OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 04:02:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disposing of Roman Catholic books, statues, etc. as part of my conversion  (Read 1124 times) Average Rating: 0
Ivanov

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

St Theophan the Recluse

« on: September 18, 2012, 12:33:40 PM »

I have been inquiring into The orthodox Church for some time now, and, thanks be to God, my wife and I are now "officially" catechumans. Having been in the RCC for nearly a quarter of a century prior to our sincere conversion to The Orthodox Faith, I am faced with disposing of those writings and statues (and even what were presented to me as 1st class relics of Saints). I have no qualms whatsoever about ridding ourselves of these things, but want to do so according to the mind and heart of The Church. I would greatly appreciate your answers (please include citations from Church Fathers and Holy Scripture) so that I can begin this task soon.

Also, I have posted on this forum previously (it's been awhile), and I want to ask forgiveness if I have offended anyone. I am aware of my weakness and vainglorious tendencies, and most sincerely hope for the forgiveness I seek from any and all.

With much gratefulness, in Christ Our Lord,

Ivanov

"It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me." - John 6;   "I thank you, Father...[  ]that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." - Luke 10
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »

You could donate the books to a library and the statues to a local Catholic church?
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »

Yes, donate them to a local parish who would love to have them.  Or to one of the local Catholic charities.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »

Where/ who are the relics from?

Also, it's not inconceivable that some benefit can be derived by an Orthodox from RC writings.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:01:32 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »

I have been inquiring into The orthodox Church for some time now, and, thanks be to God, my wife and I are now "officially" catechumans. Having been in the RCC for nearly a quarter of a century prior to our sincere conversion to The Orthodox Faith, I am faced with disposing of those writings and statues (and even what were presented to me as 1st class relics of Saints). I have no qualms whatsoever about ridding ourselves of these things, but want to do so according to the mind and heart of The Church. I would greatly appreciate your answers (please include citations from Church Fathers and Holy Scripture) so that I can begin this task soon.

Also, I have posted on this forum previously (it's been awhile), and I want to ask forgiveness if I have offended anyone. I am aware of my weakness and vainglorious tendencies, and most sincerely hope for the forgiveness I seek from any and all.

With much gratefulness, in Christ Our Lord,

Ivanov

When I converted to Orthodoxy, I donated all my Roman Catholic college theological texts to our private cathedral library, so that Orthodox priests and scholars could use them when they confronted a confused Catholic who was converting to Orthodoxy in the future. My Orthodox Priest took possession of my Melkite Eastern Catholic texts which he said were quite Orthodox. The statutes and relics were donated to my Catholic friends. An Eastern Catholic bi-ritual Priest sifted through my Roman Catholic books (those not intended for the college generation). Many of these books had been donated to me by other Catholics who had long since converted to Orthodoxy. Some he trashed as plain heretical; others he kept for the parish library. Incidentally, this priest who serves as a retreat master was shocked at the psycho-babble junk he encountered that was sold as religious goods. There were also books that supported New Age or Wiccan beliefs. It was so weird. Since I had never read those books, I did not realize what my fellow Catholic friends were ingesting.

One college text that I had gifted contained a great explanation of "created grace." This text was invaluable as many Catholics do not fully realize what the Roman Catholic Church actually teaches regarding sanctifying and actual grace, and how inconsistent these doctrines can be.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ivanov

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »

Also, it's not inconceivable that some benefit can be derived by an Orthodox from RC writings.

The difficulty with the relics is that only one has legitimizing papers and seal (St. Teresa of Lisieux). The other two were brought from Italy, but have no supporting papers (despite looking legit).. St. Augustine and St. Anne. There is another of a "Blessed"  Fr. Seelos (not canonized according to RCC tradition) and St. Faustina (whose writings and visions I prefer to avoid as spurious and strange).

I had mentioned to someone else that my concern in giving my books to Roman Catholics was that those items would tend to confirm them in their error, ie, 'here's some more soul-endangering stuff for you'!? As for the statues, if The Orthodox Church rejects the use of statuary, which should I act differently by giving statues to others. The use of those objects is inherent in my giving them to someone. I'm not making an argument here at all... this just seems like common sense.

I agree that there are some things in RCC writings that can be useful, and I welcome those honest things. But, after giving 25 years to their writings, not to mention thousands of dollars, I think it's time to drink from unpolluted fountains, clear streams, especially as my 'golden years' are on the horizon.  Wink

Many thanks for all the helpful input!

Glory to Our God!

Ivanov

"It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me." - John 6;   "I thank you, Father...[  ]that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes." - Luke 10
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »

Who are depicted on the statues? What writings are you talking about?

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 03:10:14 PM »

Give the relics to the RC Bishop and let them decide on how to deal with it.

As with the books, deal with them according to your conscience.

The statues definitely give them to Roman Catholics.  Even though Orthodoxy does not use statues, I believe it is still tantamount to iconoclasm to throw them away.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »

Give them to me! Free stuff rocks.

I'm going to need this.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:08:36 PM »

Whatever you do, it is best to give relics to a devout priest as they would have more discernment.

If you just give them away to strangers, those relics may end up on E-bay, which has had enough relics and bread with mold in the shape of a saint on sale.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »

I was able to unload a few items on some posters here who I know would treat them graciously and accordingly. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ivanov

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »

Whatever you do, it is best to give relics to a devout priest as they would have more discernment.

If you just give them away to strangers, those relics may end up on E-bay, which has had enough relics and bread with mold in the shape of a saint on sale.

Yes, most especially the relics are to be kept safely until in the hands of a devout priest. There is no other option in that regard.

Thanks, Maria!

Ivanov

Ivanov

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »

I agree that "free stuff rocks". Romans 5:15---> check it out

Ivanov

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 05:01:07 PM »

Seriously, if the books are any good, send them to me.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »

The difficulty with the relics is that only one has legitimizing papers and seal (St. Teresa of Lisieux). The other two were brought from Italy, but have no supporting papers (despite looking legit).. St. Augustine and St. Anne. There is another of a "Blessed"  Fr. Seelos (not canonized according to RCC tradition) and St. Faustina (whose writings and visions I prefer to avoid as spurious and strange).

I don't know if the Orthodox Church has a similar system of legitimizing papers. If there's even a chance that they're authentic, I would hold on to them or donate them to your new Orthodox parish (that is, the ones of Orthodox saints).

As for the statues, if The Orthodox Church rejects the use of statuary, which should I act differently by giving statues to others.

There is no actual rule in the Orthodox Church against use of statues. Actually there is evidence that they were in use- 2-dimensional icons just took over and supplanted them. 

I agree that there are some things in RCC writings that can be useful, and I welcome those honest things. But, after giving 25 years to their writings, not to mention thousands of dollars, I think it's time to drink from unpolluted fountains, clear streams, especially as my 'golden years' are on the horizon.  Wink

Understood.  Smiley

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Ivanov

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »

Seriously, if the books are any good, send them to me.

You're too kind... LOL  I'm stupid, so as you might imagine, the books are bad... unless you have a car you want to trade for them  laugh

Ivanov

Ivanov

St Theophan the Recluse

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »

Quote:

I don't know if the Orthodox Church has a similar system of legitimizing papers. If there's even a chance that they're authentic, I would hold on to them or donate them to your new Orthodox parish (that is, the ones of Orthodox saints).

As for the statues, if The Orthodox Church rejects the use of statuary, which should I act differently by giving statues to others.

There is no actual rule in the Orthodox Church against use of statues. Actually there is evidence that they were in use- 2-dimensional icons just took over and supplanted them. 

Understood.  Smiley

Many thanks.. very helpful, Iconodule!

Ivanov

[/quote]

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:41:40 PM »

Thanks for following up my post with this...

I'm going to need this.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »

St. Augustine and St. Anne.

Keep them in your prayer corner, or as someone else mentioned above, donate them to your Orthodox church or maybe a Catholic church where they will receive the veneration due to those saints.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 09:10:10 PM »

If you are sincere and are seeking information, I may have a book I can send you.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »

If you are sincere and are seeking information, I may have a book I can send you.

I don't want to sell off, if that's what you're wondering.

I'm going to need this.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 10:21:02 PM »

I wouldn't mind a relic of St. Augustine.  Smiley

Or give it to an Orthodox priest. He's a saint in Orthodoxy, too.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »

I think donating them to the local Catholic parish would definitely be the best idea.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:38:19 PM by neon_knights » Logged
AZCatholic

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Phoenix

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »

Ivanov , I sent you an email.
Michael36

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian Episcopate (OCA)

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »

I had mentioned to someone else that my concern in giving my books to Roman Catholics was that those items would tend to confirm them in their error, ie, 'here's some more soul-endangering stuff for you'!? As for the statues, if The Orthodox Church rejects the use of statuary, which should I act differently by giving statues to others. The use of those objects is inherent in my giving them to someone. I'm not making an argument here at all... this just seems like common sense.

Many thanks for all the helpful input!

Glory to Our God!

Ivanov
I would say, keep the relics which belong or supposedly belong to Canonized Saints, especially the St. Augustine one. My old Church had two pieces of the true cross, and they both came from the Catholics. The first one was sent by the Pope (can't remember who) to St. Tikhon while he was being persecuted as a sign of solidarity. The relic never made it to St. Tikhon and ended up in a ROCOR church which passed it on to our Church. The other piece was randomly found by a parishioner who bought a wall cross at a Roman Catholic Church's basement sale. They found a reliquary hidden in the back and it had a piece of the True Cross with the Vatican seal on it.

As for the other stuff, give away the books and get rid of the statues. They aren't canonical and the Latins never should have started that tradition to begin with. I don't think that's iconoclasm. I would happily throw away icons of God the Father too.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »

I would happily throw away icons of God the Father too.

The proper way of disposing of heretical icons is by burning.  police

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: