OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to Confession?  (Read 1119 times) Average Rating: 0
Russkie

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: St. Nicholas Orthodox Church

« on: September 14, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »

I was baptized into Russian Orthodoxy when I was little.  But for one reason or another my parents stopped attending, which I think simply because of laziness.  As a chain reaction,  I followed suit regrettably in my early teen years.  Now I'm 25,  I have control of my own life, and I want to transition back.  I attended the Hours and Divine Liturgy at the parish when I attended many years ago, the rector asked if this was my first time here even.  I know all the protocols and procedures that are followed.  I grabbed the parish schedule and saw that Confessions are coming up.

At this point,  should I make a slow transition of attending the Sunday Services or should I attend Confessions before Sunday Service?  Keep in mind I attended infrequently other orthodox parishes during that time period in Russia on my own.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »

Why not go to confession?

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Russkie

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:51:22 PM »

How do I explain to the rector, that I haven't been to his parish for so long that he doesn't even recognize me.
At this point, he thinks I'm a inquirer.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »

How do I explain to the rector, that I haven't been to his parish for so long that he doesn't even recognize me.

tell him exactly what you told us.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Start with something like, "Bless me please Father for I have sinned.. is been such-and-such since my last confession and in that time.." and then unburden your heart from there.  Of course, I would suggest this, perhaps it would we best to develop a personal relationship with your Confessor before confessing? That way you have a sense of trust and boundaries.  The Catholic pseudo-anonymous confession has its perks, but the intimacy of the Father-Confessor relationship in the Orthodox Church is a bit more rounded in approach.  Our spiritual fathers are indeed our true therapists, who use the spiritual medicine of the Divine Mysteries to heal our inward wounds. However, as with all therapy, you have to implicitly trust and understand the doctor in the first place and further it is often best if they know us across a long arc to better understand the nuances of our individual situatons Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selasse
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:19:47 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Russkie

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »

Of course, I would suggest this, perhaps it would we best to develop a personal relationship with your Confessor before confessing?

Thats what I meant to ask.  It would be unusual to go confessions without any relationship.
Pan Michał
Elder

Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »

+1
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 06:24:11 PM »

Agreed.  Not only will his questions be answered, but he can answer your questions and provide any guidance you want or need.  The first thing I did before attending my parish was meet the priest and explain where I came from and why I was there.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Of course, I would suggest this, perhaps it would we best to develop a personal relationship with your Confessor before confessing?

Thats what I meant to ask.  It would be unusual to go confessions without any relationship.

Not necessarily but permitting that he has the time the priest would probably suggest at the least that y'all have some lunch or coffee afterwards Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 07:11:25 PM »

Why do you need to develop a relationship with the priest before going to Confession?

You aren't confessing to him, but, to God.

I often go to Confession with priests I have never met.

It's good to get "know" your parish priest, but I hardly think it needs to be a prerequisite to confessing your sins.

I suggest you attend Vespers, go to Confession and afterward perhaps have a short chat with the priest.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »

Why do you need to develop a relationship with the priest before going to Confession?

You aren't confessing to him, but, to God.

I often go to Confession with priests I have never met.

It's good to get "know" your parish priest, but I hardly think it needs to be a prerequisite to confessing your sins.

I suggest you attend Vespers, go to Confession and afterward perhaps have a short chat with the priest.

Each case is specific, but since he has been absent from church for so long, it would be beneficial to both the priest and him to talk before the first confession, of for no other reason to ensure he is properly prepared for confession.
Green_Umbrella

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »

A perfect answer.
Russkie

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 11:09:48 PM »

Halleluja!  He remembered me and my father,  its been nearly a decade. And he was truly happy that I decided to come back.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »

Wonderful!  I'm glad you were able to reconnect!
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »

Excellent news!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 12:25:02 AM »

Halleluja!  He remembered me and my father,  its been nearly a decade. And he was truly happy that I decided to come back.

That's great! Smiley

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Pan Michał
Elder

Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 05:12:24 AM »

Good to hear/read it Smiley
elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 07:49:55 AM »

Glory be to God!
WPM
Archon

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »

I can go to confession twice a year and I'm fine.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »

What?

How do you remember to mention all 6 months worth of sins?

Besides, aren't we taught to Confess our sins no less than four times a year?

—St. Isaac of Syria
WPM
Archon

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »

What?

If you want sacramental confession 4 times a year that's fine but the minimum is meeting with your priest of choice at least 2-3 times each calendar year.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »

Quote from: HabteSelassie  link=topic=46967.msg806370#msg806370 date=1347657537

Thats what I meant to ask.  It would be unusual to go confessions without any relationship.

The priest is also your spiritual physician who is there to help you through your tough times of combating temptation.  This spiritual relationship with the priest is very useful in that he will become familiar with those sins you are having a tough time overcoming.  Hopefully, this relationship will enhance your communion with a Christlike life and free yourself of the illness of sin itself.  A priest who has been a priest for a number of years has heard it all.   Im sure being away from the sacraments will not be a shocking experience for a priest to hear.  What is important is REPENTANCE.  That is, the willingness not to repeat that sin again.  We all fall down, it is the getting up that is important.  Always keep your confessor close to you spritirually and you will find peace.

(PS) Frequent confession is essential, at least once a month.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:08:30 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »

What?

If you want sacramental confession 4 times a year that's fine but the minimum is meeting with your priest of choice at least 2-3 times each calendar year.

I'm confused as to what you are saying above.  So, four times for the Sacrament of Confession, if you want.  However, you must meet with your priest 2-3 times a year for non-sacramental confession?  what's that?  You meet over coffee at Starbuck's?

—St. Isaac of Syria
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

In the Russian tradition confession is part of the prepartion for communion. That means going at least every other week at a minium if you receieve. I don't think that would be any different in a Western Rite ROCOR parish.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »

In the Russian tradition confession is part of the prepartion for communion. That means going at least every other week at a minium if you receieve. I don't think that would be any different in a Western Rite ROCOR parish.

I bet if you would randomly take a poll of the average person on the street and asked them " Do you commit sin every day?" I would  hazard a guess that they would say no.  Today we are having a hard time recognizing sin when it is committed.  Some folks would say they never sin.  But as Orthodox Christians we know we sin every day and we need frequent confession.   Cool
WPM
Archon

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:02 PM »

What?

I'm confused as to what you are saying above.  So, four times for the Sacrament of Confession, if you want.  However, you must meet with your priest 2-3 times a year for non-sacramental confession?  what's that?  You meet over coffee at Starbuck's?

Starbucks? I guess u could  -{internet cafe}- . Most priests I know are too busy to socialize.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:04:43 PM by WPM » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 11:28:11 PM »

I bet if you would randomly take a poll of the average person on the street and asked them " Do you commit sin every day?" I would  hazard a guess that they would say no.  Today we are having a hard time recognizing sin when it is committed.  Some folks would say they never sin.
There is so much painful truth in what you state.  Many people are no longer clear as to what is sinful.  Everything has been whitewashed to a point too much is no longer recognized as wrong and sinful.  It's sad to see so many people endulge in things without that understanding.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: