OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another quick chrysmation Q  (Read 443 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: September 14, 2012, 10:55:31 AM »

My priest is looking up if I need a godfather because it has been a while and I am getting chrysmated but not baptized. Does anyone happen to know this so I can find out before I get a chance to talk to him again?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »

Yes, you have a sponsor (godfather or godmother) when you are received into the Church by chrismation.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:44:15 AM »

Yes, you have a sponsor (godfather or godmother) when you are received into the Church by chrismation.
Just one?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »

She's converting to the Armenian Church. I'd refrain myself from posting such opinions from the EO perspective.

From the EO perspective I was told (by a person who is supposed to have great knowledge about Orthodoxy, especially in the Caucasus) that Armenians do not accept converts at all.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:46:35 AM »

I believe the specifics are up to your Bishop.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »

She's converting to the Armenian Church. I'd refrain myself from posting such opinions from the EO perspective.

From the EO perspective I was told (by a person who is supposed to have great knowledge about Orthodoxy, especially in the Caucasus) that Armenians do not accept converts at all.

What I posted is true of Armenians in the US. Not sure where the OP is located.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 09:37:19 AM »

Just one?

The ancient tradition is only one. Various practices have sprung up now and again in various areas.

Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:56:11 AM »

Absolutely not true. It's uncommon to have converts (aside from people marrying into the church) but not unheard of, nor prohibited.

The rubrics of the services of Baptism and Chrismation specify a Godfather alone, but common practice is to have a Godmother as well, it's completely acceptable.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: