OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 11:38:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sometihng nice to do for a godparent  (Read 518 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: September 18, 2012, 02:36:54 AM »

What is something nice that I could do for my godfather?  Are there any nice traditions?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »

I only know the prohibitions Wink Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »

I recently brought my own a prayerbook.

Thank you.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:50:57 PM »

Give him a big hug, and take him out to lunch.

Seriously....the best "gift" you can give a godparent/sponsor is to be a good Orthodox Christian.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:02:39 AM »

Give him a big hug, and take him out to lunch.

Seriously....the best "gift" you can give a godparent/sponsor is to be a good Orthodox Christian.
I asked my co-worker because he is my friend and a really nice guy whom I already ask about things and learn from in a variety of things, mostly music-has good taste in music, Armenian, and every now and then on religion and work/career stuff.  Overall, I think he is a good influence on me as I am growing up in my first full-time job. I told him that I have no intention of being a perfect Armenian Orthodox, and he said he isn't a perfect one either.

My 500th post.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:25:47 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »

Only God is perfect, but, we need to try our best.

While we realize we are not perfect, we still need to aim for perfection in our behavior, our words, our deeds and our beliefs, and not settle for mediocre. 

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »

Only God is perfect, but, we need to try our best.

While we realize we are not perfect, we still need to aim for perfection in our behavior, our words, our deeds and our beliefs, and not settle for mediocre.  
I get stressed out about being good enough. Years ago, in the worst year of my post-adolescent life, I remember questioning if I could be saved if I wasn't doing better at avoiding certain sins and being a better person enough. I've struggled with sin, shame, and self-judgement and always thought we should try to be perfect Christians starting on the outside or being like cheerleaders for Jesus in an evangelical way that I honestly don't feel very often. I stopped that church, sort of went to another one, and made some Christian friends at my new school, went to a very different kind of church from my family, and eventually found my way to an Orthodox church.  I chose someone that reminded me of God's grace and of the importance of love and whom I already know. I wonder if this was the right choice or if I am over-thinking things. He is excited because I am getting chrismated in an Armenian church and because being a godfather is a big responsibility. I don't even understand much of what these mean.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:49:23 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »

It means he is going to take an active role in your life, to ensure you understand the Faith, and help keep you on track.  He will be there (theoretically) whenever you need help or a shoulder to lean on.

You shouldn't expect yourself to be "perfect" to the point that you wallow in self loathing and guilt, and get bogged down in misery.  However, you should set a goal of perfection for yourself....and try your best to achieve it....knowing full well, that you will stumble and fall....just remind yourself to get back up and continue the journey.

We can't allow ourselves to think we are "good enough" lest we get in a habit of sin and think nothing of it.  We need to recognize our sins, confess them, and make an honest effort of not repeating them.

I'm a godmother and I take the role very seriously.  I believe that one day I will be standing before God and not only answering for my own actions, but, to a degree...answering for the actions of my godchildren....and what I did to help them, teach them, etc. 

—St. Isaac of Syria
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:12:40 AM »

I think I should talk to my godfather-to-be to find out what he thinks that will be like, since he seems more aware of the responsibility than I have been.

Someone suggested getting a picture at the chrismation and framing it for him with an inscripted date. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:13:01 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »

That would be nice.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: