OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 02:24:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Church's view on Nestorianism--compare to Coptic  (Read 1220 times) Average Rating: 0
loser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ?

« on: September 17, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »

How does the EOC's view of the Nestorian church compare with Coptic? Catholic?
The reason I ask is because I have read that the EOC claims 4 of the original 5 patriarchates (antioch, constantinople, alexandria and jerusalem). It seems you replaced the coptic and syrian patriarchs, but refuse to replace the Roman. Its as if you see the Catholic Church as being more valid than the Coptic. Or as if you group, Coptic, Nestorian and Arian together.

Also, I was reading the history of chalcedon and it says that the church excomunicated Dioscorus. It didnt say that he excommunicated all of the Coptic bishops. How then is the Coptic church separated from the EOC? Shouldnt they still be united. Do the anathemas apply to successive genereations?

I will especially appreciate any answer from a clergyman.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:57:19 PM by loser » Logged
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »

The reason I ask is because I have read that the EOC claims 4 of the original 5 patriarchates (antioch, constantinople, alexandria and jerusalem). It seems you replaced the coptic and syrian patriarchs, but refuse to replace the Roman. Its as if you see the Catholic Church as being more valid than the Coptic. Or as if you group, Coptic, Nestorian and Arian together.

There is no EO Patriarch of Rome for the same reason there is no OO Patriarch of Constantinople (or Rome).

Also, I was reading the history of chalcedon and it says that the church excomunicated Dioscorus. It didnt say that he excommunicated all of the Coptic bishops. How then is the Coptic church separated from the EOC? Shouldnt they still be united. Do the anathemas apply to successive genereations?

The schism between EO and OO was not something that happened the day after Chalcedon was finished. Some Egyptian bishops accepted Chalcedon, some did not and communion did not immediately cease between the varying sides. At various times in the immediate decades afterwards there was sometimes one Patriarch of Alexandria (who might be Chalcedonian or might be non-Chalcedonian) and sometimes two, with the amount of time that there were two growing--with the duplication also spreading out to the other dioceses of the Church of Alexandria until eventually there were basically two separate synods and the schism settled in fully.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:50:09 AM »

The reason I ask is because I have read that the EOC claims 4 of the original 5 patriarchates (antioch, constantinople, alexandria and jerusalem). It seems you replaced the coptic and syrian patriarchs, but refuse to replace the Roman.

The schism between EO and OO did not ever consist of entire patriarchates leaving, the patriarchates of Antioch and Alexandria split into rival camps. This is quite different from Rome where the whole patriarchate did go into schism. We haven't, therefore, replaced any patriarchs, we've just always recognised different patriarchs as legitimate compared to the OOs.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Randa

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Non Sectarian

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »

This a great blog about Church of the East theology by an Antiochan Orthodox presbyter who used to be a member of the Church of the East:

http://www.eastmeetseastblog.blogspot.com/
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »

The EO response to Nestorianism: Nestorianism is a heresy. Nestorius and Theodore of Mopsuestia and those who follow them are heretics.

The OO response to Nestorianism: (#())@# Nestorianism is a heresy. @(@(#* Nestorius and #*&@*%($ Theodore of Mopsuestia and those who follow them, the $*&@&&$, are heretics, @(#*@ it.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »

It seems you replaced the coptic and syrian patriarchs
They weren't replaced; there was a split and the Chalcedonians chose their bishops and the non-Chalcedonians chose theirs.

Its as if you see the Catholic Church as being more valid than the Coptic. Or as if you group, Coptic, Nestorian and Arian together.
No, its just that there were no Orthodox bishops in post-1204 Rome to do it, afaik.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »

The EO response to Nestorianism: Nestorianism is a heresy. Nestorius and Theodore of Mopsuestia and those who follow them are heretics.

The OO response to Nestorianism: (#())@# Nestorianism is a heresy. @(@(#* Nestorius and #*&@*%($ Theodore of Mopsuestia and those who follow them, the $*&@&&$, are heretics, @(#*@ it.

This looks familiar ...

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »

There is no EO Patriarch of Rome for the same reason there is no OO Patriarch of Constantinople (or Rome).

There is an OO Patriarch of Constantinople (and Jerusalem) both Armenian.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:06:49 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

That would appear accurate to me.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 11:21:20 PM »

Cheesy

Seems about right.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:21:27 PM by Nephi » Logged
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:54 AM »

Okay, clarification, there is no EO Patriarch of Rome for the same reason there was no OO Patriarch of Constantinople until the the 15th century.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 03:20:03 AM »

Okay, clarification, there is no EO Patriarch of Rome for the same reason there was no OO Patriarch of Constantinople until the the 15th century.

Or There is no EO Patriarch of Rome for the same reason there is no Constantinopolitan OO Patriarch of Constantinople. Traditions of the Armenian are not the same as the traditions of the Constantinople.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: