Author Topic: Physical anthropology  (Read 94 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Physical anthropology
« on: September 15, 2018, 11:33:22 PM »
When I was a bit younger, I got quite obsessed with physical anthropology, specifically with the science of phenotypical taxonomy. I was never a racist (and I really mean this, I was annoyed at how many racists used this knowledge to try to reaffirm their own prejudice and this was part of the reason why I stopped studying it), but I loved to be able to look at someone and associate them with a classical taxon, an ancient people, an archeological site, etc. It was exactly the same drive that makes me interested in linguistics (specially metaphony, ancient languages, etc): to see how much history walks among us.

I read a lot on this subject, and I was quite annoyed at how hard it was to find some reliable info, specially regarding non-European types, but recently it came to my knowledge that Ratatoskr, probably the most knowledgeable guy on this discipline alive, restored his legendary website Human Phenotypes, which put me through a new study drive. It's quite an interesting site, I recommend you guys to take a look, just ignore the technical vocabulary and keep in mind his maps refer to the pre-colonial world.

So, if anyone has a curiosity to know anything about this subject, feel free to ask. If you would like to know the specific classification of someone (yourselves, an acquaintance, a celebrity, etc), feel free to ask. That's the most fun part of it.

I'm personally a blend of the litorid and berid types. Litorid is a stabilised mix between Western mediterraneans and Eastern armenoids, associated with sea people originated on modern-day Turkey, now spanning all throughout the coast from Lebanon to Scandinavia. Berid, also known as Paleo-Sardinian, is and old type of the Western Mediterranean, basically a dark Cro-Magnons with softer features. It is associated with the fossiles found in Les Eyzies, Dordogne, France, and not coincidentally the region of Dordogne is where it's the most prevalent in France, while also found in Southern Italy, specific regions of the Iberian Peninsula, and, in smaller numbers, from Turkey to North Africa to Great Britain. I suspect African berids developed separately, though, from a type closer to modern berberids, who exist in Eurasia more or less where berids also do, but occupy a much larger area in Africa.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 11:40:19 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
Re: Physical anthropology
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 12:12:30 AM »
Have you done a DNA test?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Physical anthropology
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 12:20:02 AM »
Have you done a DNA test?
Nope, but the curiosity for it is coming back, I think I'll do it this year still. It should get 85%-95% European, the rest mostly Middle Eastern/North African, but I wouldn't be weirded out to find a hint of Subsaharan African and Native American blood, or to find out I'm around 80% or even practically 100% European.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth