OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 06:53:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a catechumen confess his sin to a priest?  (Read 656 times) Average Rating: 0
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: September 14, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »

I Know it sounds strange, but it is more behind the question. Recently, i began my catechumenate (8.31) and are in a phase of reading, praying and slowly trying to adapt to the new life and times.

My question is: i realize that a catechumen cannot make confession (before taking communion), but can i for example have a much like conversation with a priest (if i need spiritual guidances, help and hope). Before i was a RC and it is now almost a half year since last confession. Some of you can perhaps imagine what that is like?

I try everyday to pray morning/eve, read the scriptures and do as best a human being living a christian life. But sometimes you fall, becomes
real scared and realize that you need a push. That time is now. Some of you must think i am fool, but it is better to be honest and clean if you wish to grow spiritually wise.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »

can i for example have a much like conversation with a priest (if i need spiritual guidances, help and hope)
I dont see why not. I'd ask your priest. However I doubt he'd not want to give you spiritual guidance.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

Dear Tommelomsky,

I can understand your desire to unburden your soul and agree this would be a good thing to do.  Just because your priest may not offer sacramental absolution doesn't mean he can't hear your sins and offer you guidance.   And of course your request for help will be heard in Heaven!

Perhaps you can make an appointment with your priest so you can have a little uninterrupted time?  

Love, elephant
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »

Hi elephant

Thank you for your kind response. Our priest if often a very busy man, so he has a contact person, that many requests goes through.
But have made contact to make an appointment as i need to get some off my chest (we are all a product of Adams fall in paradise..)
so what better place would it be, go to visit the hospital for sinners?

It would have been so good if this was possible.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »

AFAIK catechumens can't be absolved but otherwise go ahead. Smiley
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:39:14 PM »

That part i understand, but thank you (and i pray for him to have some time for me).

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

Yes. Your priest may want to keep it rather informal. He will want to understand your spiritual state as you move towards becoming Orthodox. The time may come when he will want you to take it more formally. Just this past Sunday, I noticed a catechumen giving his confession to my priest in the same manner as an Orthodox Christian would, kneeling/standing before the icon of Christ. There was no absolution and of course, I have no idea what was being said by either man. I think it's a good practice to get into. I wish the priest who received me had trained me a little more on that. I'm still finding it hard to make it a regular habit.
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »

A broken and a humbled heart God will not despise... angel
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »

I am prepared to take what steps it takes to live a life as fully as possible as a christian. So if he wants me to confess like the others do, it is fine. I have seen it many times before liturgy, but have no idea if you have to recite the entire psalm 51 first or how the way of the confession is.  But willing to do it? Indeed, i am.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »

And patience is indeed a virtue. One month has passed and i still have not got the chance to talk to the priest.
Services, studying, praying and psalms 50+51 is all i got for the current time being.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Green_Umbrella

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »

I try everyday to pray morning/eve, read the scriptures and do as best a human being living a christian life. But sometimes you fall, becomes
real scared and realize that you need a push. That time is now. Some of you must think i am fool, but it is better to be honest and clean if you wish to grow spiritually wise.

Do not try to be perfect. You are not perfect. You are not going to be perfect. Christ did not die on the cross for perfect people. You will fall. Over and over and over again. It is what you do after you fall that matters. But perfection is not going to happen. Do not even start beating yourself up in this. It is not what you do so much as what you are trying to do. 
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:05:28 PM »

I am not perfect and will never be. But i hope at least to improve from my mistakes-sins and try avoiding the worst of them and not to repeat them (or at least...improve somehow).

Sorry if i made this sound bad, im just in a state of hurt and it reflects my writing and being right now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:06:18 PM by Tommelomsky » Logged

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Green_Umbrella

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »

I am not perfect and will never be. But i hope at least to improve from my mistakes-sins and try avoiding the worst of them and not to repeat them (or at least...improve somehow).

I think that is as much as a person can ask from anyone. God knows honest effort.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 04:14:47 AM »

i confessed loads before i was orthodox, but i was in a church of only about 60 people at the time (much bigger now and there are 2 priests) and the priest was very approachable.
i suggest you speak to a mature man in the church, maybe a deacon or someone who smiles at you after liturgy or someone who talks to you at coffee afterwards and who looks humble (ask God to help you with this one, i can't train you via the internet on how to recognise a humble man!) i say man, because i assume you are a man from yr avatar, and i think it's usually good to speak to someone the same gender if you are going deep and personal.
you don't have to 'confess sins', but ask if you can ask him some questions about the church and take it from there.
look for someone who can give you general advice in your spiritual life.

then, if you find someone really approachable who you can trust (give it a few meetings to decide), then you can ask for advice about how to get hold of the priest to talk about sins.
may God guide you and take care of all your needs - He knows what they are and understands your weakness.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 05:04:21 AM »

If it helps, I didn't until after Chrismation.  My priest seemed to want to ensure I made it through first and then to ensure I did confession properly.
Tommelomsky
Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 05:39:01 AM »

If it helps, I didn't until after Chrismation.  My priest seemed to want to ensure I made it through first and then to ensure I did confession properly.

Yes, this is why a non-christian friend (a very wise one) keeps telling me that i should wait, until i`m further into the process and well..just praying and using psalms 50 or 51 and just tell God thing`s the way it is.

It may sound stupid, but rushing things is not an option either.

To all: thanks so much for your advices. It might be a perfect reason why this happens.

Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: