OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:27:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dating non-Orthodox (singles or hypothetically as singles)  (Read 1624 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »

Could be hypothetical, but let's assume a severe absence of attractive, age-appropriate, single Orthodox people. What kind of denominations would you consider for dating/a possible relationship with members of and why?  And how/when would you approach the matter?

I'm engaged to a Latin, although she is now considering Orthodoxy.

AFAIK in mixed marriages the one with weaker faith generaly tend to adopt the other's religion. So if your bride is not a practicing Catholic you have statistics on your side. Tongue
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »

If godsiblings cannot date, then I am curious if a godchild and biochild could date.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2012, 11:35:21 PM »

If godsiblings cannot date, then I am curious if a godchild and biochild could date.

Well, AFAIK, "dating" is not a concept even defined by the Church. And the term in this thread seems to me to be ambiguous. But marriage between godsiblings is forbidden, at least among us Byzantines. So if "dating" is with the objective of eventual marriage, presumably it would be pointless at best.

As for godchild and biochild, I think their marriage is forbidden between those too, but I'm not 100% sure.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:46 AM »

Well, AFAIK, "dating" is not a concept even defined by the Church. And the term in this thread seems to me to be ambiguous. But marriage between godsiblings is forbidden, at least among us Byzantines. So if "dating" is with the objective of eventual marriage, presumably it would be pointless at best.

As for godchild and biochild, I think their marriage is forbidden between those too, but I'm not 100% sure.

Same with the Serbs from what I have heard.
Ergib
O Lord according to Your mercy; not according to my sins.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »

I will date anyone with any faith who is willing to convert and PRACTICE Tewahedo Orthodoxy. If not willing to convert, then I would rather die single.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »

I dated yet another Christian girl this last Saturday, some bizarre Protestant cult or what not.  Basket case.

Juxtaposed, I have been talking to a girl online for a couple months now.  Just found out she is Hindu.  (Yes, it might have been obvious, but I have never seen her.  We're just friends and several thousand miles apart.)  All the same, if she is the same in person as she is in type I might be having a crisis of faith right now.

Oh Lord, fix thy people and bless thine inheritance!   Wink
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 11:35:51 AM »

Same with the Serbs from what I have heard.

By "Byzantines" I meant all EOs, as contrasted with OOs, not Greeks specifically. Sorry for any confusion.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: