OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 12:41:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the big feast thing I am missing today?  (Read 499 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: September 16, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »

What is the big feast/festival/holiday/celebration thing I am missing today?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »

hehehe Anastasia my dear, Its the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross Smiley do not worry If I am not mistaken,there are two more major feast days coming up relating to the Holy Cross in the Armenian Church  Grin September 28 and October 26, may be you will get to celebrate those with the wonderful Armenians in the mean time light a candle and give thanks to the Lord so long as you have remembered you have not missed out angel

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:03:03 PM »

During the early seventh century, the Persians attacked Jerusalem, burned the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and stole the Holy Cross, bringing the Cross to Persia.  The Byzantine army attacked the Persians to get it back.  The Armenians joined the Byzantines in this endeavor, and it is my understanding that the Armenian cavalry played a very significant role in retrieving the Cross.

The Cross was then brought to Constantinople.  On the way there, it travelled through Armenia, being raised up and exalted wherever it went.  This was a very joyful and momentous occasion in the history of the Armenian people, and this is what is commemorated every year in the middle of September.

It is celebrated with "antasdan" prayers, in which the four corners of the earth are blessed.  A cross is decorated with sweet basil, which is blessed and distributed to the faithful after the service.

If you missed it, don't worry.  You can celebrate it next September, and every September to come for the rest of your life.   Smiley  For today, just say a prayer thanking God for taking one of the cruelest instruments of torture, the cross, and turning it into an instrument of life and joy.  That is what celebrating the Cross is really all about anyway.

As Hiwot said, there are a couple of more feasts of the Cross to come in the near future.  At the end of September is the Feast of the Holy Cross of Varak, and on October 28, it will be the Feast of the Discovery of the Holy Cross.

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »

Beautiful! thank you dear Salpy  , such beautiful tradition! and thank you for the correct dates of the feasts as well.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:28:37 AM »

Regarding the dates of feasts in the Armenian Church, most of them vary from year to year.  The rule for the Holy Cross of Varak, for example, is that it take place on the Sunday nearest to Sept. 28, two weeks after the Exaltation of the Holy Cross:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Holy_Cross_of_Varak

The Cross of Varak is a nice tradition.  That feast day is only found among the Armenians, and it is connected to the story of St. Hripsime (Arsema.)

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:29:58 AM »

Two years ago I was so lucky that I could go for the Armenian Liturgy for this feast.

Now thanks to Salpy, I know what's the name of these prayer in 4 corners Wink

I'm attaching a picture of this celebration taken by me. Don't be shocked by the look of the church - it's Ukrainian Greek Catholic and it was the first time they've borrowed it to Armenians for this feast
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:33:46 AM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:41:09 AM »

Thank you everyone for the info and encouragement, and for sharing that pretty picture.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Tags: Holy Cross Armenian Church OO calendars 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: