OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:37:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Blessings in Orthodoxy?  (Read 403 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »

In the Latin Church, 4 October is the Feast Day of St. Francis of Assisi, patron saint of animals and ecology. Some parishes bless the animals on or near this day:

At Franciscan churches, a friar with brown robe and white cord often welcomes each animal with a special prayer. As the prayer is offered, the pet is gently sprinkled with holy water. Believe it or not, most pets receive this sacramental spritz with dignity, though I must admit I have seen some cats flatten their ears a bit.

Do Orthodox have a saint who might be considered a patron saint of ecology, and do the Orthodox have any doctrinal or traditional hesitation to blessing animals?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:50:05 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »

We have everything blessed!  Ourselves, our homes, our cars and yes, our animals.

This usually occurs when the priest visits someone's house after Theophany with holy water.  He will bless the home and the people living in it, and then can wonder outside to the barns, the pastures, the fields, etc.

All of nature is created, loved and blessed by God.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

The Holy Martyr Mamas, Sept. 2

Prayers are read for animals on that day. And they can be blessed at any time. Cats, of course, may object to the liberal application of holy water.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »

St. Modestos, Dec. 16

I know several churches that have a pet blessing on this day. They make a big day of it, with animal adoptions and welfare organizations etc.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: