OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 09:55:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dating non-Orthodox (singles or hypothetically as singles)  (Read 1946 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: September 12, 2012, 02:12:27 AM »

Could be hypothetical, but let's assume a severe absence of attractive, age-appropriate, single Orthodox people. What kind of denominations would you consider for dating/a possible relationship with members of and why?  And how/when would you approach the matter?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:14:37 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Pan Michał
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:22:20 AM »

Could be hypothetical, but let's assume a severe absence of attractive, age-appropriate, single Orthodox people. What kind of denominations would you consider for dating/a possible relationship with members of and why?  And how/when would you approach the matter?

I would do my very best not to mistake a partner for a bishop. If you are dating a someone, what are his/her beliefs is not one of the first questions. You can find a wrong EO person and you can find right atheist person.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 04:35:43 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 06:23:31 AM »

Shocked
when i first met the man i later married, we discussed faith first.
then we became friends. then we became more than friends.
this is a good and well used strategy.

make friends with men who are Christians.
then, if you start to take it further, you know already what is their faith.

i think it's normal to discuss your faith with all your friends.
i have friends from all religions and atheists, and so far none of them got offended about discussing faith.
you just do it sensitively.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:23:50 AM by mabsoota » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:23 AM »

I wouldn't discount people based solely on their current faith so long as they are not actively hostile to your faith (in contrast to an earlier post, I think that would generally rule out atheists). When I first met my wife I'd only just encountered Orthodoxy and I was interested but it was in a quite academic way. I certainly hadn't decided to convert. Rather than pushing me away she helped draw me into the Church. It wasn't solely or even mostly down to her (a monk I met a short time later was the real catalyst) but she certainly helped so I'm glad I wasn't turned away out of hand. Over a decade on and I still thank God I met her and ended up in the Church.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »

Obviously, the best partner would be an Orthodox. But it is not so easy, if you live in a place that there are very few Orthodox. And it becomes more difficult to meet an Orthodox who really practices the faith, who share similar interests, and finally, who is attractive for me and I for him. So, I know, I can't be closed for the relationship with non-Orthodox. Maybe one day he would convert... Wink

I think he has to be Christian. No-atheist, no-muslim or somethings else - it just couldn't work because of the lack of common basis. And as for Christian, I suppose a Catholic would be better than a Protestant, because in my opinion Catholicism is closer to Orthodoxy. Wedding only in the Orthodox Church and possible children baptised in the Orthodox Church. I know some mixed couples (Catholic - Orthodox), including my parents, and it always finishes in the same way - children are lost and after some year with difficulties convert to Orthodoxy.

And, I think, probably is better to date truly believer Catholic, than only nominal Orthodox

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »

If you already are dating a non-Orthodox partner: Bring him to church with you and see if he is ready to convert. If not, don't marry him.

If you don't have a partner yet: We are living in a globalised world now. If you don't have an Orthodox partner next door, consider finding one online, even from other countries, and eventually settling together in one place.

Orthodox- non-Orthodox couples usually fail. I know many examples. Many are divorced, others are formally still married, because of money or social pressure. A successful marriage is not something we can built by our own human force. We can only cooperate with Divine Grace in this matter. And therefore, both partners must be practising Orthodox Christians.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:29:09 AM by Gorazd » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »

Orthodox- non-Orthodox couples usually fail.

What country you are speaking of?

In Finland there are loads of Lutheran-EO marriages and I don't think the divorce rate in those relationships is anyhow exceptionally high.

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »

Orthodox- non-Orthodox couples usually fail.

What country you are speaking of?

In Finland there are loads of Lutheran-EO marriages and I don't think the divorce rate in those relationships is anyhow exceptionally high.

I am speaking of the couples I know, in several countries. I don't know any in Finland, but I do in Sweden.

How serious are the Orthodox partners in these marriages you mention? Do they seriously fast, for example? In my experience, that's extremely annoying for non-Orthodox partners and causes conflicts concerning the children, such as the non-Orthodox partner constantly giving them chocolate during even Great Lent etc.

Another problem is going to Church. If the Orthodox spouse goes with the children and the non-Orthodox spouse doesn't go at all, then often the children will want to stay home or do other activities with the non-Orthodox parent. Now probably that's not such a big issue in Finland, since many Lutherans like attending the Orthodox Church. There's even a Finnish Lutheran woman in Paris who attends the Rue Daru, because it's just like the Orthodox Church she knows from home.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 11:33:12 AM »

I agree with Gorazd.

If your ultimate plan is to marry and raise your children Orthodox, the best route is to find an Orthodox spouse.

Yes, it may still work out with a non-Orthodox spouse, however, it will NOT be easy, no matter what he/she says in the beginning.

Our holidays are different (especially if Old Calendar), our traditions are different, etc.

Make it easier on yourself and your kids, and stick with Orthodox spouses.

IF for some reason there are no single Orthodox men/women at your parish, be creative and go out and look for one.  Go to Orthodox functions, conventions, etc.   Ask your priest, perhaps he can speak to a neighboring priest, and inquire if there are any singles at his parish.

Even ask the old ladies...sometimes grandmas know other grandmas who have a friend with a single adult child, etc.

I wish you all the best.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »

I'm with Gorazd and Liza.

Any relationship is going to revolve around a mental checklist of what traits you want.  In my case, Orthodoxy will make up for one or two lost hotness points. 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »

...or just remain single.   Grin

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »

Christians.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »

Christians.

What's with them?
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »

Could be hypothetical, but let's assume a severe absence of attractive, age-appropriate, single Orthodox people. What kind of denominations would you consider for dating/a possible relationship with members of and why?  And how/when would you approach the matter?

I would do my very best not to mistake a partner for a bishop. If you are dating a someone, what are his/her beliefs is not one of the first questions. You can find a wrong EO person and you can find right atheist person.

If you want an EO wedding, the atheist had better be willing to be baptized...

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »

Wedding? Single people should not worry about wedding, but about that they're currently single. Smiley
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »

Wedding? Single people should not worry about wedding, but about that they're currently single. Smiley

If you are dating to find someone to marry, it makes no sense to me to date someone you can't possibly marry. If you are not dating to find someone to marry, then you must either be planning on:

1. Having non-marital sexual relations (which is forbidden by the Church, and thus not a goal for faithful Orthodox Christians.)

or

2. Permanent celibate dating (if that's what you want, go ahead; it doesn't sound appealing to me.)

or

3. Dating for a while, and then breaking up (Again, if that's what you want, go ahead, but it sounds like a lot of pointless pain to me.)

What am I missing?

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »

What am I missing?

That you worry about succession for your future empire, but don't even own a house yet.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:09:56 PM by Pan Michał » Logged
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »

What am I missing?

That you worry about succession for your future empire, but don't even own a house yet.

Your point is well-taken. But on the other hand, don't set out to build a house before making sure you can finish it, and all that.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 04:14:38 PM »

What am I missing?

Your point is well-taken. But on the other hand, don't set out to build a house before making sure you can finish it, and all that.

And the Church is opposed to yurts, tipis, and lean-toos.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »

I agree with Gorazd.

If your ultimate plan is to marry and raise your children Orthodox, the best route is to find an Orthodox spouse.

Yes, it may still work out with a non-Orthodox spouse, however, it will NOT be easy, no matter what he/she says in the beginning.

Our holidays are different (especially if Old Calendar), our traditions are different, etc.

IF for some reason there are no single Orthodox men/women at your parish, be creative and go out and look for one.  Go to Orthodox functions, conventions, etc.   Ask your priest, perhaps he can speak to a neighboring priest, and inquire if there are any singles at his parish.

Even ask the old ladies...sometimes grandmas know other grandmas who have a friend with a single adult child, etc.

I wish you all the best.
How does one ask old ladies without seeming desperate?

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »

I agree with Gorazd.

I wish you all the best.

Chances are if they see you single long enough, they'll ask YOU.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »

Orthonoob, I don't think you understand what I am trying to say, so let me elaborate on that:

The point in dating someone is to try to create something new. You meet a person, when you befriend her you are entering a whole new world. You learn about her needs, dreams, hopes. You see the richness of that person. Then you find out, that she also has her "dark side", in this case it is atheism. But you love the way she smiles, thinks, and so forth. So, you are dating that person, hoping that your emotions will evolve in something even greater. Maybe she will "convert" to christianity, and you will be able to marry and be happy with you. And maybe not, maybe your bond will not become so strong. And then you would have to break up, but without even trying you will never know. Many people here tend to dislike the way people label us. But aren't you (I'm not talking about you, Orthonoob, just about the thought pattern) labeling everyone else to "Orthodox" and "non-Orthodox"? We are all human beings, children of God, first and foremost. Jesus is said to be saying: "you see your brother, you see your God". This is the first principle in dating anyone - I think so, at least. Is she orthodox, catholic, evangelical, pagan, atheist - this is not the first question. Dating is about finding someone and trying to create something - maybe mature love that will lead to a marriage, maybe it will turn out to be just friendship, you never know. But it is unfair - to yourself - to scratch someone off the list because that person does not share the same, or even similar belief as you do, no matter if she is a great person or not. You do not give yourself chances - maybe that anti-christian (wo)man is your best candidate to be your spouse, you just need a little work? Or maybe not, maybe you will befriend her. This you never know, you need to try.

I do not take things like that lightly, because like I said - you are not dating a toy, but a human being. Still, trying to plan everything or assume anything is the best way to stay and have nothing at all. Dating is not getting married yet. It is more than friendship, because you create a whole new way of life with another person, and this is beautiful. You change for someone and someone tries to change for you. Will it go all good, or not? No idea. But this is life, this is what relationships are all about.

Everyone has marriage somewhere in the back of his head when dating a woman/man. But on the back of the head, not at the frontline.

That is what I am trying to say.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »

I agree with Gorazd.

I wish you all the best.

Can your mom or older relative ask, on your behalf?

You'd be amazed what mom's will do.  Smiley

—St. Isaac of Syria
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »

Orthonoob, I don't think you understand what I am trying to say, so let me elaborate on that:

The point in dating someone is to try to create something new. You meet a person, when you befriend her you are entering a whole new world. You learn about her needs, dreams, hopes. You see the richness of that person. Then you find out, that she also has her "dark side", in this case it is atheism. But you love the way she smiles, thinks, and so forth. So, you are dating that person, hoping that your emotions will evolve in something even greater. Maybe she will "convert" to christianity, and you will be able to marry and be happy with you. And maybe not, maybe your bond will not become so strong. And then you would have to break up, but without even trying you will never know. Many people here tend to dislike the way people label us. But aren't you (I'm not talking about you, Orthonoob, just about the thought pattern) labeling everyone else to "Orthodox" and "non-Orthodox"? We are all human beings, children of God, first and foremost. Jesus is said to be saying: "you see your brother, you see your God". This is the first principle in dating anyone - I think so, at least. Is she orthodox, catholic, evangelical, pagan, atheist - this is not the first question. Dating is about finding someone and trying to create something - maybe mature love that will lead to a marriage, maybe it will turn out to be just friendship, you never know. But it is unfair - to yourself - to scratch someone off the list because that person does not share the same, or even similar belief as you do, no matter if she is a great person or not. You do not give yourself chances - maybe that anti-christian (wo)man is your best candidate to be your spouse, you just need a little work? Or maybe not, maybe you will befriend her. This you never know, you need to try.

I do not take things like that lightly, because like I said - you are not dating a toy, but a human being. Still, trying to plan everything or assume anything is the best way to stay and have nothing at all. Dating is not getting married yet. It is more than friendship, because you create a whole new way of life with another person, and this is beautiful. You change for someone and someone tries to change for you. Will it go all good, or not? No idea. But this is life, this is what relationships are all about.

Everyone has marriage somewhere in the back of his head when dating a woman/man. But on the back of the head, not at the frontline.

That is what I am trying to say.

OK. I can accept that.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »

I wish quietmorning was here to comment, because from her experience it sounded very difficult.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
choy
Archon

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »

There should be a list of faiths that are a no-no.  Certain religions are hardline "you must convert to our faith or else".  When I was dating that was at the top of my list.  Especially those neo-Arian sects like the Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) in the Philippines (and they are now found everywhere Filipinos are found).  They are brainwashed into not even being open to leaving the faith (they are a cult by all standards) so there is no way one will convert out of the faith especially if the entire family is a part of the faith (the ministers have been known to pressure the family to pressure the person leaving, which includes emotional blackmail).

So yeah, there are certain religions to avoid.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »

There should be a list of faiths that are a no-no.  Certain religions are hardline "you must convert to our faith or else".  When I was dating that was at the top of my list.  Especially those neo-Arian sects like the Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) in the Philippines (and they are now found everywhere Filipinos are found).  They are brainwashed into not even being open to leaving the faith (they are a cult by all standards) so there is no way one will convert out of the faith especially if the entire family is a part of the faith (the ministers have been known to pressure the family to pressure the person leaving, which includes emotional blackmail).

I try to avoid Aztec women.  I want a girl who will steal my heart...not rip it out of my rib cage and give it to the sun-god.

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »

I wish you all the best.

Can your mom or older relative ask, on your behalf?

You'd be amazed what mom's will do.  Smiley

In my personal case (though not the only reason for the thread), no.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:14:07 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »

Christians.
That is a very broad category. Would you be ok with dating a Seventh Day Adventist then? Southern Baptist? Anglican?

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »

Christians.
That is a very broad category. Would you be ok with dating a Seventh Day Adventist then? Southern Baptist? Anglican?
It's on an individual basis, but in general, yes to all three.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »

Christians.
Why? Why would all three potentially be ok?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:58:53 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »

Taking in mind Pan Michal's (excuse the ordinary Latin L) good points, I'm changing my thinking a bit about who I might hypothetically "date." But a distinction has to be made, too, between different meanings of "dating."

If "dating" just means spending time with a woman and getting to know her, I don't have any prerequisites really.

If "dating" means having some kind of "serious," exclusive, romantic relationship (which it seems to me in a Christian context implies that marriage is at least possible), I'd be very careful about doing that with someone I might be impeded by the Church from marrying. (You wouldn't date a godsibling in this way, would you, Michal?)

And I don't think I'd marry anyone who wasn't:

A. Orthodox or willing to become Orthodox

or

B. Catholic.

But I reserve the right to change my mind on that, especially in favor of a high-church conservative Protestant.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »

Christians.
Why? Why would all three potentially be ok?

They believe in Christ, and why add unnecessary burdens when the church allows it?

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »

I wish quietmorning was here to comment, because from her experience it sounded very difficult.

My sister is EO, and she married an RC.

I can tell you first hand it is very, very difficult.

I am the godmother of all four kids, who have an RC father....I can tell you, it's very, very difficult.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »

They believe in Christ, and why add unnecessary burdens when the church allows it?

Children growing up hearing conflicting religious teachings in their own home while one of their parents doesn't go to church with the rest of the family is a burden. An unnecessary burden, everyone's situation is unique so I can't say unnecessary, but still a burden that one should be aware of and look to either eliminate if possible or minimize as much as possible.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »

Children growing up hearing conflicting religious teachings in their own home while one of their parents doesn't go to church with the rest of the family is a burden. An unnecessary burden, everyone's situation is unique so I can't say unnecessary, but still a burden that one should be aware of and look to either eliminate if possible or minimize as much as possible.

Well my hope would be that they'd convert.

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »

I am the godmother of all four kids, who have an RC father....I can tell you, it's very, very difficult.

Do you feel comfortable sharing examples of the difficulties? This is relevant to a situation near and dear to me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:27:00 PM by tuesdayschild » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 02:17:04 AM »

How serious are the Orthodox partners in these marriages you mention? Do they seriously fast, for example? In my experience, that's extremely annoying for non-Orthodox partners and causes conflicts concerning the children, such as the non-Orthodox partner constantly giving them chocolate during even Great Lent etc.

I don't know any of them personally but they are pretty common in Finland. I think they can work if both parties of the relationship are normal, polite Human beings

Now probably that's not such a big issue in Finland

Correct. And the Orthodox can attend Lutheran church from time to time just out of reciprocation.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:17:16 AM by Alpo » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 04:33:26 AM »

Could the EO Church make it a bit easier on RC's who are married to EO? I know that the Coptic Orthodox do.
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 04:49:22 AM »

If "dating" means having some kind of "serious," exclusive, romantic relationship (which it seems to me in a Christian context implies that marriage is at least possible), I'd be very careful about doing that with someone I might be impeded by the Church from marrying. (You wouldn't date a godsibling in this way, would you, Michal?)

I wouldn't, pathologies are a no-no. Smiley
Pan Michał
Elder

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 04:55:26 AM »

There should be a list of faiths that are a no-no.  Certain religions are hardline "you must convert to our faith or else".  When I was dating that was at the top of my list.  Especially those neo-Arian sects like the Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of Christ) in the Philippines (and they are now found everywhere Filipinos are found).  They are brainwashed into not even being open to leaving the faith (they are a cult by all standards) so there is no way one will convert out of the faith especially if the entire family is a part of the faith (the ministers have been known to pressure the family to pressure the person leaving, which includes emotional blackmail).

Come on, Romeo and Juliet had much more bigger problems, than some miserable sects - i.e., their families Smiley. Although I get your point.

Btw., sounds like Jehovah's Witnesses, in a way.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:55:56 AM by Pan Michał » Logged
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »

What is a godsibling?

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »

Could be hypothetical, but let's assume a severe absence of attractive, age-appropriate, single Orthodox people. What kind of denominations would you consider for dating/a possible relationship with members of and why?  And how/when would you approach the matter?

I'm engaged to a Latin, although she is now considering Orthodoxy.

Forgive my sins.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »

What is a godsibling?

Someone who shares your godparents (or one of them, I guess.)

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: