Author Topic: Weight Lifting  (Read 48910 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Weight Lifting
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2013, 10:40:40 AM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »
Musclemag (and related magazines) apparently went bankrupt and is shutting down, at least for now...

Offline Michael David

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2013, 05:00:06 AM »
Musclemag (and related magazines) apparently went bankrupt and is shutting down, at least for now...

I read about Robert Kennedy Publishing going bankrupt. My girlfriend told me about it because she follows Tosca Reno on Facebook. It's a shame because I really liked Musclemag. Do you have any other magazine recommendations? Doesn't Flex have Arnold as an editor now? Is that any good?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
Not sure... I've bought less and less as the years have rolled on. I never found the info in them overly helpful, it was mostly just nice to have some light reading around while I waited 10 minutes till a ballgame came on or something. Still, fwiw, here are my impressions of the non-Robert-Kennedy mags...

Iron Man - I've only ever bought maybe 5-6 of these, and didn't really think much of them, but don't really remember enough to give a fair assessment.

Natural Bodybuilding and Fitness - Again, I've only bought these maybe 5-6 times over the years. This may only come out quarterly, because I don't see it that often, I'm not sure. Either way, I never really saw a reason to keep my eye out, and usually bought it on a whim. Two main things going against it, for me anyway, from what little I remember: it is tied to one of the countless natural bbing organizations, so it's that one organization that gets the focus; and two, frankly, I don't much like the way the guys looked. I love that Frank Zane look, but the guys in this mag just looked scrawny. Maybe that's because I've seen too many of the mass monsters and am now conditioned to expect a certain look from modern bodybuilders, I dunno.

Flex - They have Heath under contract, among others. Though it seems like both Flex and MD run articles with pics from the various big stars, regardless of who they're signed with, so there isn't as much exclusivity as perhaps there once was. They seem more mainstream, more commercialized. I think Arnold did return as "executive editor" or some such title like that. I don't think he ever went totally away, it's just that instead of being a "consultant" or whatever he's now going to be more visibly active.

Muscular Development - They have a lot of guys, including Yates, Coleman, Haney, Cutler, etc. They tend to be less mainstream, going into history a bit more for example. The main reason I like MD is that they seem more honest about the industry, even having articles in every issue about steroids and the like. On the one hand, since I don't use that kinda stuff, it sort of does me no good and just takes up space. On the other hand, I like that approach more than some of the other mags, who act like PEDs aren't part of the sport at the pro level, and probably even in many "natural" shows.

I think all the magazines are self-serving or self-promoting to a large degree (they're a business, after all), but I'll say that I've also seen articles in some of the mags, particularly MD, that are honest about the potential dangers of bodybuilding/lifting, even when publicizing it could hurt their bottom line. For example, in the May 2013 issue of MD they have an article titled "What's good for bodybuilding may be bad for your health," in which they discuss what you'd expect from a title like that. Not exactly an article they wanted to advertise on the cover--but it at least shows that they have some sliver of honesty. Sometimes.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I've found that going to bodybuilding.com every once in a while and listening to the Pro Bodybuilding Worldwide show once a week (in addition to watching the Arnold and Olympia net-casts) is enough to keep me happy. I still pick up a magazine every once in a while though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:36:14 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »
Asteriktos, will you be my trainer?
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline Michael David

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »
Thank you for the great magazine breakdown! I only ever read MuscleMag. I've looked at Iron Man but was not too impressed. Flex looks pretty good, but I'll have to look out for Muscular Development and give that a read sometime. I like magazines since they provide updates on completitions, have some nice workout plans, nutrition research, etc. But, keeping up with everything in other ways (especially Bodybuilding.com, what a great resource) is just as good.

I've got two hulking "encyclopedias" (Arnold and a MuscleMag one) on bodybuilding that have given me more than enough info to ever work through.

Frank Zane is about as "lean" as I find still muscularly aesthetic, but he was certainly still muscular. A lot of the "natural" people just seem too lean to really have shape and distinguish too much. That said, there are some really, really massive modern bodybuilders now, but sometimes its a bit too much. Still, I prefer having the mass.

I didn't know all that about the sponsorship with the magazines and bodybuilders. I saw Phil Heath on the cover of Flex but didn't think it had anything to do with that.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2013, 10:01:27 PM »
I can't even train myself to do things right  ;D  :police:

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2013, 10:02:29 PM »
Major respect for this dog! Incredible transformation in only 2 years! All natural as well from what I hear!

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2013, 10:36:19 PM »
I can't even train myself to do things right  ;D  :police:

I'm 140, 5-11, need to get up to 165ish. Wanna work on pecs especially.
Cursed be he that doeth the work of the LORD deceitfully, and cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »
If you are still working on this, I would definitely PM orthonorm about it, as I believe he has had similar planned shifts in weight before. Since age age 15/16 I have only ever tried to cut down, so I'm really out of my element with that...

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »
Do a lot of curls and you'll get a lot of girls.
Work out pecs to have great sex.
Guys with big quads get girls with great bods.
Build your back to perform better in the sack.
Well developed arms = effective sexual charms.
Work on tris to increase intimate highs
Well molded traps for laying on silky smooth laps

Yes I'm bored. Yes they're corny. Yes they're inaccurate. So what?  8) Though at least I kept some more explicit ones to myself.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2013, 02:44:26 AM »
If you are still working on this, I would definitely PM orthonorm about it, as I believe he has had similar planned shifts in weight before. Since age age 15/16 I have only ever tried to cut down, so I'm really out of my element with that...

I must be the very best, not just academically but physically!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2013, 02:37:45 AM »

If you have any questions you could always ask the brofessor. He taught me everything I know.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
Don't average Joes with moderately sized muscles look sorta silly a lot of the time?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2013, 12:48:19 AM »
How to Skip Leg Day

"Apply the priority principle. Your arms are looking small today, your legs are small every day. Which is more urgent? This is an emergency. It's an ARMergency. Legs can wait."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »

Another one, from the comments on that pic on facebook:

"So in a way , i knew how your friends lifted better then you ever did ..... Would you like to know which one of them had chicken legs"?

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
Asteriktos, will you be my trainer?

But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
I'm sure if I was European I would find that pic quite amusing  :police:

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2013, 03:39:29 PM »
I must admit I was thinking how many cross-cultural taboos I break by posting that picture. I'm fairly sure though most of the Europeans too would be disgusted by that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:40:12 PM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2013, 12:39:34 AM »
William doesn't understand.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2013, 01:04:46 PM »
So apparently Scooby is shutting down his youtube channel and site. Cliffs, as far as I can tell:

- Scooby started posting on 4chan, and after a while cut down significantly on posting or stopped
- Someone figured out Scooby's personal info (name, address, work address, etc.)
- 4chan people started calling his home and work, yelling "faggot" into the phone, and started harassing and possibly threatening people he knows, including his partner
- Scooby says in his video that he is shutting everything down and starting a new website for people over 40, and it will be secure

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2013, 01:31:01 AM »

Offline AV

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »
This one got derailed a tad, but I like it anyway.  :laugh:

I have lost 40 lbs in the past year, and joined the YMCA yesterday. I am going specifically to do the program "Starting Strength" by Rippetoe. It is essentially basic power lifting movements and is progression purposed. Empty bar to forever. Several people I know are using it to great effect, and I need the strength improvements for sure.
Christianity; The perfect message delivered by imperfect messengers.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
This one got derailed a tad, but I like it anyway.  :laugh:

I have lost 40 lbs in the past year, and joined the YMCA yesterday. I am going specifically to do the program "Starting Strength" by Rippetoe. It is essentially basic power lifting movements and is progression purposed. Empty bar to forever. Several people I know are using it to great effect, and I need the strength improvements for sure.

Good luck! I have also heard people rave about it, though I've not used it myself.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
Why did God/nature/parents leave me with almost no lats? It's so embarrassing. I almost feel like I have to fake ILS just to compensate.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »
For anyone wanting to know all the dirty drug/sex/etc. secrets of pro bodybuilding... or some of them anyway... this thread is for you. Very entertaining. I started on page 1 earlier this afternoon and am on page 38 now...

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2013, 01:24:12 AM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »
As of this morning I was down to 192 lbs...  I'm celebrated by eating a bunch of cookies! ;D The reason that particular number means something to me is that that's 50 pounds less than my heaviest weight (several years ago). I've lost about 10 lbs. over the last 6 weeks, since I've been caring somewhat again. My goal is 180, though I'm not sure what I'll do once I get there.

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2013, 01:07:21 AM »
As of this morning I was down to 192 lbs...  I'm celebrated by eating a bunch of cookies! ;D The reason that particular number means something to me is that that's 50 pounds less than my heaviest weight (several years ago). I've lost about 10 lbs. over the last 6 weeks, since I've been caring somewhat again. My goal is 180, though I'm not sure what I'll do once I get there.

We have the same goal weight.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2013, 02:34:08 AM »
Wanna race?  :angel:

Also, while I'm here, a dumb joke:

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2013, 02:39:30 AM »

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
Geez William, 180? What's your height?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »

Good news. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
Geez William, 180? What's your height?

Taller than you, shorty.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2013, 12:57:19 AM »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »

If you have any questions you could always ask the brofessor. He taught me everything I know.

Sorry Asteriktos, if I skip leg day I'll never be able to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvIu7s-vIM

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2013, 08:10:57 AM »
Ok, which one of you guys is this a video of? And what are you reading? Ladder of Divine Ascent? Philokalia, Vol 1? Sayings of the Desert Fathers?

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »
So after extensive googling as to whether a one arm handstand push up is possible for a human, I have come up with this definite conclusion: maybe.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2013, 11:06:07 PM »
^If it's awkward, flashy, and largely useless, a cross-fitter somewhere has certainly mastered it  8) 

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2013, 11:07:30 PM »
^If it's awkward, flashy, and largely useless, a cross-fitter somewhere has certainly mastered it  8) 

U jelly?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2013, 11:10:11 PM »
Lol, nah, just perpetuating the meathead vs. crossfit argument/fighting stuff ;D I really don't care either way. As far as I'm concerned, if you're content with what you're doing, whether powerlifting, crossfit, or KFC, then have at it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:10:31 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2013, 11:15:57 PM »
Lol, nah, just perpetuating the meathead vs. crossfit argument/fighting stuff ;D I really don't care either way. As far as I'm concerned, if you're content with what you're doing, whether powerlifting, crossfit, or KFC, then have at it.

What is CrossFit? Is that like bodyweight exercises?

Offline Keelin

« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2013, 01:20:43 AM »
5'9 150-155lbs

300lb x 3 deadlift, very excited to hit twice my bodyweight.

280 x 5 squat, again excited to hit twice bodyweight.

160lb x 10 benchpress, never my strong point.

18 consecutive strict forum chin ups.