OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:32:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sarah Catt jailed for full-term abortion of baby  (Read 3565 times) Average Rating: 0
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

And you think all "Americans" have the same feelings and "cultural tendencies" (whatever that means)? And that you know what those are so you can claim a person's reaction is "predictably American"? Cos that sounds like regular old stereotyping and prejudice to me. And your defense of it above is kind of ridiculous. All it's helping me understand is that you think all Americans think and behave like 16-year-old internet children. Even if that's right (and I don't think it is), pointing that out doesn't help JamesR.

But if you think your own set of prejudices against Americans can help people better understand something other than your own biases, then by all means, continue posting...it seems rather uncharacteristic of your usual calls for respect and understanding, but I guess that call does not hold for Americans discussing other Americans, only Americans discussing foreign ideologies and people. Now that's predictable, but not of "Americans" as a thing, but of a certain mindset.

Dude, you read that so wrong.  You noticed I used inclusive words like ours, we, and us? I wasn't trying to be condescending, just honest.  As an American, that is my own personal assessment of American culture, and it is quite prevalent.  If you feel I am stereotyping Americans, I apologize, I don't feel that way.  I am talking about a cultural tendency towards instant-gratification, towards self-asserting thinking.  No, I don't think all Americans think like teenagers venting on the internet, but I do indeed think that a common theme of American culture is instant gratification. If anything, how you've just gotten all defensive as if my comments about American culture were directed at you personally is revealing to how this is a cultural trait of being American.  I wasn't necessarily talking about you in anyway, and yet you instantly inserted yourself into the equation and began a defensive argument with me. Further, this analysis somehow equates to intolerance or bigotry?  Interesting  angel

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I don't see you as intolerant or bigoted but have in fact spoken truth when it comes to American culture.  The Evidence is out there, just look at marketing of goods and services, fast food, convenient stores, and credit cards, etc. etc.  All geared to one thing instant gratification, get it now, buy buy buy culture, if something gets in the way of what you want dump it, that would include spouses, children, jobs, spiritual life, etc.   

Very sad way of life you have in America.....!

A friend of mine (Greek) said she lived in America for a couple of years, she said it is all work, work, work..... She couldn't wait to get back to Greece as she said Americans don't know how to enjoy life or the simple things.

Sad

The Greeks should be embarrassed to open their mouths in such a way.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2012, 07:43:13 PM »

Ah, yes, the American Workaholic syndrome. But she does have a valid point that many Americans miss the simple things and pleasures in life. We need to free ourselves from the mundanity of clockwork.

Be honest with yourselves, who truly wants to actually work?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »

Ah, yes, the American Workaholic syndrome. But she does have a valid point that many Americans miss the simple things and pleasures in life. We need to free ourselves from the mundanity of clockwork.

There are two choices:

1. Work less and have less; or
2. Work more and have more.

I would not criticise a person for choosing option no. 1, but the Greeks wish to have a third option: work less and have more.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »

There are two choices:

I would not criticise a person for choosing option no. 1, but the Greeks wish to have a third option: work less and have more.
And so does everyone else, if they were honest.

Truth be told, with techonology and automation, we should be working less and having more. Look at the overabundance of food we have, it's really marvelous.

The basic necessities of life should no longer require "work". We should be working towards more satisfying things, in art, science, etc.

BTW: My father, the hardest working American btw, worked countless hours but had much less than the beurocrats that ran things. Working more =/= having more.

I don't care if that ancedotal, and there are plenty of other people who can back me up.

EDIT 2: I've seen plenty of people work less, let alone being born into, and having much more than those that work the hardest. Such a cruel irony such is life.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:08:32 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »

There are two choices:

And so does everyone else, if they were honest.

Truth be told, with techonology and automation, we should be working less and having more. Look at the overabundance of food we have, it's really marvelous.

The basic necessities of life should no longer require "work". We should be working towards more satisfying things, in art, science, etc.

BTW: My father, the hardest working American btw, worked countless hours but had much less than the beurocrats that ran things. Working more =/= having more.

I don't care if that ancedotal, and there are plenty of other people who can back me up.

No, if you do not work, you die. That is a biological reality that appears increasingly more abstract because of the technological advances you mention.

I won't say more because I have already driven the thread off-topic.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »

If I was to make a new thread about it, would you contribute to it? I'm interested in how work is a biological reality. Perhaps this work you speak of needs a definition, because I see work in a different way.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

There are two choices:

That is not true, there are plenty of Americans who work harder and harder and yet never gain any traction, never "have more" and there are plenty of Americans who by comparison work much less and do indeed have much more.  I agree with several posters here, data shows that Americans on average work more hours daily and weekly than any other developed nation, and further, in our largely material society, Americans often work hard and long and yet have piles of material possessions, but do not have solidarity, community, and family.  We all seem to work hard, some of us to simply survive, others to stockpile possessions and the expense of spending time with their families and being involved in their communities.  This is a cultural matter, not a political or economic one.  It largely seems part of American culture to have this exaggerated work ethic, and to have this pride in materialism.  Even relatively humble Americans often equate an increase in possessions as being an increase in success.  I disagree with that mentality, I feel less is more and more is less, less stuff= more family, more community, more stuff=less community, less family.

Many middle class families work 40-50 hours a week, both parents, and associate with paying their bills for their middleclass lifestyle as being family.  Just paying the bills is indeed noble, and many poor folks work too hard and still can't even do that, but paying bills is not all there is too life, it is not all that is important in family.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2012, 09:58:39 PM »

Thank you Habte.

Life is not about bills. Amen.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2012, 12:12:19 AM »

There are two choices:

That is not true, there are plenty of Americans who work harder and harder and yet never gain any traction, never "have more" and there are plenty of Americans who by comparison work much less and do indeed have much more.  I agree with several posters here, data shows that Americans on average work more hours daily and weekly than any other developed nation, and further, in our largely material society, Americans often work hard and long and yet have piles of material possessions, but do not have solidarity, community, and family.  We all seem to work hard, some of us to simply survive, others to stockpile possessions and the expense of spending time with their families and being involved in their communities.  This is a cultural matter, not a political or economic one.  It largely seems part of American culture to have this exaggerated work ethic, and to have this pride in materialism.  Even relatively humble Americans often equate an increase in possessions as being an increase in success.  I disagree with that mentality, I feel less is more and more is less, less stuff= more family, more community, more stuff=less community, less family.

Many middle class families work 40-50 hours a week, both parents, and associate with paying their bills for their middleclass lifestyle as being family.  Just paying the bills is indeed noble, and many poor folks work too hard and still can't even do that, but paying bills is not all there is too life, it is not all that is important in family.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Habte, you seem to be saying that Americans work very hard and also have lots of material things. That is no different to what I am saying.

All I am saying is that, ceteris paribus, one obtains more material things by labouring -- one does not obtain material things through not labouring, except at the expense of someone else's labouring.

I would not dare to object to your statements regarding other things being more important than material things. I have not suggested otherwise. I don't know how my words could have been construed that way on any sensible construction.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2012, 05:58:59 AM »

Just a note:  our youngest was born at 36 weeks. My brothers were born at 28 weeks. A baby born at 36 weeks has an excellent chance of survival with spontaneous labor. I suspect there is more to this story. At 39 weeks, I wouldbet anything the baby was born alive, then killed.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 06:06:52 AM by Quinault » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: