OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 09:06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to confession for the sole purpose of recieving absolution  (Read 408 times) Average Rating: 0
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »

I have a question regarding repentance and confession.

Last time I went to confession it was before Lent. A while after that, I find myself relapsing into the sin I've confessed out of anger, boredom and loneliness. In addition, the thoughts that assault me from time to time often get me into a sinful state as if I'm not in God's favor. I try to make things right with prayer (primarily), bible readings, asking God for forgiveness and mercy.

What my priest told me during my last confession was to focus on the positive actions to keep the thoughts and temptations off. I'm still struggling with that because I get distracted easily.

I want to go to confession one day to receive absolution because without it I can't recieve the Eucharist. Out of respect for the blessed sacrament, I abstained because I knew my sinfulness. I'm having a hard time arranging for confession because of all my duties and errands (school, work, etc.)

My fruits of repentance have been sour this far and I'm afraid that they'll be stale unless I go to onfession to recieve absolution. Is it sinful to think this way? Is going to confession forthr sole purpose of absolution sinful or not?

I just want to be cool with God, that's all. It's just the responsibilities I had to live up to are much more for me to handle no matter how often I ask for God's mercy.

- GTA

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »

I have a question regarding repentance and confession.

Last time I went to confession it was before Lent. A while after that, I find myself relapsing into the sin I've confessed out of anger, boredom and loneliness. In addition, the thoughts that assault me from time to time often get me into a sinful state as if I'm not in God's favor. I try to make things right with prayer (primarily), bible readings, asking God for forgiveness and mercy.

What my priest told me during my last confession was to focus on the positive actions to keep the thoughts and temptations off. I'm still struggling with that because I get distracted easily.

I want to go to confession one day to receive absolution because without it I can't recieve the Eucharist. Out of respect for the blessed sacrament, I abstained because I knew my sinfulness. I'm having a hard time arranging for confession because of all my duties and errands (school, work, etc.)

My fruits of repentance have been sour this far and I'm afraid that they'll be stale unless I go to onfession to recieve absolution. Is it sinful to think this way? Is going to confession forthr sole purpose of absolution sinful or not?

I just want to be cool with God, that's all. It's just the responsibilities I had to live up to are much more for me to handle no matter how often I ask for God's mercy.

- GTA
Isn't the whole goal of confession to receive God's forgiveness?
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 05:47:04 AM »

Well, maybe you should pay attention to yourself a bit. Indeed, you go to confession for all the reasons you go to confession for. They are already per-established and you don't have to burden yourself with this receiving absolution thing (to an extreme).  It is important to receive the healing of God's forgiveness and the confirmation that the bonds of sin have been loosened, but have faith that the forgiveness is always granted because God loves us, not because of our confession, because of the way we confess, or that we confess. Yes, it is important to confess, to ask forgiveness, but the actual forgiveness is a gift from God, not something He does in return for our confession (hope you understand the difference).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:47:56 AM by IoanC » Logged

GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »

I understand. Thanks.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: