OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:14:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Young's Literal Translation  (Read 470 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »

Seen a few here quote from it in their sigs. That good eh? I really like the rendering of Genesis from what I read thus far, espcially the "fluttering" bit.

Anyone direct me to an amazon.com link that is worth my money?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:05 PM »

I have been rockin' the YLT for at least 4 years now.

I have the big white one:

http://www.amazon.com/Youngs-Literal-Translation-Bible-Robert/dp/0965307859/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346815899&sr=8-1&keywords=ylt

I fell in love with it after Genesis 1:1.

Its major downside is the rendering of the tetragrammaton as "Jehovah". I always change that when citing it.

It does not contain, however, to my knowledge, the barbarism "sexual immorality" in place of fornication.

Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:00:18 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »

Yeah his translation of Genesis sold me as well. Brilliant.

Thanks for the link. Ordered.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 12:14:13 AM »

That's great and all, but I saw the below in the 'what other customers bought' section, so I'm getting it instead:

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »

Is that a lesbian or a dude?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Seen a few here quote from it in their sigs. That good eh? I really like the rendering of Genesis from what I read thus far, espcially the "fluttering" bit.

Anyone direct me to an amazon.com link that is worth my money?

I read a Young's Literal from time to time, though I actually prefer this more obscure literal version from Arkansas.

The Concordant Literal New Testament"

I understand the King James and the New King James are accepted as valid English translations within Orthodox, and so I consult them for "authoritative" references, but for my own personal readings daily I use this version as I have for several years, it really sings to my heart. I understand that these series of "literal" translations which arose from the American seminaries emphasis on Greek and Hebrew studies in the mid-19th and early 20th centuries rely upon the same Greek manuscripts which were used by the King James Version.  I am a bit uncomfortable with the King James sometimes because it uses the more recent Jewish manuscripts rather then solely relying on the more accurate and ancient Septuagint versions, however I also understand that the translators aimed for a balance of the two using each other to explain the other mutually. 

We in Ethiopia have one of the oldest versions of the Bible, but however old the version may be, in whatever language it might be written, the Word remains one and the same. It transcends all boundaries of empires and all conceptions of race. It is eternal.
HIM Haile Selassie "the Bible" speech

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 03:58:06 AM »

Is that a lesbian or a dude?

Cheesy  Haven't a clue.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: