OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:52:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Faded Piece of Papyrus Refers to Jesus’ Wife  (Read 3103 times) Average Rating: 0
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »

This article from MSNBC.Com may be of interest:  http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13945001-reality-check-on-jesus-and-his-wife?lite
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »

I doubt that this is true. No woman would marry a man who was always right.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:33 PM »

Dr. King's forthcoming article on the fragment addresses some of the issues raised about the fragment: http://news.hds.harvard.edu/files/King_JesusSaidToThem_draft_0917.pdf

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »

Just wait until James Cameron gets involved!
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »

Stealing this. Sorry.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Stealing this. Sorry.

Best to give his spouse the real credit then eh? Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »

Well that's why I asked if I was understanding Punch correctly, because it strikes me as distasteful but could have a reasonable explanation...

Habte explained my position quite well.  Consider the concept of apostasy.  One cannot apostatize if they were never part of "the Bride of Christ".  Yet the Scriptures tell us that there will be a great apostasy.  Christ Himself even asked if He would find Faith.  Are there any of us here that have not committed adultery against our Bridegroom when we give in to the seduction of the Devil?

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Zenovia
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »

Who declared it 'authentic'? The Church? And if not the Church, then what does calling it 'authentic' even mean? Probably just "really, really old", which, yeah okay fine, but who really cares? Lots of writings are really old. It doesn't make them true.

The whole topic is ridiculous, for even those monks, who reached a higher plane of human existence, have been able to free themselves of all physical desires, so how can one say that God was not free?  That those outside of Christianity should even consider it a topic of discussion, only shows their ignorance of Christianity.  Roll Eyes
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2012, 08:45:21 PM »

They just deny he was right , like always. Grin

I found it does me no good being right. Wink

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »

Just wait until James Cameron gets involved!

I was hoping for Geraldo Rivera, but I guess that works too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2012, 12:43:02 AM »

Jesus speaks about the church being his bride... Hmm, I wonder what this could mean?
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »

Jesus speaks about the church being his bride... Hmm, I wonder what this could mean?
It turns out that Mary Magdalene's middle name was "Ecclesia".  Grin

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2012, 07:32:49 AM »

"His Eminence Metropolitan Methodios is grateful to the Reverend Dr. Theodore Stylianopoulos for responding to recent media reports concerning a 4th century Coptic text. Father Stylianopoulos is Professor Emeritus of New Testament at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology."

To read the statement from Fr Ted, go here: http://www.boston.goarch.org/news/metropolis_news/2012/1000.html

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/21/my-take-i-dont-know-if-jesus-was-married-and-i-dont-care/?hpt=hp_t3

The above commentators words probably seem ridiculous to most of us but sadly probably resonate with most of the people who will read it.
BoredMeeting
High Elder

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »

I remember reading one author assert that since Jesus was at the Marriage at Cana around the age that Jewish teenagers of that era were usually wed, this was proof that He was married.

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I remember reading one author assert that since Jesus was at the Marriage at Cana around the age that Jewish teenagers of that era were usually wed, this was proof that He was married.

All the more instances as to why I strongly suggest that the Bible come with a Spiritual Parental Advisory Warning to warn folks not to read the Bible without the assistance of their spiritual fathers, and if they have none, then firsts things first, get one!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »

Today the new york times reported the Vatican is calling it a fake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us/historian-says-piece-of-papyrus-refers-to-jesus-wife.html

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »

Documentary on Smithsonian channel postponed amid doubts of authenticity. More tests are being done.

http://news.yahoo.com/doc-papyrus-fragment-purporting-jesus-had-wife-delayed-214312152.html

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiUZ2qy90_I

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »

Today the new york times reported the Vatican is calling it a fake.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us/historian-says-piece-of-papyrus-refers-to-jesus-wife.html

Of course they would. DaVinci Code and all that. Remember all those popes of the early centuries sending out squadrons of monks with axes to suppress the truth in between getting martyred?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

I am informed that I violated a rule by posting this link alone. I hereby rectify that situation by posting the video description:

"The Christian world is reeling from the discovery of an ancient document suggesting that Jesus was married. And by "reeling from" I mean "not in the slightest bit affected by." Here's why."

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: