Author Topic: John Dee painting originally had circle of human skulls, x-ray imaging reveals  (Read 444 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless

The Royal Society of Physicians is getting ready for an exhibition on his life and work

The x-ray imaging commissioned for the exhibition reveals that Dee was originally standing in a circle of human skulls. Why Glindoni painted them out is unknown, but Birkwood said it was easy to imagine it was on the instructions of the probably unnerved person who commissioned it.

The Royal Society wants people to remember him as an early scientist more than as an occultist who thought he could conjure angels.

My response is that one could say similar things about Newton. One thing you can say about Dee and not Newton, though, is that Dee in his capacity of adviser to Queen Elizabeth I was the first person to propose the concept of an overseas British Empire (and thus has centuries of blood on his hands, but never mind...)

I did like this part, though:

Dee’s library of 4,000 volumes was one of the biggest and most remarkable in Europe and he seems to have read everything, diligently digesting and questioning all of it.

Dee clearly became frustrated that an account of the Trojan War by Dictys Cretensis omitted the best bit of the story. In one margin he wrote: “Nihil hic de equo Troiano,” which might be roughly translated today as “where’s the horse?”
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
It's a pretty good metaphor for how some modern scientists like to whitewash (or simply ignore) their intellectual history.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • New Martyr Elizabeth
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
I'm actually surprised that John Dee was anything more for history than an occultist. I had never heard of this queen-counselling side of his.
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
It's a pretty good metaphor for how some modern scientists like to whitewash (or simply ignore) their intellectual history.

Yep

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
Should have kept the skulls.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
I'm actually surprised that John Dee was anything more for history than an occultist. I had never heard of this queen-counselling side of his.

That's because the sensational always survives longer than the mundane.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Protokentarchos
Interesting painting. Thanks for sharing

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
The only thing I knew about John Dee was that he was the original 007.  And that knowledge came from a video game... great post.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
The only thing I knew about John Dee was that he was the original 007.  And that knowledge came from a video game... great post.

Although this Serb may have been a bigger influence on Fleming's character design.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches

And that game no doubt got it from the fact that often affixed this symbol to his signature:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:36:28 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
Interesting painting. Thanks for sharing

You're welcome!