couple of days and then was sent home.  Since I was early, our priest was at the hospital awaiting my arrival!  LOL!  How honored can I be?  Since it looked like I was stable, he simply gave me a blessing when I was born and said he would baptize when preparations were made.

So, my uncle drove through the snow storm in order to come and get me baptized as soon as possible, in case I wasn't going to make it.

I was baptized on day 3 of life, in my parents' house (not in church - due to snow storm).  I have a photo of my godfather simply holding me on the palm of his hand.  I think I never left his palm after that.  He was always there.  Whatever I needed.

Eventually he and my grandfather moved to Michigan to be near us, and when my father passed away, leaving my mother alone with two young kids (both his godchildren), without a word, he took us in, and became the best "father" a kid could ever ask for.

He made sure we went to church every Sunday.  He taught us to ride our bikes, drive a car, and stand on our own two feet.  He taught us about limits, morals and ethics.  He taught us, by being himself.  He was a great Orthodox Christian.  My whole family was/is.  By their example they have taught us.  No matter how dirty the job, menial the labor, long the hours, he would do whatever work he could to get by, and he would never complain, but, would thank God for what we did have...no matter how tired he was, no matter how down he was, no matter if there was a snow storm....we were all going to church.

...and we didn't just "attend" services, no.....we had to "do" stuff.  We had to do whatever we could for the Church, not just ourselves.  I knew that before they came to the US they went to Brazil, and my family took an active role in building an Orthodox Church.  My grandfather did the carpentry, and whittled the Royal Gates, my uncle (godfather) painted/wrote the icons, my mother laid the floor....every night after work, all three would be found in church, working.

I can't remember a time in my life that my godfather wasn't active in the church.  When I was young he was the Starosta, and we were all his little helpers.  We got to church first to open the doors, and light the candles.  We stood behind the candle stand to sell the candles.  We were the first ones there and the last to leave, making sure everything was in order and locked up tight.

When he got older he became the Altar Starosta (we ran out of altar boys...dry spell), so, he was always there....a "senior" altar boy.  He kept the Altar clean, in order, things ordered in time,....always serving at the Altar of God.  He never took money for any of it, even when offered, because he believed it an honor to serve God in any capacity.

He was in church, serving in the Altar, up until the day he had a stroke.  In the hospital he asked for an icon to stand near him.  He had Holy Unction, Holy Confession and Communion.  He suffered for six weeks.  Once again, he asked for the Holy Mysteries, and died that evening.

However, even when in pain, lying there humiliated and not being able to move or care for himself, he still thought of others....giving instructions to me (I was the only who was able to understand his very garbled post-stroke speech) to take some of his money and buy my sister's kids back to school supplies....and to always be patient with each other and forgive each other when we quarreled, and to always go to church, etc.

With his life he was the best example.  Kids learn by imitating what they see.  If only I could imitate what I saw.  He was always generous, helpful to everyone, industrious, never gave up, and was always content with whatever God sent his way.

Leaving the cemetery, after his funeral, I encountered a homeless man standing on the street corner with a sign.  I had my uncle's wallet with me, and I thought it only fitting that his last earthly dollar would go where he would have himself put it....in to the outstretched, grimy hand of the homeless man.  I pulled over and gave the man the money and told him it was from my "just" buried uncle and the man cried....and said he would pray for him.

When my uncle was alive, all I did was watch him and help him.

Since his passing, I have tried to imitate what he taught me and am no longer satisfied to just come to church and pray...and then just leave.  I must be active.  I have no other choice.  ...and because I have tried to do what he did, I have found my life to be getting fuller and more joyful with each passing moment.  There's is no greater reward then the happiness you feel, when you've helped someone.  Without his, and my mother's wonderful examples, training and encouragement, I would not be where I am today, nor whom I am today.

It's been 8 years since he passed away....and we pray for him every day....as we know he prays for us.  I imagine he has found some new way to serve God in "that" world, because I know he wouldn't just be idle.  

He once gave me an prayer book.  It has an inscription in it from his buddy, who gifted the book to him.  On the next page, he inscribed it to me - "for prayerful remembrance, from your godfather."  I hold that prayer book in my hands every evening as we read our evening prayers....and remember him.

I still miss him so much.

I hope your godparent/sponsor will have as profound an affect on you, as mine had, and still has, on me.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:51:08 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »

Very strong reading and a beautiful story. In time (if God wills it) i hope to find godparents that will do that. I have noticed someone i am sure can be good as godparents, but it it way too early yet.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »

Who was standing next to you at your chrismation?
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:08 AM »

What do you do with your godparents when you are grown up and know the basics?

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 03:25:11 AM »

Maintain social relations with them.  Attend church with them.  In the GOAA we have Godparents Sunday, when we participate in the Divine Liturgy together and Commune together, usually a breakfast follows.  Help them when needed.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 11:18:54 PM »

My godmother was my father's sister, and she never really took an interest in us.  She was simply a godmother on paper only.

However, I had the world's best godfather!  He was my mother's brother.

He drove from Pennsylvania to Michigan in a snow storm for an "emergency" baptism.  I was rather premature and barely weighed 5 pounds.  Back in the day, there weren't all these fancy machines to keep babies alive.  I got popped in an incubator for a couple of days and then was sent home.  Since I was early, our priest was at the hospital awaiting my arrival!  LOL!  How honored can I be?  Since it looked like I was stable, he simply gave me a blessing when I was born and said he would baptize when preparations were made.

So, my uncle drove through the snow storm in order to come and get me baptized as soon as possible, in case I wasn't going to make it.

I was baptized on day 3 of life, in my parents' house (not in church - due to snow storm).  I have a photo of my godfather simply holding me on the palm of his hand.  I think I never left his palm after that.  He was always there.  Whatever I needed.

Eventually he and my grandfather moved to Michigan to be near us, and when my father passed away, leaving my mother alone with two young kids (both his godchildren), without a word, he took us in, and became the best "father" a kid could ever ask for.

He made sure we went to church every Sunday.  He taught us to ride our bikes, drive a car, and stand on our own two feet.  He taught us about limits, morals and ethics.  He taught us, by being himself.  He was a great Orthodox Christian.  My whole family was/is.  By their example they have taught us.  No matter how dirty the job, menial the labor, long the hours, he would do whatever work he could to get by, and he would never complain, but, would thank God for what we did have...no matter how tired he was, no matter how down he was, no matter if there was a snow storm....we were all going to church.

...and we didn't just "attend" services, no.....we had to "do" stuff.  We had to do whatever we could for the Church, not just ourselves.  I knew that before they came to the US they went to Brazil, and my family took an active role in building an Orthodox Church.  My grandfather did the carpentry, and whittled the Royal Gates, my uncle (godfather) painted/wrote the icons, my mother laid the floor....every night after work, all three would be found in church, working.

I can't remember a time in my life that my godfather wasn't active in the church.  When I was young he was the Starosta, and we were all his little helpers.  We got to church first to open the doors, and light the candles.  We stood behind the candle stand to sell the candles.  We were the first ones there and the last to leave, making sure everything was in order and locked up tight.

When he got older he became the Altar Starosta (we ran out of altar boys...dry spell), so, he was always there....a "senior" altar boy.  He kept the Altar clean, in order, things ordered in time,....always serving at the Altar of God.  He never took money for any of it, even when offered, because he believed it an honor to serve God in any capacity.

He was in church, serving in the Altar, up until the day he had a stroke.  In the hospital he asked for an icon to stand near him.  He had Holy Unction, Holy Confession and Communion.  He suffered for six weeks.  Once again, he asked for the Holy Mysteries, and died that evening.

However, even when in pain, lying there humiliated and not being able to move or care for himself, he still thought of others....giving instructions to me (I was the only who was able to understand his very garbled post-stroke speech) to take some of his money and buy my sister's kids back to school supplies....and to always be patient with each other and forgive each other when we quarreled, and to always go to church, etc.

With his life he was the best example.  Kids learn by imitating what they see.  If only I could imitate what I saw.  He was always generous, helpful to everyone, industrious, never gave up, and was always content with whatever God sent his way.

Leaving the cemetery, after his funeral, I encountered a homeless man standing on the street corner with a sign.  I had my uncle's wallet with me, and I thought it only fitting that his last earthly dollar would go where he would have himself put it....in to the outstretched, grimy hand of the homeless man.  I pulled over and gave the man the money and told him it was from my "just" buried uncle and the man cried....and said he would pray for him.

When my uncle was alive, all I did was watch him and help him.

Since his passing, I have tried to imitate what he taught me and am no longer satisfied to just come to church and pray...and then just leave.  I must be active.  I have no other choice.  ...and because I have tried to do what he did, I have found my life to be getting fuller and more joyful with each passing moment.  There's is no greater reward then the happiness you feel, when you've helped someone.  Without his, and my mother's wonderful examples, training and encouragement, I would not be where I am today, nor whom I am today.

It's been 8 years since he passed away....and we pray for him every day....as we know he prays for us.  I imagine he has found some new way to serve God in "that" world, because I know he wouldn't just be idle.  

He once gave me an prayer book.  It has an inscription in it from his buddy, who gifted the book to him.  On the next page, he inscribed it to me - "for prayerful remembrance, from your godfather."  I hold that prayer book in my hands every evening as we read our evening prayers....and remember him.

I still miss him so much.

I hope your godparent/sponsor will have as profound an affect on you, as mine had, and still has, on me.

What a wonderful and inspiring story of what the good godparent does . I hope you continue to ask him for his prayers and say your prayers for him with annual memorials.

Thomas.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 12:32:43 AM »

Who was standing next to you at your chrismation?

Haha, I really don't know his name.

Forgive my sins.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »

(My relationship with my godparents is not really very alive any longer, but I won't get into that).

Having godparents is great.  They have a special place in your prayers, and you'll have a special place in theirs.  You'll find that when you join the Church and are "adopted" by your godparents, you'll not only join the Church family, but have a new genealogy of your own.  I like to think of everyone whom my godparents are related to in this way as cousins.  It's great fun.  You'll find that your "relatives" have amazing experiences, and who you are as a person will greatly benefit from being attached to these people and learning from them.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: