OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 05:57:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legendary Saints  (Read 369 times) Average Rating: 0
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« on: September 23, 2012, 06:07:32 AM »

This is something that I've been turning over in my head for a while.

I'm not really quite sure how to put this, but how do we handle Saints whose lives seem more legendary than real? The ones whose historicity is doubtful? Perhaps the most famous of these are Sts. Christopher and Barbara--the latter of whom doesn't even show up in near-contemporary martyrologies (like that by St. Jerome). I know the Roman Catholics have "demoted" both of them.

What's the Orthodox stance on this? Has a Saint venerated in Orthodoxy ever been conclusively proven by Orthodox Christians to not exist?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:30:11 AM »

Both St Christopher and St Barbara are Orthodox saints. The western St Christopher, the strong man who ferried people on his back over a river, is not found in Orthodox tradition. Christopher of Lycia suffered under the emperor Decius in about AD 250, and St Ambrose of Milan (340-397) wrote of the many thousands of pagans who were converted to Christianity by St Christopher.

Great-martyr Barbara is commemorated not only at her feastday, but also at the Prayer of Intercession at Vespers and Matins, in which a large number of important and prominent saints are invoked. The particular saints commemorated in this prayer varies between Orthodox jurisdictions, but, in my observation, St Barbara is always in the list, along with Sts George the Great Martyr and Panteleimon the Unmercenary.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:49:01 AM by LBK » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 04:41:06 PM »

are you discussing this saint barabara?
http://www.copticchurch.net/synaxarium/4_8.html#2
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »

There are plenty of saints that have legendary elements surrounding them.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »

"Lack of historical evidence" for the Orthodox has never been a hang-up.

Consider what historical evidence we have for anything happening. It is only what has managed to survive--something written down or an artifact. Consider that, for most things, there is no hisotrical record. So, nothing has managed to survive for most of what has happened in history. Does that mean it never happened? You're here, even if you have no idea who your ancestors were because there were no historical records kept.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:59:24 AM »

A saint is venerated for the way God works through the saint.

If a saint turned out not to have lived the particular earthly life we thought they had, this would not be much affected.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: