OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:22:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Christian here, visited a Greek church last Sunday  (Read 538 times) Average Rating: 0
elevatedarcher

Faith: I am a brand new Christian
Jurisdiction: I don't have one yet!

« on: September 18, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »

Hello everyone,
I was raised a Methodist but left the church and Christianity when I was around 13 years old. I did what many young teenagers do and rebelled against my parents, I got kicked out of High School, did drugs, drank way to much, did a lot of stupid things. I eventually crashed and burned, and was close to suicide or just insanity. Not long ago I was taken under the wing of a wonderful Moldovan lady, she was my Russian teacher who became a mentor and friend. She led me back on the road to Christ after many years of me being a heathen in every way possible.

The last 6 or so weeks I have attended services in evangelical free churches, Anglican, Methodist and then last Sunday my Moldovan friend took me to her little Greek Orthodox Church down the road from my town. I was very much surprised with the beauty of the Greek service (or liturgy sorry not sure what it's called) and actually felt kind of at home. There were moments I did not feel comfortable though, when the ladies around me kept crossing themselves, and when the missionary speaking after communion was ripping on Western Europe for secularism. I am of Norwegian and German ancestry, I took to heart what he was saying and shouldn't have. I have had uncomfortable moments in each of the churches I have attended though. The demons that ruled me for so long DO NOT want me to be worshiping Christ, or to feel at home in a church, or at least this is what it seems to me.

But for the most part I did really enjoy being at the church and having it feel like an actually house of worship. I am craving a place to worship Jesus Christ and become part of a community. I am not sure I am or ever will be Orthodox as I am just beginning my journey. I would love to learn more from you all here as I have read some of your posts the last couple of weeks, yes I was lurking some  Grin

I would love for some of you more knowledgeable members to point me towards literature or other websites that you find interesting or beneficial to you. I have been eating up podcasts and video about Christianity lately from all ends of the spectrum. I have listened to much of Dr.James White on his show "The Dividing Line", I try to read William Lane Craig, and I have listened to many episodes of "Our Life in Christ" with Bill Gould and Steve Robinson. I also love "Unbelievable with Justin Brierley" and try to watch debates between  Muslim-Christian, Atheist-Christian, etc. I read the Bible every day and have been given a copy of Bede's "A History of the English Church and People" and picked up Eusebius "The History of the Church"

Thank you all for reading my words, as I felt I needed to tell someone something.
Peace of Christ be with you  angel
-The Archer

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Psalm 34 7

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind Romans 12 2
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:04:02 AM »

"The Orthodox Church," by Timothy Ware, who is now Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia, an auxiliary bishop to the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Thyateira and Great Britain, a retired Oxford professor.  Recent information about the Holy Orthodox Churches is 20 years out of date, but of course, as the church's theology is timeless, there's nothing out of date about the dogma, teachings, and practice of the Eastern Orthodox Christian Church.  This is a traditional English language orientation  to the Orthodox Church.  The Ancient Faith Radio website will be of much benefit, and each of the major Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of North & Central America websites, the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOAA), "goarch.og", the Orthodox Chrurch in America (OCA), (prior to 1970 the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Metropolia), "oca.org", and the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America, "antiochian.org" have a wealth of information, too.  Look over the bookstores too, Holy Cross Orthodox Bookstore (GOAA) of the Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology; the OCA's St. Vladimir Orthodox Theological School and St. Tikhon Seminary bookstores; Conciliar Press; and Light & Life Publishing; have a wealth of information, too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:10:07 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Deborah

Faith: Newbie Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Never look back

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:12:13 AM »

Welcome to the forum elevatedarcher!  I enjoyed reading your story thus far.

I'm not yet Orthodox, still learning about the faith with a view to convert eventually.  Books I've found helpful include The Orthodox Way as mentioned by Basil and Facing East by Frederica Matthewes-Green.  The Our Life in Christ archived podcasts are great, as is Ancient Faith Radio.  The Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) is good for getting the Orthodox and patristic understanding of scripture.  Good websites include this forum Smiley and journeytoorthodoxy.com 

The best way to learn is to attend Divine Liturgy and other Orthodox services, as the words are packed with scripture and theology of the Church.

God Bless
Deborah

Live in South/East Auckland, Franklin or North Waikato regions of New Zealand? Interested in Orthodoxy? Need transport to an Orthodox Church? Want to meet others? Please send me a PM Smiley

"You have made us for yourself, Lord; and our hearts are restless until they rest in You" - St. Augustine
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:29:32 AM »

Hello elevated! Wlecome.

If I may give some advice. Take things slow. There is alot to take in.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »

Dear elevatedarcher,

Welcome.  I'm glad you felt "at home" in the Orthodox Church.  Orthodoxy is blessedness.  The Orthodox DO cross themselves a lot, it is a physical form of prayer. 

You might also like to look at http://journeytoorthodoxy.com which is a website with many stories of people who have become Orthodox.

I agree the way to learn the faith is to attend services.  And then read, so that what you learn in the Church will be supported by what you read. 

Love, elephant

elevatedarcher

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »

Thanks to all for the replies. It is all very informative and helpful. I have much work ahead of me  Shocked
God Bless

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Psalm 34 7

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind Romans 12 2
elevatedarcher

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »

Just wanted to say thank you again for all the info! I went to my local big box bookstore today and bought a copy of "The Orthodox Study Bible" and looking forward to delving into it so thank you Deborah for that suggestion. Basil 320 WOW so much there...God Bless you and Elephant that is a great site.

-The Archer

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: