OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 08:10:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic and Orthodox sacraments  (Read 421 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:54 AM »

Do the Catholics and the Orthodox have the same view of sacraments with receiving grace through them?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that the Roman Catholics believe our sacraments have grace but we're illicit or something to that effect.

Im actually not sure if there is a universal opinion from an Orthodox standpoint.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »

Do the Catholics and the Orthodox have the same view of sacraments with receiving grace through them?

Uh oh.  Grin

Depends on who you ask.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »

There is a huge difference between the Orthodox and the Latin understanding of what grace is. So I guess that they have a different understanding on the receiving of grace through the sacraments as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:24:34 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: