OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 06:40:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stand in unity with our Coptic Brothers and Sisters in Egypt  (Read 763 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« on: September 14, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »

Like many of us, I have been watching the events of the last few days taking place in the mideast with horror and fascination. I have given this a great deal of thought and prayer and I want to express a few non-political ideas that I believe that all of us who are Orthodox Christians should support in a show of solidarity with the Coptic Christians of Egypt and across the world.

It now appears that one of the principals of the recently posted, amateurish 'movie' on Youtube is a man who claims some degree of allegience to the Coptic Orthodox Church in California. His Bishop, +Seraphim (Boules) of Los Angeles,  had these profound comments regarding this man: "A good Christian would not do that," Boules said, sitting on a pew in St. Mary and St. Verena along La Palma Avenue. "He may very well turn out to be a Coptic Orthodox person, but I assure you, it would be in name only." "Christians don't do that," he said. "It sounds to me like this person should be sitting in the confession chair, not the director chair."  http://www.ocregister.com/news/coptic-371309-christians-boules.html

Like many of us, we fear that mindless violence may now engulf the Copts. This can not be allowed to take place as a genocide along the lines of the most horrific in history may ensure.

I urge all of us to condemn the hate mongerers and those who preach violence in the name of our Lord as the only solution to our problems. Write your Bishops, contact you pastors, your members of Congress, the Senate, the President and the candidates for these offices and prayerfully urge them to stand in support of the Christians of Egypt today and in the future.

I understand that some of you will have a more politically motivated or harsher opinion on this entire matter, but in the sake of showing a common front, I urge you to take those concerns to the private boards and not post them in response.

May the Pokrov - the Holy Mantle and protection of the most Blessed Birthgiver and Theotokas - protect our OO and EO brothers and sisters in the mideast (for that matter all Christians living there) as she protected the faithful at Blachernae church in Constantinople in the tenth century.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

It is very upsetting that indeed a Coptic Christian brother seems to be behind this scandal.  What is worse, more than like he just may attend my local Coptic parish Sad

I stand with His Grace Bishop Markos and His Grace Bishop Seraphim in denouncing violence, in denouncing this video, in denouncing divisions between our brothers and sisters of all peoples and faiths.  We need to demonstrate the depth and sincerity of our Faith and Love.  The Martyrs didn't necessarily give their lives on the battlefield, rather, in shedding their blood out of the sacrifice of human love and dignity of Faith, they showed love is the answer.  Fighting only begets more fighting, and sheds blood for the sake of violence.  The Martyrs demonstrate the power of faith and love cooperating together with the Synergy of Grace.  We need to fight these battles internally, through prayer, and exorcise the demons which are haunting our communities an inciting us towards war.  Only the devil wins in wars, because bodies pile up and hate burns strong in men's heart. 

Let us follow the example set by our passed father Pope Shenouda III who was about community first, and religious distinctions second.  Let us with a sensible head and Christian heart demonstrate to our enemies that fear will not provoke us towards self-destruction.  The Devil WANTS us to jump off that cliff.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 03:18:23 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

It is very upsetting that indeed a Coptic Christian brother seems to be behind this scandal.  What is worse, more than like he just may attend my local Coptic parish Sad

Please, please, please stay safe and be very careful. They murdered an ambassador and some of his staff, what might they do to that parish? You might want to stick with your Ethiopian parish for a while.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:18:56 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:23:32 PM »

It is very upsetting that indeed a Coptic Christian brother seems to be behind this scandal.  What is worse, more than like he just may attend my local Coptic parish Sad

Please, please, please stay safe and be very careful. They murdered an ambassador and some of his staff, what might they do to that parish? You might want to stick with your Ethiopian parish for a while.

I think you misunderstand, that video was made here in Los Angeles, and we are a bit far from Libya.  Further, I wouldn't be surprised of local politics played a critical role in the assassinations, after all, there weren't exactly such attacks at other embassies outside of Egypt and Libya.. Hmm..  A bit convenient if you ask me? Oh yeah, there were attacks in Yemen too, but considering that the US government continually launched military strikes in that country, it doesn't surprise me that folks there might be a bit less than happy with Americans at the moment Sad 

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:26:21 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »

I think you misunderstand, that video was made here in Los Angeles, and we are a bit far from Libya.  Further, I wouldn't be surprised of local politics played a critical role in the assassinations, after all, there weren't exactly such attacks at other embassies outside of Egypt and Libya.. Hmm..  A bit convenient if you ask me? Oh yeah, there were attacks in Yemen too, but considering that the US government continually launched military strikes in that country, it doesn't surprise me that folks there might be a bit less than happy with Americans at the moment Sad 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

A muslim fundamentalist murdered a cineast on the streets of the Netherlands not too long ago. It can happen everywhere. Just stay safe if the rumor is true.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:31:25 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »

Lord have mercy. It is shameful that a Coptic Christian of ANY kind would be involved in such a production (it is, in addition, a terrible piece of "film-making", if you could even call it that...offensive on every level). Our brothers and sisters are killed and oppressed in Egypt, and in the diaspora some are so enamored of their freedoms that their own families in the homeland don't have that they visit calamity upon their people without regret, so that they can make a stupid movie. It boggles the mind. There are other, not-stupid ways to make the point that Islam has brought ruin upon the world (which it has, but all this does is bring more violence in its name).

Lord protect your people in Egypt. You blessed the land and its people; You gave Simon the Tanner the power to move the Mountain of Moqattam in order to advert disaster looming over your people. Do not now overlook them.

I would like to see a fast to advert this violence, as was called after the tragedy of Maspero.

HG's comments are spot on.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:32:15 PM by dzheremi » Logged

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »

Lord have mercy. It is shameful that a Coptic Christian of ANY kind would be involved in such a production (it is, in addition, a terrible piece of "film-making", if you could even call it that...offensive on every level). Our brothers and sisters are killed and oppressed in Egypt, and in the diaspora some are so enamored of their freedoms that their own families in the homeland don't have that they visit calamity upon their people without regret, so that they can make a stupid movie. It boggles the mind. There are other, not-stupid ways to make the point that Islam has brought ruin upon the world (which it has, but all this does is bring more violence in its name).

Lord protect your people in Egypt. You blessed the land and its people; You gave Simon the Tanner the power to move the Mountain of Moqattam in order to advert disaster looming over your people. Do not now overlook them.

I would like to see a fast to advert this violence, as was called after the tragedy of Maspero.

HG's comments are spot on.

Excellent point.  At this time let us add to our pray list the reality that this video alone couldn't provoke such international hostilities and anger, rather, many aspects of our foreign policy have seriously endangered our interests across the world. Simply put, many people hate our guts, and our religious affiliation is only part of their gripe, they have other legitimate grievances like the international war crimes western powers commit every single day in several places simultaneously Sad  We need than not to get involved in the political process or have an arm-wrangling political debate about these policies, that is for a private forum, rather we need to acknowledge that right or wrong (again we can debate that elsewhere in private) our actions have many consequences around the world, and we need God's Grace all the more to help us.

It is very upsetting that indeed a Coptic Christian brother seems to be behind this scandal.  What is worse, more than like he just may attend my local Coptic parish Sad

I think you misunderstand, that video was made here in Los Angeles, and we are a bit far from Libya.  Further, I wouldn't be surprised of local politics played a critical role in the assassinations, after all, there weren't exactly such attacks at other embassies outside of Egypt and Libya.. Hmm..  A bit convenient if you ask me? Oh yeah, there were attacks in Yemen too, but considering that the US government continually launched military strikes in that country, it doesn't surprise me that folks there might be a bit less than happy with Americans at the moment Sad  

stay blessed,
habte selassie

A muslim fundamentalist murdered a cineast on the streets of the Netherlands not too long ago. It can happen everywhere.

Agreed, and after the Christmas bombings in Alexandria the FBI had our local Coptic parishes under direction protection for several weeks.  We are very familiar with the details of how these things occur, however, I think FAITH and not fear is most appropriate in these circumstances.  Let me be frank, here in Los Angeles we have A LOT of lowlife murderers and thugs to worry about, some of them even work for the police departments (!!), and so radical extremist Muslim jihadists must rank somewhere around 34 on my list of daily threats to Angelinos like myself, just somewhere in between the Pueblo Bloods (who murdered a neighborhood kid near my own Ethiopian parish last year) and the Inglewood Police Department (who shoot and kill between 1-15 unarmed people annually) Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:40:03 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »

I would think the air quality is a bigger danger to life in L.A. than most other things...though there are a lot of things that can get you out there. Remember this "Life in Hell" comic?

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »

Haha.. my favorite risk on that list? SUCCESS!! Haha! Whatever your persuasion, success indeed is one of the leading causes of death in Los Angeles, right up there with failure Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »

I honestly don't believe ANY Copt would even have the capacity to make such a film. I honestly think the director is lying when he said that he was a Copt. But that's just my opinion.

The whole situation in general is just depressing and at the same time, not surprising to me at all. It's just shameful that the Coptic church as a whole is so far getting a negative light in the Western media due to one director making the film and claiming to be a Copt.  Sad

Lord have mercy on Copts, and everyone in general.

- Jade

P.S. Side note: What really sucks is that I witnessed a Copt on Tumblr commit apostasy over the whole thing.  Sad

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »

I'm just glad people don't react in the very way they are depicted...oh, wait! Huh
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »

I'm just glad people don't react in the very way they are depicted...oh, wait! Huh

That is not a fair analysis.  After all,the way the US and their respective local government tends to react (drone strikes, forward and covert military operations)to their silly fundamentalist, bigoted movies on youtube is similarly debased and inherently provocative.  This is why the situation is far more complicated  then just this unfortunate film, and it is not the film alone that has provoked this violence, but the culmination of several years of various political and economic circumstances on the ground in those countries and cities.  To say, "One thing or another is the cause of this" is a bit naive and even dangerous.  With such circumstances, we must rely upon prayer above all else for the Holy Spirit to help us understand the depth of God's will in these situations.  

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:35:12 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

have you guys seen the film? i have not, dont think its available and if it is i dont think i want to see it. But could you tell me what its abt...just making fun of alla?

and with that said does it justify the deaths and violent protests out there, what about freedom of speech. it might not be nice to trash someones religion but its not against the law. i can say i have seen many nasty comments cartoons skits that are targeted at Christians making fun of Jesus, but i did not feel the need to go out and kill people. I did not like it, it was discusting, but it was within the law of freedom of speech.

Ber in mind I'm talking but have NOT seen this movie or know what its abt. so could i be off?

On topic, yes all Christians should pray and support the Copts in every way we can.

oh heck it such a confusing world today:
you can make fun of Cristian's Jesus but dont mess with the Muslims Mohamed.
you can air your prejudices against Greeks but dont you dare do it towards African Americans.
certain things are free game and others.......not so much.
I'm for equality ACROSS THE BOARD! not just for certain socially accepted chosen ones
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »

have you guys seen the film? i have not, dont think its available and if it is i dont think i want to see it. But could you tell me what its abt...just making fun of alla?

and with that said does it justify the deaths and violent protests out there,

No it doesn't and further is obviously is not the sole reason for violence and protests (many have been peaceful in fact including initially in Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia) there are many complicated local, regional, international, cultural, political, and economic factors which all culminate together.  Things like this video only become symbols and effigies of the overall problems. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »

Humm, sounds like  this was acommin anyway and the movie is a perfect excuse, something to be used as justification for their actions, maybe?
better stop posten before i say something im gona regret....again.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 10:54:17 PM »

That is not a fair analysis.  (content removed for space)

stay blessed,
habte selassie
It certainly is due to the same reaction every time regardless of the "insult" presented.  They murder people.  Most often times innocents.  They FEEL insulted and they kill.  People tend to forget the unjustified reaction and focus on what caused them to engage in a mindless killing spree...the sun rose.  Or, in this case some idiot made a film and they target people who had nothing to do with it. 

Should Christians start murdering people when we are insulted (on a daily basis)?  No, so let's stop excusing horrid behavior from radical fanatics who, in my opinion, are insane.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:19:05 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »

Humm, sounds like  this was acommin anyway and the movie is a perfect excuse, something to be used as justification for their actions, maybe?
better stop posten before i say something im gona regret....again.
Excuse being the key word.  What I will never understand is why the good folks sit quietly and allow the nut jobs to operate freely.  I realize the nut jobs are the minority.  Another thing I don't understand is this isnt political as it crosses various borders, but people still find reasons why people made them angry.  It doesn't matter.  Like with children, they get mad and have an outburst they are corrected.  The parents aren't scolded for making them eat broccoli.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:14:58 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »

A post about the implications for free speech was split off and put into the Politics forum:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,46976.msg806565.html#msg806565

If anyone wants to gain membership into the Politics forum, they need to ask Fr. George to let them in.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: