OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 12:05:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How would a Muslim answer this passage from the NT?  (Read 542 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« on: September 14, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »

Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would knowb my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:16:52 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »

Do you want the poll removed?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »

Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would knowb my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

( Please ignore the voting window )

Almost certainly how they usually answer just about anything in the NT (except when they believe they can read a prophecy of Mohammed into it) - tell you that this is because we rely on a corrupt version of the scriptures altered by man, not the 'original' Injil given to Christ. I certainly wouldn't expect any rational discussion of the meaning of the passage from an Islamic point of view.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »

Yes, Please
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »

Yes, Please

You should be all set.  For future reference i think you could have dine it yourself via the tabs at the bottom of the page.  Thats how i did it.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

Do you want only Orthodox Christian to speculate about that or would you like some Muslims answered your question (if they appeared)?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »

I think this is an ironic question. Ask Jews about the same passage. Neither the Jews nor the Muslims hold the Christian New Testament as holy scripture. To the Jews we are a breakout sect which followed a false messiah (or a prophet at best) so they dont have any regard for the NT.
To the Muslims, we were led astray by the Apostles and their descendants. Our holy books are seen as having been corrupted by the followers of Jesus. They have little regard for the NT because they believe it is corrupted.

It's kind of like quoting to an atheist the passage in the Psalms that says "The fool hath said in his heart there is no God..." when the atheist doesn't care about what the Bible says.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »

I think this is an ironic question. Ask Jews about the same passage. Neither the Jews nor the Muslims hold the Christian New Testament as holy scripture. To the Jews we are a breakout sect which followed a false messiah (or a prophet at best) so they dont have any regard for the NT.
To the Muslims, we were led astray by the Apostles and their descendants. Our holy books are seen as having been corrupted by the followers of Jesus. They have little regard for the NT because they believe it is corrupted.

It's kind of like quoting to an atheist the passage in the Psalms that says "The fool hath said in his heart there is no God..." when the atheist doesn't care about what the Bible says.

I'd like to ask them why would the Apostles do that ?
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »

Do you want only Orthodox Christian to speculate about that or would you like some Muslims answered your question (if they appeared)?

I think this question should be open to anyone who has a good answer....

Our argument:  Why would God waste His time becoming flesh for the redemption of mankind and then suddenly have a change of heart with this new religion on the block?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:51:17 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »

Our argument:  Why would God waste His time becoming flesh for the redemption of mankind and then suddenly have a change of heart with this new religion on the block?

What kind of argument is that to anyone who doesn't believe God did become flesh for the redemption of mankind?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 04:04:14 AM »

All this talk of Muslims thinking that the New Testament is corrupted is a bit off; really, the think Jesus wrote his own prophetic book, which has since been lost.  Regardless though, they definitely do not accept that the NT is in any way divinely inspired.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

Either they would try to same the same thing about Muhammad (which is hilerious) or they will simply say its corrupt. That right there is the basics of Muslims reading of the new testament.

Thank you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: