OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic and Orthodox sacraments  (Read 335 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:54 AM »

Do the Catholics and the Orthodox have the same view of sacraments with receiving grace through them?

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that the Roman Catholics believe our sacraments have grace but we're illicit or something to that effect.

Im actually not sure if there is a universal opinion from an Orthodox standpoint.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »

Do the Catholics and the Orthodox have the same view of sacraments with receiving grace through them?

Uh oh.  Grin

Depends on who you ask.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »

There is a huge difference between the Orthodox and the Latin understanding of what grace is. So I guess that they have a different understanding on the receiving of grace through the sacraments as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:24:34 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: