OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:01:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Provocative Art Exibit Shakes Moscow  (Read 1316 times) Average Rating: 0
Zenovia
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« on: September 21, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »

"...Moscow has been rocked by another controversial performance - a provocative art exhibition inspired by punk band Pussy Riot caused protests by Orthodox Christians outside the Modern Art Gallery complex, along with a bomb threat..."

"...On Thursday, nine people were detained for public order violations as a group of around 20 people, mostly Russian Cossacks, attempted to disrupt the opening night of the exhibition. Chanting “No to Liberal Fascism" and other slogans, they attempted to force their way into the gallery.

The protesters say they were offended by the exhibit, which is set to remain intact for now..."

"...As the trial went ahead, international superstars such as Paul McCartney, Madonna, Sting, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Faith No More and a handful of other legendary pop and rock artists and ensembles voiced support for Pussy Riot.

The case also sparked a wave of vandalism and anti-church frenzy. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov addressed the issue, warning against degenerating into religious hysteria..."

"...In the Ukrainian capital Kiev, the leader of the country’s activist group Femen took a chainsaw to a cross in Kiev in protest of the trial. The symbolic felling of the cross has been dubbed as a “Trash Prayer, echoing Pussy Riot’s Punk Prayer.

Femen went even further and offered paymentto anyone who desecrates Orthodox crosses and churches. Cutting down a cross was announced to be worth as much as 6,000 rubles (US$188)..."

Read On --

http://rt.com/news/moscow-exhibit-pussy-riot-625/
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »

Let me summarise: people who made exhibition we arrested and people who threatened to detonate some bombs were not.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:02:15 PM »

Suppose they didn't catch the guy who made the bomb threats...seeing as that's the point of using a bomb, being away before it goes off...

Just sayin'.

Oh well, I will give $188 to anyone who desecrates someone who desecrates a cross.  If three or more bodily fluids are used I will up that to $200. 
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »

Oh well, I will give $188 to anyone who desecrates someone who desecrates a cross. 

Grin

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »

I am of two minds. As an American I could not condone our government taking actions that were taken against the unfortunately named and misguided quartet, nor do I condone any advocacy by Orthodox folks (no matter what their position) against those who deliberately offend us. I continue to believe that the proper response is to pray for them. As an Orthodox, I can understand how the Russian Orthodox feel about these great provocations and their inclination to do more than pray for them. The point is that we all would like to attack those who attack us, and it is only very strongly felt religious or civic convictions that prevents us from doing so.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:25:12 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:24:37 AM »

It's not an Orthodox protester. Look at the symbol at the man's shirt. Pay attention to that symbol. It's the next swastika, the new hammer and sickle. It is the symbol of Eurasianism a new form of slavic-fascism, the brainchild of Alexander Dugin, whom has ever more ears listening to him in Moscow's high circle.

http://www.themontrealreview.com/letters/weekly-review/Aleksandr-Dugin-The-Prophet-of-the-New-Russian-Empire.php

http://www.azure.org.il/article.php?id=483

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Dugin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics
The book states that "the maximum task [of the future] is the 'Finlandization’ of all of Europe".[1]

In Europe:

Germany should be offered the de facto political dominance over most Protestant and Catholic states located within Central and Eastern Europe. Kaliningrad oblast could be given back to Germany. The book uses the term a "Moscow-Berlin axis".[1]

France should be encouraged to form a "Franco-German bloc" with Germany. Both countries have a "firm anti-Atlanticist tradition".[1]

United Kingdom should be cut off from Europe.[1]

Finland should be absorbed into Russia. Southern Finland will be combined with the Republic of Karelia and northern Finland will be "donated to Murmansk Oblast".[1]

Estonia should be given to Germany's sphere of influence.[1]

Latvia and Lithuania should be given a "special status" in the Eurasian-Russian sphere.[1]

Poland should be granted a "special status" in the Eurasian sphere.[1]

Romania, Macedonia, "Serbian Bosnia" and Greece - "orthodox collectivist East" - will unite with the "Moscow the Third Rome" and reject the "rational-individualistic West".[1]

Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as an independent state with certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is sanitary cordon, which would be inadmissible.[1]

In the Middle East and Central Asia:

The book stresses the "continental Russian-Islamic alliance" which lies "at the foundation of anti-Atlanticist strategy". The alliance is based on the "traditional character of Russian and Islamic civilization".

Iran is a key ally. The book uses the term "Moscow-Tehran axis".[1]

Armenia has a special role and will serve as a "strategic base" and it is necessary to create a "the [subsidiary] axis Moscow-Erevan-Teheran". Armenians "are an Aryan people ... [like] the Iranians and the Kurds".[1]

Azerbaijan could be "split up" or given to Iran.[1]

Georgia should be dismembered. Abkhazia and "United Ossetia" (which includes Georgia's South Ossetia) will be incorporated into Russia. Georgia's independent policies are unacceptable.[1]

Russia needs to create "geopolitical shocks" within Turkey. These can be achieved by employing Kurds, Armenians and other minorities.[1]
The book regards Caucasus as a Russian territory, including "the eastern and northern shores of the Caspian (the territories of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan)" and Central Asia (mentioning Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kirghistan and Tajikistan).[1]

In Asia:

Russia should contain People's Republic of China, which represents a danger to Russia. Russia should offer China help "in a southern direction –
Indochina (except Vietnam), the Philippines, Indonesia, Australia".[1]

Russia should manipulate Japanese politics by offering the Kuriles to Japan and provoking anti-Americanism.[1]

Mongolia should be absorbed into Eurasia-Russia.[1]

The book emphasizes that Russia must spread Anti-Americanism everywhere: "the main ‘scapegoat’ will be precisely the U.S."

In the United States:

Russia should use its special forces within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism. For instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics."[1]

The Eurasian Project could be expanded to South and Central America.[1]

Hoover Institution senior fellow John B. Dunlop states that "the impact of this intended “Eurasianist” textbook on key Russian elites testifies to the worrisome rise of fascist ideas and sentiments during the late Yeltsin and the Putin period."[2]

[1] John B. Dunlop. "Review: Aleksandr Dugin’s Foundations of Geopolitics". - http://www.princeton.edu/~lisd/publications/wp_russiaseries_dunlop.pdf
[2] Russia’s New—and Frightening—“Ism” - http://www.hoover.org/publications/digest/3020531.html

http://debateolavodugin.blogspot.com.br/

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:37:13 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »

I am familiar with this tired neo-fascist, discredited 'panslavist' with a 'modern' twist clap-trap. It represents neither rational thinking nor is it Orthodox thinking.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:44:20 AM »

The problem is that they portray themselves as Orthodox and Western media buys it. Specially those to whom it is convenient to demonize Orthodoxy implying that it is showing its "true" face in these people. If the Russian Church does not take a firm stand against FSB, against the same ellite that governed in communist times (where's the Nuremberg of Communism, judging including the KGB?) and against Eurasianists, we are going to see in the 21st century the same thing we saw in the 20th: a world war, with much greater consequences and impact.

Iran has said that any attack from Israel would cause a world war. One of the main ideologies influencing the Russian regime believes in a "Russian-Iran" axis, as quoted above. They openly and explicitily make demonizing and destabilizing the US a target and key point of their strategy.

We have seen where all this leads before.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:53:45 AM »

Like Germany after WW I, Russia feels humilliated with the fall of the Soviet Empire - after all they were the Great Evil before, but at least they were Great -it feels culturally lost in face of Western worse cultural aspects advancing over their country, a dissapoiting economy, the military interference of the US in areas previously under their circle of influence. And then comes a compensatory ideology that tickles vanities, provides "guidance" in the form of a black and white strict doctrine, praise their past (unfortunately here, Orthodox) and say they can be great again.

Unfortunately, my friends, if Dugin gets his way in Russia, and I think he will, this will destroy any possibility of Orthodox missions in the West for many centuries. Orthodoxy will be linked with a fascist empire that started WW III, it will be, for all social effects, the Nazism and the Communism of the 21s century.

I hope and pray the Russian Church stops it before it happens. But I am not sure they understand the consequences.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »

international superstars such as Paul McCartney, Madonna, Sting, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Faith No More and a handful of other legendary pop and rock artists and ensembles voiced support for Pussy Riot
This tells me that I am correct for looking poorly on Pussy Riot.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »

The 8-pointed star is the symbol of Chaos in Warhammer 40,000.  But don't worry, Ordo Hereticus has already been contacts and a company of Space Marines have been dispatched. 

But yeah, everything listed about these Chaos-fascists seems pretty plausible when you think about it, though I think there will be more cooperation between Russia and China than they let one.  I think they are strange bedfellows, but bedfellows nonetheless.  Likewise, the Russian-Iranian axis is going to be very interesting.  For starts, I would be interested to know how the Moscow-Tehran axis will affect the Tehran-Islamabad axis?  Russia has habitually supported India with the US supporting Pakistan, though as of late US-Pakistan relations have been somewhat strained.

The Russia-Iran thing is going to get very interesting shortly.  I think it is safe to say that Iran is the core state of the Shiite moslems as much as they can have a core state.  The Iranians have been giving Assad support in Syria and have for a long time supported Hezbollah in Lebanon.  (If there is not a major Russia vs the West clash in this century I think we could see an Iran vs Moslem Brotherhood clash.  That would be VERY interesting to watch!)

We have a lot of potential fault lines for the next war.  If I survive until my sixties I think it will be a fun time to be a historian.  I'll just have to survive through my late thirties and forties, which is when I think the next war is going to happen.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: