OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:43:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stephen Colbert Tells Fordham Students: 'I Love My Church'  (Read 1683 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: September 17, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »

NEW YORK — In a rare public moment out of character, actor Stephen Colbert told students at the Jesuit Fordham University on Friday that he loves the Roman Catholic Church no matter its human flaws.

The host of "The Colbert Report" talked about his faith in a discussion on humor and spirituality with New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan and the Rev. James Martin, author of Between Heaven and Mirth and the official chaplain of Colbert's show.

Colbert, who has taught Sunday school classes to school-age children, said people in comedy often don't understand how he could remain Catholic. But he said he views the church as teaching joy, which he called the "infallible sign of the presence of God."

Have any Orthodox appeared on Colbert's show? I wonder.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:18:25 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

We should 'dox Colbert.  I love him.
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »

If there is a good book by an Orthodox writter that is targetted for a secular audience, they may get on his show.  He usually guests authors but of course given his very secular audience, he wouldn't really promote theology books.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »

If there is a good book by an Orthodox writter that is targetted for a secular audience, they may get on his show.  He usually guests authors but of course given his very secular audience, he wouldn't really promote theology books.

One could argue that Bart Ehrman's books are theology books, but an agnostic theology.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:13:36 PM »

Somehow I think Orthodoxy would be bad at converting secularists. Orthodoxy is focused on mystery and apophatic theology, which I think doesn't appeal to the reason-worshipping secularists.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:14:19 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »

Somehow I think Orthodoxy would be bad at converting secularists. Orthodoxy is focused on mystery and apophatic theology, which I think doesn't appeal to the reason-worshipping secularists.

We're not converting them, just Stephen Colbert Wink
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »

Why just one when we can convert them all? Cheesy

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »

Colbert is all that matters!  Grin
choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »

If Colbert converts and becomes hyperdox, Herman would lose his job Cheesy
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »

I respect him standing up for his faith in a time when that is unfashionable, and not doing to in a parody manner. 

But all the same.  I think his show sucks.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »

I respect him standing up for his faith in a time when that is unfashionable, and not doing to in a parody manner. 

But all the same.  I think his show sucks.
Yeah I've never liked Colbert either, but was rather shocked to see him as a devout RC.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 04:27:10 PM »

But I love how he subliminally catechizes his audience.  Often he will come in a tone as if mocking Christianity but in fact delivering theologically correct staments (per RC theology).

And one time he had this scientist who was talking about those particles that come in and out of existence.  He says that this proves that there is no God.  And Colbert ended the interview with, "so if these things come from nothing, and you say God does not exist, can something come from God?"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:27:22 PM by choy » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »

But I love how he subliminally catechizes his audience.  Often he will come in a tone as if mocking Christianity but in fact delivering theologically correct staments (per RC theology).

And one time he had this scientist who was talking about those particles that come in and out of existence.  He says that this proves that there is no God.  And Colbert ended the interview with, "so if these things come from nothing, and you say God does not exist, can something come from God?"
I seem to remember it a bit differently.

"so if these things come from nothing, and you say God is nothing, then these things come from God?"

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

I seem to remember it a bit differently.

"so if these things come from nothing, and you say God is nothing, then these things come from God?"

My memory is not the best, perhaps you may have remembered more accurately.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »

Baby steps.
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »

NT Wright was on Colbert promoting one of his books.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:07 PM »

While I am less enamored with his particular church, it is really good to see such a public figure actually standing up for his faith in neither a sarcastic or overbearing way. Mel Gibson could learn from this guy. Smiley

I have no opinion on his show, since I don't get cable, but when I was home visiting family last month I happened to turn on the TV one day and saw that he had banjo legend Pete Seeger (93 years old), performing a song to an audience I have to believe he was at least three times the age of on average, and I must say it was touching. If only the rest of the show were that high quality.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »

You can't have him. He's ours.  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »

That's fine. We have F. Murray Abraham.

F. Murray Abraham.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »

That's how to get his attention. Make Hyperdox Colbert go viral.

I'm going to need this.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58:27 PM »

I watched it a few times, far too liberal for me to take seriously. I do wonder how much in line with Catholic theology he is though.

Thank you.
choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »

I watched it a few times, far too liberal for me to take seriously. I do wonder how much in line with Catholic theology he is though.

Sometimes I do wonder myself.  But let us not forget that his show is on Comedy Central, not EWTN.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 08:28:14 PM »

He mocks pro-life politicians on his show.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »

Lot of hate on Colbert in this thread. No accounting for taste I suppose.  police
choy
Archon

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »

He mocks pro-life politicians on his show.

Sometimes they do deserve to be mocked.  Not because they are pro-life, but because a lot of conservative politicians in America act like Fundamentalists.  And I believe that this is not helping the worthy causes like Pro-Life and Pro-Marriage (I don't use "traditional marriage" because that implies there are other definitions of marriage).
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »

Lot of hate on Colbert in this thread. No accounting for taste I suppose.  police

I've stated my stance elsewhere.

One joke wonder. That is all.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »

I admit to enjoying Colbert very much.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 04:36:49 PM »

That's his "schtick" anyway, fooling everyone he's some type of "conservative" while actually mocking them with is "act".

You people need to get a clue.  Roll Eyes

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 08:01:30 AM »

That's how to get his attention. Make Hyperdox Colbert go viral.

No no, it's "Catholique Colbert".

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 08:03:34 AM »

Frankly, when I clicked on this thread, I wondered if the "I love my church" comment was going to be a lead-in to making fun of Catholicism. Glad to see it wasn't. Smiley

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »

Liver has taste, but I don't like it either.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »

You just haven't had the right type of liver yet.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
choy
Archon

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »

That's his "schtick" anyway, fooling everyone he's some type of "conservative" while actually mocking them with is "act".

Get a clue of what?  While Colbert is a proud Catholic, anyone expecting Catholic catechesis is on the wrong show and channel.  For me, it is good enough that he slyly dishes catechesis here and there to inform the willfully ignorant about Christian faith.  But don't expect this to be EWTN.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

This is the interview: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/415707/june-21-2012/lawrence-krauss

You're right. He does a good job at "mocking", but actually he's catechizing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:29:29 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »

Get a clue of what?  While Colbert is a proud Catholic, anyone expecting Catholic catechesis is on the wrong show and channel.  For me, it is good enough that he slyly dishes catechesis here and there to inform the willfully ignorant about Christian faith.  But don't expect this to be EWTN.
Colbert is to be taken more seriously than EWTN these days.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »

There are starving people in China, eat what we put on your plate!  Tongue
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »

This interview he did with a Satan apologist is one of my favorites:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/149094/february-11-2008/philip-zimbardo

Watch till the end!
choy
Archon

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 01:38:29 AM »

Another catechetical moment by Stephen Colbert with the creator of Breaking Bad  Wink
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 02:20:36 AM »

He let Adam off rather lightly, but nice indeed!

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
choy
Archon

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 02:47:59 AM »

This interview he did with a Satan apologist is one of my favorites:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/149094/february-11-2008/philip-zimbardo

Watch till the end!

Any link for us Canadians?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »

When asked by Oprah to talk about the "genius" that is his multiple personality approach to satire, a flattered Colbert assured her that although he has influenced both people and politics, that has never been his goal or intention. He mimics pundits like Bill O'Reilly because they often tell people what to think, and in the process he makes his audience think. He calls it "parody with a point," but admits that his real feelings aren't always so far away from those of the people he mocks:

"Sometimes I agree with my character, and it's important to me that the audience not know when that is," he said.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: