OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 09:57:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Horizons for the King of the Dwarfs  (Read 273 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:26 AM »

NASA Pluto Probe to Wake From Hibernation Next Month

NASA's New Horizons probe is about to wake up from a long slumber and get ready for its highly anticipated Pluto flyby next summer. New Horizons is scheduled to emerge from a 99-day hibernation on Dec. 6, then gear up for a six-month Pluto encounter that peaks with the first-ever close flyby of the mysterious dwarf planet on July 14, 2015...

The Pluto encounter technically begins on Jan. 15, 2015. Over the next six months, the spacecraft will use seven different science instruments to study the geology and topography of Pluto and its largest moon, Charon, map the two objects' surface compositions and temperatures, study Pluto's atmosphere and search for undiscovered moons and rings in the dwarf planet system, among other things, team members said...

Large Marge sent me...
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:54:47 AM »

10 weeks before July 14, 2015 is when New Horizons pictures will be as good as the best pictures from earth.  From that point onward, it will really get interesting.  Here is a timeline:  http://lh4.ggpht.com/-421Ju4wn0cw/Ub58PcKQ0DI/AAAAAAAAFpo/DmgOOLJTQx4/s1600-h/NH%252520pluto_geometry_large2%25255B4%25255D.jpg
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:55:08 AM by Gamliel » Logged
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »

10 weeks before July 14, 2015 is when New Horizons pictures will be as good as the best pictures from earth.  From that point onward, it will really get interesting.  Here is a timeline:  http://lh4.ggpht.com/-421Ju4wn0cw/Ub58PcKQ0DI/AAAAAAAAFpo/DmgOOLJTQx4/s1600-h/NH%252520pluto_geometry_large2%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Wouldn't it be amazing if they found a continent-sized spider nesting on the dwarf planet?

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »

I was expecting dwarves. I am disappointed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 12:33:52 PM by Nephi » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »

10 weeks before July 14, 2015 is when New Horizons pictures will be as good as the best pictures from earth.  From that point onward, it will really get interesting.  Here is a timeline:  http://lh4.ggpht.com/-421Ju4wn0cw/Ub58PcKQ0DI/AAAAAAAAFpo/DmgOOLJTQx4/s1600-h/NH%252520pluto_geometry_large2%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Wouldn't it be amazing if they found a continent-sized spider nesting on the dwarf planet?
It would really get interesting if they found Jimmy Hoffa.  That would certainly make the news. Wink Tongue
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »

Maybe we can name one of the possible new moons Snow White,  that'll make you happy.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 10:53:12 PM »

I kinda thought it would be about the new Hobbit movie.
Didyma
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

I am not nice!

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 10:59:11 PM »

Ditto.  Well anyway, I'd like to see a picture of one of the cryovolcanoes that are supposed to be on Charon.

.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »

Hobbit.  That would be a good name for a moon.  If no more moons are discovered, at least a planetary probe.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 12:03:21 AM »

Ditto.  Well anyway, I'd like to see a picture of one of the cryovolcanoes that are supposed to be on Charon.

All the way from 2010, here you go:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/15/titan_ice_volcano/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »

Ditto.

"...be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

angel

Large Marge sent me...
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 05:24:31 PM »

"...be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

angel

I was wondering if a goat is harmless enough Undecided

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Gunnarr
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 05:41:47 AM »

I want dwarves! and not the fake hobbit dwarves who arn't fat enough and are too tall! and no  beards!

basically, take an orthodox bishop, reduce height by half or so, but do not decrease weight, maybe add a few pounds. Then you have what a dwarf should look like!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:43:20 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 06:21:31 AM »

I want dwarves! and not the fake hobbit dwarves who arn't fat enough and are too tall! and no  beards!

basically, take an orthodox bishop, reduce height by half or so, but do not decrease weight, maybe add a few pounds. Then you have what a dwarf should look like!

Large Marge sent me...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: