OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 11:31:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you consider the Star of David to be a symbol of Jesus christ?
Yes, He is from thd House of David and that is their family seal - 5 (50%)
No, the Star of David is Jewish, not Christian - 4 (40%)
No, the Star of David is Pagan, not Christian - 1 (10%)
No, the Star of David is the Mark of the Beast 666 - 0 (0%)
No, Jesus Christ is not a Jew - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 'Jewish' Star of David on Top of the Pope's Head and what it Means for the C  (Read 5824 times) Average Rating: 0
Maccabaeus

Faith: Ukrainian Catholic
Jurisdiction: None, no nearby Ukrainian Catholic Churches

« on: September 13, 2012, 03:52:17 AM »

The 'Jewish' Star of David on Top of the Pope's Head and what it Means for the Church
________________________________________ ______

Many works on Christian iconography say that the six-pointed star is the Creator's Star or Star of Creation. Its six points stand for the six days of creation...The star also appears in decoration in St. Peter's basilica and in many Gothic churches.

- Pope Benedict XVI Forum

As can be seen above, the photograph at the top left shows Pope Benedict XVI wearing a traditional-looking hat, also known as a Papal mitre. For those who may be surprised or even astonished at this public display of the 'Jewish' Star, should realize that the Pope first starting wearing this particular head-piece well over a year ago. Therefore this is already old news at best. At the time, and ever since, some rather inflammatory opinions about this Papal hexagram have been posted online, most of them filled with fear, anger, and even hatred towards the Pope, the Catholic Church, the Jews and even the symbol itself (as if it had a mind of its own).

A brief bout of research on the internet reveals an astonishing array of negativity about Pope Benedict XVI's so-called 'sudden' and 'inappropriate' display of one of the modern symbols connoting Judaism. Far too many Christians have unfortunately assumed that this Star is a thoroughly Jewish emblem, and a symbol representing Judaism alone. Unfortunately, it seems the vast majority of Catholics (and Protestants) still fail to realize the historical truth about the matter. In reality, the Roman Catholic Church has been using the Star of David in its vast array of Christian symbolism for many centuries. So has the Eastern Orthodox Church as well. This is not to say that the Star of David has ever been a major ikon of the Church like the Cross for example, but it has never been designated as a purely, exclusively Jewish symbol- thus becoming strictly off-limits for Christian use. As one source puts it succinctly:

It so happens that during the Middle Ages, the 'Star of David' was frequently found on churches (such as Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome) and even in mosques, but was absent in synagogues. It was also conspicuously absent as a symbol in Jewish books and on ritual objects.

- Star of David or Star of Goloka?, Fourwinds10.com

Indeed, there are literally dozens of Catholic Churches around the world, including the main Cathedral in Mazatlan, Mexico, which have deliberately utilized the Star of David as a part of the their overall Christian architecture. Not only that, but a quick look at the internet shows there to be at least six sites dedicated to Christian symbols which list the six-pointed star as yet another type of authentic Christian symbolism. Christian authorities prefer to it the Star of Creation, Star of the Creator, or the Creator's star. Now for those Christian believers who may still have any doubts whatsoever about the six-pointed Star of David should be more than reassured by the historical facts themselves. As it turns out, there happen to be at least six independent listings of Christian symbols and/or symbolism which include the Star of David in their collection without any reservation:

#1- Six-Pointed Star: Stars with six points have a deep ancient history that has been connected to many other religions with a range of meanings. In regards to Christianity, the star with six points is known as the Creator's Star (or the Star of Creation).

- Symbolism of Stars in Christianity, Unexplainable.net

(ALSO at #2- Catholic-Saints.info, #3- GoCek.org, #4- EzartsnCrafts.com, #5- ChristianSymbols.net, and #6- ReliJournal.com)

As seen through a careful inspection of the Pope's photograph, the typically flat-looking triangles which traditionally make up a Star of David differ somewhat from the actual symbol seen atop the Papal ceremonial head-dress (mitre). Looking closely enough, one can see that the golden Star's triangular lines appear as if they were interwoven on top of, and beneath, each other in a three-dimensional representation of this six-pointed geometric polygon (also called a hexagram). According to legend, King Solomon supposedly took the rather simple, two-dimensional Star of David he inherited from his Royal father and managed to improve upon it by having the two opposite triangles appear as if they were interwoven with one another.

One must also never forget that, since Jesus Christ belongs to the royal House of David, it is rightfully His symbol as well. For was not the son of Mary and Joseph born a Jew? As the Catechism of the Catholic Church puts it:

The magi's coming to Jerusalem in order to pay homage to the king of the Jews shows that they seek in Israel, in the messianic light of the Star of David, the one who will be king of the nations. Their coming means that pagans can discover Jesus and worship him as Son of God and Savior of the world only by turning towards the Jews and receiving from them the messianic promise as contained in the Old Testament.

- Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church

In conclusion, the actual history of the hexagram in terms of the Judeo/Christian tradition indicates that Pope Benedict XVI's recent public display of the symbol is nothing new at all. In addition, the Pope's implied acceptance and approval of the Star of David/Seal of Solomon appears to be in complete agreement with a fairly long and extensive history of Christian use.

May the LORD God bless you in the name of St. Judas Maccabaeus.

The stone the builders rejected has become the Cornerstone. By the LORD has this been done and it is wonderful in our eyes.

- Psalms 118:22-23

You are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the Gates of Hell will not prevail against it.

- Matthew 16:18
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:05:24 AM »

Who cares?
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:57 AM »

btw the 6 point star didn't become associated with Judaism until the 16th century.

Proverbs 22:7
Maccabaeus

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:58:01 AM »

Who cares?

Because it's fun.....

Don't you ever have any fun?

(Bottom middle Icon is From an Eastern Orthodox Church)

How come you don't want to have any fun?

I think it's time for you to have a little fun....

God bless and Shalom my Christian brother!

The stone the builders rejected has become the Cornerstone. By the LORD has this been done and it is wonderful in our eyes.

You are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the Gates of Hell will not prevail against it.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:03:56 AM »

Many works on Christian iconography say that the six-pointed star is the Creator's Star or Star of Creation. Its six points stand for the six days of creation...

That might be the case as far as non-Orthodox religious art is concerned, but, as far as Orthodox iconography is concerned, I would be struggling to be able to come up with even one example of an icon which bears a six-pointed star. By contrast, eight-pointed stars, representing the eternal Eighth Day, are very, very frequent in icons.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 05:20:37 AM »

Um, why is your avatar an upside-down masonic pyramid?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 05:27:04 AM »

It so happens that during the Middle Ages, the 'Star of David' was frequently found on churches (such as Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome) and even in mosques, but was absent in synagogues. It was also conspicuously absent as a symbol in Jewish books and on ritual objects.

Was St. Peter Basilica built in the Middle Ages?
Maccabaeus

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 05:30:59 AM »

btw the 6 point star didn't become associated with Judaism until the 16th century.

I don't have the time to really argue with you right now, but I do have just enough time to prove you wrong. Pictured below is the Star of David featured prominently in the Leningrad Codex which dates from the very, very early 11th century, 1008 A.D. to be exact. That makes you about 500 years too late to ever convince the Rabbis who actually wrote this Jewish Bible, and then deliberately placed the Magen David in it, that 'the 6 point star didn't become associated with Judaism until the 16th century'. In fact, they might think you're meshugah!

However, I'd be thrilled to hear from you on Facebook. I'll leave the invitation open indefinitely. God bless and Shalom.

http://www.facebook.com/stjudasmaccabaeus

The Star of David in the oldest surviving complete copy of the Masoretic text, the Leningrad Codex, dated 1008.

Leningrad Codex (cover page E, folio 474a)

The Leningrad Codex (or Codex Leningradensis) is the oldest complete manuscript of the Hebrew Bible in Hebrew, using the masoretic text and Tiberian vocalization.[1] It is dated AD 1008 (or possibly AD 1009) according to its colophon. The Aleppo Codex, against which the Leningrad Codex was corrected, is several decades older, but parts of it have been missing since 1947, making the Leningrad Codex the oldest complete codex of the Tiberian mesorah that has survived intact to this day.

In modern times, the Leningrad Codex is significant as the Hebrew text reproduced in Biblia Hebraica (1937) and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (1977). It also serves scholars as a primary source for the recovery of details in the missing parts of the Aleppo Codex.

- Leningrad Codex, Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Codex

Post editted to be OK with forum's copyright policy - MK.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:37:02 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 07:40:34 AM »

For all intents and purposes, yes.   By the time of the papacy's return from Avignon, the Constantinian basilica was in bad shape and one of the Popes decided to raze and completely rebuild it into the grandest church in Christendom (many people, probably rightly, howled about it, but to no avail).    It took decades to construct the current structure (one of the project managers was Michelangelo). 

That being said, the builders of the Constantinian cathedral did basically the same thing to the monument that was there beforehand, though in this case they just buried it under the high altar and you can see it, along with much of the pagan Roman necropolis that surrounded it, when you visit if you arrange a visit to the underground excavations beforehand.   Best part is a tomb with votive decorations for Minerva as well as Horus.  Cheesy

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »

For all intents and purposes, yes.   By the time of the papacy's return from Avignon, the Constantinian basilica was in bad shape and one of the Popes decided to raze and completely rebuild it into the grandest church in Christendom (many people, probably rightly, howled about it, but to no avail).    It took decades to construct the current structure (one of the project managers was Michelangelo). 

Renaissance anyone?
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »

For all intents and purposes, yes.   By the time of the papacy's return from Avignon, the Constantinian basilica was in bad shape and one of the Popes decided to raze and completely rebuild it into the grandest church in Christendom (many people, probably rightly, howled about it, but to no avail).    It took decades to construct the current structure (one of the project managers was Michelangelo).  

Renaissance anyone?

Yup,  I believe the current basilica is cited as among the great buildings of Renaissance architecture.   Especially since the papacy was one of the leading patrons of the Renaissance (since it was the most powerful government in Italy and commanded enormous cultural weight), and since Leonardo and Michaelangelo were among those associated with its construction.  Cheesy

From wikipedia:

St Peter's was "the greatest creation of the Renaissance",[14] and a great number of architects contributed their skills to it. But at its completion, there was more of Michelangelo’s design than of any other architect, before or after him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_architecture
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:58:43 AM by MarkosC » Logged

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 09:21:36 AM »

It's also not a question of when St. Peter's was built but when the decorations in question were added.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

This

Forgive my sins.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »

I can't really answer the poll question.

My best guess is that it is a symbol of David's House, but that does not make it a symbol of Christ in particular.

Anyway, I am still skeptical about whether the symbol was actually accepted by the Davidic line of rulers as its symbol, since the earliest records of associations of it with David's house are in the rabbinical tradition, written after Christianity had already started and 1000+ years after David.

And even in the early Rabbinic and Byzantine traditions it isn't clear to me whether the Davidic seal was a hexagram or pentagram.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:24:39 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Maccabaeus

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 04:15:07 AM »

Um, why is your avatar an upside-down masonic pyramid?

First off, let's have a look at both of them, side by side, Eye to Eye so to speak...

Then, let's have look at some underlying definitions as to what it is above, and what is below:

+ WHAT IS ABOVE? +

Capstone [káp stohn]

1. top stone: a stone used at the top of a wall or another structure
2. high point: something considered the highest achievement.

- Encarta World English Dictionary

Capstone (kapstn) n.
1. The top stone of a structure or wall.
2. The crowning achievement or final stroke; the culmination or acme.

- American Heritage Dictionary

ANSWER: The Capstone

+ WHAT IS BELOW? +

Cornerstone
1. the basic part of something, on which everything depends.
2. the stone at one of the bottom corners of a new building, often put there during a special ceremony

- Macmillan Dictionary

Cornerstone (noun)
A fundamental principle or underlying concept: base, basis, foundation, fundament, fundamental, root, rudiment (often used in plural). See over/under.

- Thesaurus

Cornerstone (n)
The fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained; "the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture" [synonyms: basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone]

- WordNet 2.1 (2005)

ANSWER: The Cornerstone

You know the old adage, 'As above, so below'? Well, believe it or not, this is exactly what they were talking about, even way back then. You don't need to believe me, you just need to read your Bible, because that is the Book where I first discovered and learned about it.

Now, back to your original question, I sincerely hope that it has answered itself, but if not, then I'd advise to search the Bible for the words 'Capstone' and 'Cornerstone' and what you will find is an overwhelming number of references to the 'Cornerstone' and a mere two references to the 'Capstone' which can only be found in the NIV Bible, and no other. These two 'Capstone' references read as follows:

What are you, mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the Capstone to shouts of ‘God bless it! God bless it!’

- Zechariah 4:7 (New International Version)

Who dares despise the day of small things, since the seven eyes of the LORD that range throughout the earth will rejoice when they see the chosen Capstone in the hand of Zerubbabel?

- Zechariah 4:10 (New International Version)

Now, if one were to truly research ALL the writings of the Early Church Father concerning the Cornerstone and its meaning, one could quite easily write an entire book just on that subject, but I am in a sort-of-hurry, so I will simply show you the Biblical references to the Cornerstone as a comparison in quantity, rather than explaining what they heck they're actually talking about, because I'm still not completely sure either:

On what were its footings set, or who laid its Cornerstone?

- Job 38:5

The stone that the builders rejected has become the Cornerstone.

- Psalm 118:22

Our sons shall be as plants grown up in their youth, and our daughters as Cornerstones hewn after the fashion of a palace.

- Psalm 144:12

The princes of Zoan have become fools, the princes of Memphis are deluded. Those who are the Cornerstones of her tribes Have led Egypt astray.

- Isaiah 19:13

Thus says the Lord GOD, 'Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a tested stone, A precious Cornerstone for the foundation, firmly placed. He who believes in it will not be disturbed.'

- Isaiah 28:16

No rock will be taken from you for a Cornerstone, nor any stone for a foundation, for you will be desolate forever,” declares the LORD.

- Jeremiah 51:26

From Judah will come the Cornerstone, from him the tent peg, from him the battle bow, from him every ruler.

- Zechariah 10:4

Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: ‘The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes?'"

- Matthew 21:42

Haven’t you read this passage of Scripture: “‘The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone;

- Mark 12:10

Jesus looked directly at them and asked, “Then what is the meaning of that which is written: ‘The stone the builders rejected has become the Cornerstone?'"

- Luke 20:17

Jesus is the stone that was rejected by you, the builders, which has become the Cornerstone.

- Acts 4:11

Built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the Cornerstone,

- Ephesians 2:20

Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, 'The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.'

- 1 Peter 2:6

The answer to your question as to why my ikon is a 'masonic pyramid turned upside down' is simple. It is because the Bible isn't talking about the Eye above the Pyramid (a Capstone), it is talking about a Cornerstone, the Eye Below the Pyramid, instead. The greatest 'secret' to this symbol is easily solved, like a child's puzzle, simply by looking closely at the set of 13 stars directly above the Eagle's head on the Other side of the dollar. Do you see it? Has anyone told you about it? Well, just to let you know, those 13 little diabolical pentagrams have been perfectly arranged to create a six-pointed Star of David. If you can't see it yet, you need better glasses (or contacts).

Anyway, where the pyramid ends and the eye begins happens to be in near perfect proportion so that placing the two pyramid/triangles together forms a perfect fit without any overlap. By combining the Capstone with the Cornerstone, so that which is above is exactly like that which is below, thus creating what was already visible on the other side of the dollar bill directly the Eagle's Head. That's too simple, everyone screams! Even a child could figure that out, there's got to be more to it than just that!

Sorry, kid, the Founding Fathers were very familiar with alchemy and it is a known fact that back then, as still is today, the symbols for Earth, Water, Air, and Fire are all intricately connected to the Star of David both symbolically and otherwise. They were not secret Jews or Pagans, but had the basic common sense to realize that, if Jesus Christ was, is, and shall always be, King of the Jews, than the Star of David IS His symbol, for who else would ever dare claim to be their king.

'We have no king but Caesar!' the chief priests shouted.

- John 19:15

If you interested in more information about this let me know, because I don't want to anger anyone by posting URLs to my personal blogs. So, simply send me a message or find me on Facebook, I'm the only Judas Maccabaeus on their Website, for better or for worse.

God bless and Shalom.

FINAL REFERENCE-

Cornerstone
The cornerstone (or foundation stone) concept is derived from the first stone set in the construction of a masonry foundation, important since all other stones will be set in reference to this stone, thus determining the position of the entire structure.

Over time a cornerstone became a ceremonial masonry stone, or replica, set in a prominent location on the outside of a building, with an inscription on the stone...The rite of laying a cornerstone is an important cultural component...metaphorically in sacred architecture generally.

The origins of this tradition are vague but its presence in Judeo/Christian countries can be associated with one quotation from the Old Testament (Psalm 118:22) cited six times in the New Testament (Matthew 21:42,Mark 12:10, Luke 20:17, Acts 4:11, Ephesians 2:20 and 1 Peter 2:7).

- Cornerstone, Wikipedia

Maccabaeus

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 04:41:12 AM »

Many works on Christian iconography say that the six-pointed star is the Creator's Star or Star of Creation. Its six points stand for the six days of creation...

That might be the case as far as non-Orthodox religious art is concerned, but, as far as Orthodox iconography is concerned, I would be struggling to be able to come up with even one example of an icon which bears a six-pointed star. By contrast, eight-pointed stars, representing the eternal Eighth Day, are very, very frequent in icons.

Greetings and Blessings, my Christian brother. In general, you are correct about the Catholic Church utilizing the Star of David to far greater extent over the past 500 or so years. However, and I'm sorry I don't have the sources or references to really back up my claim, but I distinctly remember reading that the Star of David was, in fact, a common motif in Byzantine architecture and were to be found most especially in the Byzantine Churches scattered throughout the Middle East. I'm wildly guessing something like 600-1000 A.D.or something, but I WILL rummage through my stacks to find the little bugger of a reference to satisfy your demand for proof. I do have some proof I conjured up rather spur-of-the-moment, so please don't mock it-

Now even a total amateur like myself can tell such blatantly obvious Orthodox ikonography such is this, which is from the Saint Nikola church in Krusevo, Macedonia (Hexagram, Wikipedia)

And I also found this little gem in Wikipedia, totally unsourced/unreferenced but hey, it's better than nothing at all! It reads:

In Orthodox Christian churches, for example in Balkan countries, hexagrams can be found more often than in Roman Catholic churches.

- Hexagram, Wikipedia

Prove it, you retort! Sorry, sir it's only Wikipedia...

The only thing I can really offer is that I have yet to thoroughly research the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Star of David, but I can say that when I first started researching about it in relation to the Catholic Church, I kept finding more and more and more Churches, yes some of them decrepit and obscure, but those masons who built our churches, and no they were not Free(masons), seemed to get a kick out of leaving the Star of David around somewhere as their signature- 'The Hebrew was here...'

God bless and Shalom.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: