OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 09:54:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Episcopal Priest on Need to Reclaim Liberalism Within Biblical Christianity  (Read 540 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: September 15, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »

The Rev. John Liebler, an Episcopal priest, lost his faith in an ironic place: seminary. Studying for the priesthood in the late 1970s, Liebler was inundated with a theological liberalism that left him believing that Christianity, and all religion, was just a mirror we hold up to our own wishes rather than a window through which we see true spiritual realities. After a few years pastoring, he finally realized his spiritual emptiness.

We asked Liebler, who now leads St. Andrews Episcopal Church in Fort Pierce, Fla., about how he returned to faith, and why he believes orthodox Christians urgently need to reclaim liberalism.
Liebler: Whereas classical liberalism believed in opposing oppressive or illegitimate authority (such as the American colonists opposing the tyrannical rule of King George III), anti-Christian liberalism believes in the right to reject all authority. That means the Scriptures themselves began to be rejected as a form of authority.

This kind of thinking emerged out of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, as the universities digested the writings of Freud, Darwin, and Marx. It first influenced theological scholarship through higher criticism, which in turn infiltrated the seminaries. Theologians who followed this strand of thinking felt free, in a sense, to create their own theology apart from the Scriptures. That is what I encountered in seminary. In a sense, we were taught that it is okay to take the parts of the Scriptures we like, and leave the rest. The Scriptures are not the authority; we are.

This is the opposite of biblical liberalism which finds its very source and power in the fact that a Benevolent Authority who himself designed us with free will is the foundation of all real freedom and liberty, cares for the poor and oppressed, and calls us to be agents of liberation. He conveys these principles to us chiefly through the Scriptures.

I would add that Scripture-read-independent-of-Tradition is a step closer to the anti-Christian liberalism the author warns against.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »

The Rev. John Liebler, an Episcopal priest, lost his faith in an ironic place: seminary. Studying for the priesthood in the late 1970s, Liebler was inundated with a theological liberalism that left him believing that Christianity, and all religion, was just a mirror we hold up to our own wishes rather than a window through which we see true spiritual realities. After a few years pastoring, he finally realized his spiritual emptiness.

We asked Liebler, who now leads St. Andrews Episcopal Church in Fort Pierce, Fla., about how he returned to faith, and why he believes orthodox Christians urgently need to reclaim liberalism.
Liebler: Whereas classical liberalism believed in opposing oppressive or illegitimate authority (such as the American colonists opposing the tyrannical rule of King George III), anti-Christian liberalism believes in the right to reject all authority. That means the Scriptures themselves began to be rejected as a form of authority.

This kind of thinking emerged out of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, as the universities digested the writings of Freud, Darwin, and Marx. It first influenced theological scholarship through higher criticism, which in turn infiltrated the seminaries. Theologians who followed this strand of thinking felt free, in a sense, to create their own theology apart from the Scriptures. That is what I encountered in seminary. In a sense, we were taught that it is okay to take the parts of the Scriptures we like, and leave the rest. The Scriptures are not the authority; we are.

This is the opposite of biblical liberalism which finds its very source and power in the fact that a Benevolent Authority who himself designed us with free will is the foundation of all real freedom and liberty, cares for the poor and oppressed, and calls us to be agents of liberation. He conveys these principles to us chiefly through the Scriptures.

I would add that Scripture-read-independent-of-Tradition is a step closer to the anti-Christian liberalism the author warns against.

Indeed. Good point.

In addition, this quote is problematic:
The Scriptures are not the authority; we are.

Thus, each Protestant can believe themselves to be an infallible Pope.

The opposite thinking that Scriptures is the only authority is held by fundamental Protestants, but they are likewise in error as they reject the Church, which gave us the Holy Bible.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:04:10 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Aaron M

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: nothing

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »

And of course, the billion-dollar question to follow up your addition is "which Tradition"?  (Like how that was capitalized, but it highlights the confusion of where authority lies, if it must somehow be outside of the Scriptures, but must be more discernible than just "Jesus Christ/God".)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:23:41 AM by Aaron M » Logged
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »

And of course, the billion-dollar question to follow up your addition is "which Tradition"?  (Like how that was capitalized, but it highlights the confusion of where authority lies, if it must somehow be outside of the Scriptures, but must be more discernible than just "Jesus Christ/God".)

The one that comes down from the Apostles.

"Well, which one is that?"

I think it's the Orthodox one. But I wouldn't expect you to take my word for it. One thing's for sure, though: If the Scriptures were intended to be used as Protestants used them, they were designed pretty terribly.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »

I can already see the multitudes that will sing in praises of this false doctrine.  Sadly, our society likes things that sound smart instead of things that contain actual wisdom.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:34:51 AM »

Nice sounding words, but this seems like a case where actions speak louder (more loudly?). I refer to the fact that, when he "returned to faith" he returned to the Episcopal Church USA -- which together with the Anglican Church of Canada make up the most radically liberal 5% of the Anglican Communion.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: