OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 06:05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what are the best college degrees to pursue?  (Read 1595 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: September 13, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »

I think I qualified a year ago, but now I am considered an independent and can receive much more money from the governement than before. So with that, I think I might take a few classes here and there.

I'd love to have a degree in Graphic Design but I've read it's pretty oversaturated and I've rationalized it by being self-taught, which I am.

Fine Arts is something I am pretty good at, I love painting and sadly if college wasn't so grotesquely expensive and I didn't squander a scholarship that's what I'd probably get a degree in. I think it was for the best, I've grown considerably since leaving college for awhile, or so I think.

Anyway, is Accounting really the best for bang for the degree buck? I've taken an interest in it since that's what I do now (albeit nothing what a real accountant does) but I find it wholly boring. I want to do something creative, but all those degrees are just going to serve as a plate to put my Ramen on.

I'm about 10k in student loan debt, don't plan on adding more than that.

However I feel if it comes down to where I need to borrow money, I will. This job searching is so discouraging, so many positions I know I'm qualified for all require a degree. I figure in 10-20 years you may not get even a mediocre job without one.

So, OC.net members, what do you suggest on the best degrees to get for the future? Granted we can't predict what will change in the future, but I'm sure some of the degrees will have a long time lasting value.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »

Do you want to actually make money someday?  If so, STEM.

If not, anything you want, cupcake.

(FWIW, I have a B.A. in Liberal Arts.  I have my job because I know people who own businesses.)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »

Oh yes, STEM, everything that I am not good at.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Oh yes, STEM, everything that I am not good at.

Folks always woof about business degrees, but business degrees are literally just as worthless as Liberal Arts degrees without a specific business plan.  If you want to know the real, a lot o great jobs in the US are in mid-level manufacturing which require 2 year degrees or University certificate/apprentice programs as a machinist or tech person.  They are very job specific, and many folks at college simply don't realize their potential which is why there are literally 100,000 openings currently across the nation in such fields.  For Arts degrees, you need a very specific plan from the gate to get anything accomplished financially, and even then, you'd be looking to make 20% less than a person with comparable education and experience in different fields.

You can always get a history degree and work for R.A.N.D.  when I was at university they recruited to me twice Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:02:33 AM »

My advice: Find work you really enjoy doing, then go back to school to learn how to do that work better.

I earned my BA degree in music performance but found it pretty much useless financially if I didn't make it into either a military band program or a professional symphony. After kicking around for several years in a number of low paying jobs, I found that I had a knack for computer programming, so I went back to school to earn an Associates degree in computer software engineering. That degree opened the door for me to do the work I enjoy doing most and get paid a pretty hefty income for doing so. After a few more years in this field, I hope to even return to school in the evenings to earn a Master of Software Engineering degree (a Masters degree program for working professionals, as opposed to an academic degree). (I'm still actively involved in music performance, even if only as an amateur hobbyist, and I'm one of the music leaders in my church, so I won't say that my music degree was a total waste of money.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:52:42 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:29:46 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

My advice: Find work you really enjoy doing, then go back to school to get educated on how to do your work better.

I earned my BA degree in music performance but found it pretty much useless financially if I didn't make it into either a military band program or a professional symphony.

"Its the only way really, to bring about the final solution to the orchestra question.." Frank Zappa's 200 Motels

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 01:40:03 AM »

So what are the best college degrees to pursue?

Nursing? There's gonna be a lot of demand in cleaning up baby boomer poop in the coming decades...  Grin

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:53:36 AM »

So, OC.net members, what do you suggest on the best degrees to get for the future? Granted we can't predict what will change in the future, but I'm sure some of the degrees will have a long time lasting value.

Biology field

Forgive my sins.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 02:17:40 AM »

Hopefully, a combination of what you enjoy and what you are good at doing.  Don't be like me and spend an entire career in something you no longer enjoy simply waiting on retirement to come.  Have fun and enjoy your work, even if it's simply digging ditches.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:40:40 AM »

Hopefully, a combination of what you enjoy and what you are good at doing.  Don't be like me and spend an entire career in something you no longer enjoy simply waiting on retirement to come.  Have fun and enjoy your work, even if it's simply digging ditches.

^^^ Actually that's the best advice.

Just do what you like, and be the best at it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 02:40:58 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »

I can't even count how many jobs I've had in my illustrious career - retail, temp at a bank, telemarketer, sign shop,....throughout my college years.

Then I grew up and had to get serious.

I used to be a programmer, but, that job got sent to India.  So, I while I still retained my job, I had to retrain in something else....which became software packaging (creating and testing MSI's).....until that job got outsourced to.....India.  So, while I retained my job, I had to retrain in something else...Client Assurance Testing.....until....

What I really enjoy is "art"....however, I also realized that would get me nowhere financially. 

Therefore, I hold down a job that I have never been truly comfortable with, in order to pay those pesky bills.

However, I still do "art" on the side.  Anybody who needs anything "creative" done, knows to come to me and I will help them out....be it flyers, pamphlets, photos, etc.  I usually do it for the Orthodox Community where I live, free of charge....because I feel that this creative "gift" was given to me free of charge, and therefore, I give it "back" free of charge.

My advice for the next generation would be something in the medical field...and there are many options.  While other jobs can be outsourced, people will always be getting sick and needing assistance.  Granted the radiologist who reviewed my last set of X-Rays actually was physically not in the U.S., however, the technician was.

For job security find something to do with the human "body".....medical or otherwise.  Hospital jobs, nursing home jobs, doctor's office jobs, dentist,  hair stylist, nail salon, foot doctor, physical therapist, psychiatrist/or therapist, ophthalmologist, etc.

In addition to the human "body" jobs....the human "spirit" jobs will also reap huge rewards - clergy (perhaps not monetary)...but, what better way to spend your life?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »

Nursing - great pay, great benefits

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »

Really? 

I know a couple of nurses, who always complain about the low pay, long hours, etc.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »

I heartily second Papist's nursing suggestion. Some nursing schools will even subsidize your education if you agree to work at their hospital system for a set number of years.  The schooling is not too bad & there many specialities you can choose.  I hope you'll at least look into it, Achronos.

Best of luck in whatever you choose!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 10:24:20 AM »

Really? 

I know a couple of nurses, who always complain about the low pay, long hours, etc.

I guess it depends on what type of nursing & their geographic region. Plus, people will always complain.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 10:36:38 AM »

Funny how we say, "this career will work for you," or, "that career has great benefits". Yet we know nothing about Achronos except what he posts of himself here. We know nothing about what he loves most to do. We know nothing of his personal skills and aptitudes. So in the end, all we're doing is listing a bunch of careers that need filled by someone without any idea that Achronos may totally hate every one of them. They may sound attractive to us, but what about him?

So I come back to the advice I gave earlier. Find work you love to do, then go back to school to learn how to do that work better.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:37:49 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »

Funny how we say, "this career will work for you," or, "that career has great benefits". Yet we know nothing about Achronos except what he posts of himself here. We know nothing about what he loves most to do. We know nothing of his personal skills and aptitudes. So in the end, all we're doing is listing a bunch of careers that need filled by someone without any idea that Achronos may totally hate every one of them. They may sound attractive to us, but what about him?

So I come back to the advice I gave earlier. Find work you love to do, then go back to school to learn how to do that work better.

That's a good model. But you still have to do some research on what kind of jobs are out there that you might like to do. Here's a list of "The 25 Best Jobs" from US News and World Report: http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-25-best-jobs

It's not perfect, but it does give you some idea of fields that are projected to grow in the next 20 years.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »

Really? 

My wife's a nursing assistant. It's fair to say that I know quite a few nurses who complain about the same things. Most of them still wouldn't do anything else but I'd definitely describe nursing as more of a vocation than a job for someone who simply wants to pay the bills.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »

We're just giving him options.  Perhaps he'll read something he never thought of, and realize he might want to give it a try.

....after all, he is the one who asked for suggestions and ideas.

—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:11 AM »

My advice: Find work you really enjoy doing, then go back to school to learn how to do that work better.

I earned my BA degree in music performance but found it pretty much useless financially if I didn't make it into either a military band program or a professional symphony. After kicking around for several years in a number of low paying jobs, I found that I had a knack for computer programming, so I went back to school to earn an Associates degree in computer software engineering. That degree opened the door for me to do the work I enjoy doing most and get paid a pretty hefty income for doing so. After a few more years in this field, I hope to even return to school in the evenings to earn a Master of Software Engineering degree (a Masters degree program for working professionals, as opposed to an academic degree). (I'm still actively involved in music performance, even if only as an amateur hobbyist, and I'm one of the music leaders in my church, so I won't say that my music degree was a total waste of money.)

Amen to that - I am nearly 60 and I know far too many folks who lived throught unfulling and unrewarding careers because they thought it prudent to seek a ride of the most current trendy degrees at the time they had to choose. Often there was a default field - like law in the 1970's or business in the 1990's or IT today. A lot of us ended up there for no other reason than 'because.'  Nowadays we hear about science, math and IT all of the time, over and over again - soon we will need english teachers and history teachers or more accountants or fewer of this or that.

Be smart, don't just go with your heart - degrees in some fields are probably relatively worthless, but at the risk of being offensive I won't share my thoughts on which ones - but don't over analyze things in reaction either. A blend of intuition, what you like and what you are adept at are good ingredients to put into your choice process.

Seminary is not a bad place to end up by the way!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:25:41 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »

Really?  

Most of the nurses I know make $70,000 - $80,000 with an associates degree and work three to four 12 hour shifts a week. When the work a fourth shift it's because they chose to take on an overtime shift. Sounds like a good deal to me.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:47:49 AM by Papist » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »

You raise some good points. The intention of my post was merely to point out a good career field/field of study.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 12:23:37 PM »

I think I qualified a year ago, but now I am considered an independent and can receive much more money from the governement than before. So with that, I think I might take a few classes here and there.

I'd love to have a degree in Graphic Design but I've read it's pretty oversaturated and I've rationalized it by being self-taught, which I am.

Fine Arts is something I am pretty good at, I love painting and sadly if college wasn't so grotesquely expensive and I didn't squander a scholarship that's what I'd probably get a degree in. I think it was for the best, I've grown considerably since leaving college for awhile, or so I think.

Anyway, is Accounting really the best for bang for the degree buck? I've taken an interest in it since that's what I do now (albeit nothing what a real accountant does) but I find it wholly boring. I want to do something creative, but all those degrees are just going to serve as a plate to put my Ramen on.

I'm about 10k in student loan debt, don't plan on adding more than that.

However I feel if it comes down to where I need to borrow money, I will. This job searching is so discouraging, so many positions I know I'm qualified for all require a degree. I figure in 10-20 years you may not get even a mediocre job without one.

Look at salaries for new petroleum engineers, and then try and tell me accounting is the best bang for the buck.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

Really?  

Most of the nurses I know make $70,000 - $80,000 with an associates degree and work three to four 12 hour shifts a week. When the work a fourth shift it's because they chose to take on an overtime shift. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Wow.  That does sound like a good deal.  I had no idea.  Good money, plus the opportunity to help people who are scared and in need. 

Something to think about, for sure.

—St. Isaac of Syria
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »

Pittsburgh Steelers QB. Grin

Forgive my sins.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »

Nurses are payed pretty badly, AFAIK. Perhaps it's different on your side of the big pond.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »

Nurses are payed pretty badly, AFAIK. Perhaps it's different on your side of the big pond.
I'm sure it varies, but here in Albuquerque, New Mexico, nursing pays very well. It's my understanding that in countries with socialized medicine, medical professional are paid less. Not a political statement, just my understanding.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »

I appreciate that Peter, and honestly to list all my skills would invoke some sort of pride that I do not want to indulge in. Frankly I may even have skills I don't know about myself.

I seriously considered a career in medicine for about 2 years and then realized it wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong, yes that's the kind of industry with great benefits and compensation but it's not something that can keep me interested in the longterm. Lord forgive me but I hesitate to care for sickly people, so nursing is out of the question. I wanted to be a pharmacist at one point, but looking at the future, I bet there will be less pharmacists in the future.

How well does that old adage "Do what you love and the money will follow" hold up? I've been cynical about it since I've seen very few successful where that seems to be true.

It also seems to me that where the money is, all those professions would bore me to death. I don't care about money unless I have a family, so that is something that needs serious consideration as well because that changes everything to me. I'd gladly work some boring gig that pays great just to support my family.

I'm what 24 right now, about to hit 25 next month. It just seems scary because I feel that gap on getting a career going is slowly closing in.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 06:43:28 PM »

With his build, any football career is going to be lived out on a table.

(Achronos shop your face to a foosball guy, so I can mock you better. Thanks.)

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »

With his build, any football career is going to be lived out on a table.

(Achronos shop your face to a foosball guy, so I can mock you better. Thanks.)

I think shopping my face to a ballerina may be better. In a jewel box.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:55:43 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

"Do what you love and the money will follow"

What I've ignored and seen most helpful is more something along the lines of:

Do what you find reasonably interesting and could find yourself not loathing to do at someone else's behest for 40 or so hours a week.

Sometimes doing what you love under those circumstances is the worst thing.

If I could do it all over again, I would have made a single different decision. One that surprises people who don't really know me.

A note to help you with your anxiety. With $10k in the hole you are ahead of a lot of people and that amount of debt, especially under the new restructuring of student loans, won't feel that bad at all, if you end up making a decent salary.

You are a multi-talented and bright guy. But don't let that blind you to the practical aspects on the horizon within the next 15 years.

EDIT: Also, you could start the nearly impossible task of removing the singularly American notion of almost completely identifying with what you do to earn money. Ask an American what they do and you will always get their occupation. Other folks, not so much.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:54:30 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
WPM
Archon

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 11:41:48 AM »

Depends on your motivations and aspirations pertaining to what kind of degree you want.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:43:27 AM by WPM » Logged
christian7777
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »

I hear computer science is a good major. Sometimes it depends on what you want to do later. Like if you want to go into the medical field, a degree such as biology would be useful, especially because it will help with fulfilling your major courses.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2012, 01:06:01 PM »

Really? 

Those are probably CVNs, RNs do indeed make GREAT money but they do have a pretty heavy workload.

So much like the rest of America, no body seems interested in the machinist and manufacturing tech jobs? They really do pay well, are good jobs, and have literally too many openings! I guess I can see why since nobody here dug em either Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »

Pharmaceuticals for me

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »

Pharmaceuticals for me

Not an easy job! Why do you want to do it?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2012, 08:40:24 PM »

I've been thinking about switching to something that has both job security and high wages. At first I was thinking landscape architecture, but then I thought... no, the real money is in the fine arts. Thus I'm going for a degree in music now.  police

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »

Really? 

Those are probably CVNs, RNs do indeed make GREAT money but they do have a pretty heavy workload.

So much like the rest of America, no body seems interested in the machinist and manufacturing tech jobs? They really do pay well, are good jobs, and have literally too many openings! I guess I can see why since nobody here dug em either Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I'm actually thinking of something along these lines as my second career.  I know can't do what I do now much longer.  It's turned me into a bitter pessimist.  I need something less stressful and standardized, if that makes sense. 
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 11:05:11 PM »

I've been thinking about switching to something that has both job security and high wages. At first I was thinking landscape architecture, but then I thought... no, the real money is in the fine arts. Thus I'm going for a degree in music now.  police

The government have constructed, at great expense, an experimental reorientation facility—to find a way, perhaps, to retrain these useless old classical musicians ... to give them a trade, a reason to exist in a modern world, a happier, more productive life. Some will enter the military, some will learn shorthand, and some will disappear in the middle of the night, on a special train theyre sending in. Its the only way, really, to bring about the final solution to the Orchestra Question.
200 Motels

Wink Wink Wink

Really?  

I know couple of nurses, who always complain about the low pay, long hours, etc.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
I'm actually thinking of something along these lines as my second career.  I know can't do what I do now much longer.  It's turned me into a bitter pessimist.  I need something less stressful and standardized, if that makes sense.  

I've noticed the bitter pessimism lately, so I will pray for you. I'm at the least glad to finally understand the context Smiley

Machinst are great jobs, when I was at University I worked odd jobs at factories, lithographics plants, warehouses, and the like, and I can tell you, the machinst and tech guys had great jobs in those places and they surely looked happier than the rest of us minimum (and even less  Lips Sealed) wage slaves

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:10:46 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 11:46:13 PM »

suggested reading:

48 Days to the Work You Love: Preparing for the New Normal
http://www.amazon.com/Days-The-Work-You-Love/dp/0805431888/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348976691&sr=8-2&keywords=40+days+to+the+work+you+love

Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job & Your Dream Job
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=quitter+by+jon+acuff&sprefix=Quitter%2Cstripbooks%2C506

Proverbs 22:7
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2012, 01:18:50 AM »

Years ago I was an over the road truck driver and loved it, but there is no degree required for that, unless you are starting your own business.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: