OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:55:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Usage of the chotki  (Read 734 times) Average Rating: 0
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: September 14, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »

I got a question concerning the usage of the Chotki. From what i understand one is not supposed to use it at church or in public.
But at home. Close to where i live we have a beautiful lake where i spend a lot of time walking, praying and just thinking. Often at night.

I cannot imagine anything better than staring at the stars in the dark. Is it fine then to pray the chotki in all peacefullness there alone or
is it a bad thing?

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:17:26 PM »

I got a question concerning the usage of the Chotki. From what i understand one is not supposed to use it at church or in public.
But at home. Close to where i live we have a beautiful lake where i spend a lot of time walking, praying and just thinking. Often at night.

I cannot imagine anything better than staring at the stars in the dark. Is it fine then to pray the chotki in all peacefullness there alone or
is it a bad thing?

The best place to pray is where you will be the least distracted. If you find the place by the lake to be conducive to prayer, that is a good place. You can look at the stars, the lake, etc., and "warm the heart" by reflecting on the beauty of God's creation. Once you begin the prayer, though, you turn your gaze inward and concentrate only on the prayer.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »

is it a bad thing?

The prayer rope could be used anywhere, I don't think there is any restriction. We must remain modest though. Busting out your 150 knot prayer rope in public may be a little attention seeking. I think this is where buying those little prayer ropes that fit on your wrist are good. They are pretty common in Greece and here in the US. They can be concealed beneath a long-sleeve shirt or easily fit into your pocket. They aren't big enough to draw attention, just don't make it obvious what you're doing. Again, it comes down to humility & modesty.
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:49:34 AM »

I will indeed use it with care, respect, love, humbleness and modesty. At this time of the year, it is quiet down with that lake and many spots where you can be alone with the Lord in your prayers. Smiley

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »

Chotki should not be used during a church service, as the prayers and hymns of that service are what we should be praying at that time. OTOH, praying by the lake is a wonderful and edifying idea!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »

Chotki should not be used during a church service, as the prayers and hymns of that service are what we should be praying at that time.

Actually, several saints (e.g. St. Ignatii Brianchaninov) say that praying the Jesus Prayer during services can actually help us concentrate on the services better, especially when the services are very long. But for a beginner it would probably be best to just try and listen to the services first.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:13:18 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 06:26:44 AM »

Actually, several saints (e.g. St. Ignatii Brianchaninov) say that praying the Jesus Prayer during services can actually help us concentrate on the services better, especially when the services are very long.

I certainly find that using a komboschini during services often helps me focus, not just on prayer in general, but on the words being said. I know many priests who use one while serving the Liturgy, so it needn't be an either or thing.

Also, many of us attend parishes where large parts of the services are in a language we don't understand. Sometimes the music in some churches even makes it difficult to understand things sung in a language you do speak. This is not a problem when it comes to the fixed parts of the service, but during the variable stuff a komboschini can be a great help in preventing you from drifting off.
Tags: chotki Jesus Prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: