Author Topic: A New Phase in My Journey  (Read 2725 times)

Offline CatherineBrigid

• Me on Facebook... Go ahead, add me! :)
A New Phase in My Journey
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:43:34 PM »
 ;D Well, I am on a whole new path of this journey of mine, LOL.  As y'all may recall (or not, LOL), I've been reading and studying on Orthodoxy for the past year or so and over the past several months, really increased my studying and learning.  

Now I am free to tell about a very key piece of the puzzle that I couldn't mention before.  One of the Anglican priests I know [NOT from my home church], who comes from an Orthodox background, is being ordained as an Orthodox priest and will be starting his own parish in November following his ordination (couldn't say anything before until it was officially a done deal and such in terms of being an official "go").  I have prayerfully been considering over the last several months (probably about 6 months now, thereabouts) if God wants me and family to be a part of it, or whether He would have us (a) wait or (b) be a part the congregation I am visiting on Sunday, or somewhere else altogether...  I am still in the process of discerning... but about 3 weeks ago, Father _______ started holding catechism classes for those who are praying about joining this brand-new parish-to-be.  Needless to say, I went, along with several other people who are likewise praying about where God wants us and what He wants us to do.  I have over time pretty much come to the conclusion that it's not a question of "if" I become Orthodox, but more like, "WHEN" and, specifically, "WHERE," LOLOLOL.

So anyway, I guess my update is that I'm now more officially on the path now than I was before.  Praying about God's timing and about his will for us.  We (fledgling parish-in-formation folks) may be able to be chrismated as soon as november, same day as the ordination, or may wait until the traditional Easter time... depending on who is ready when and how God leads. But, yep... I'm most definitely on the way there, praying each step and listening......

Edited to add, I know it may look like we are randomly following a priest or being "poached" from our congregation, LOL but that's definitely not the case... I was learning about this Orthodox stuff way before this ever happened... and it's more like, "here's the perfect opportune time to jump in and do it, if God is leading thus" rather than, "Oh no, a priest is leaving, we gotta follow!" LOL.  Like I said, still discerning as to the WHEN and WHERE parts, LOL... so wherever God wants us, is where we will be.  Plus, on a practical level, it makes sense too because in many ways, he's already like a spiritual father and there's already that level of trust there.  But if God says "wait" or "go to __________ instead," that's what we'll do.  
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:51:10 PM by CatherineBrigid »
http://www.SNMOC.org
(St. Nicholas of Myra WR parish)

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of his han

Offline Rufus

• OC.net guru
  • Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.
Re: A New Phase in My Journey
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
;D Well, I am on a whole new path of this journey of mine, LOL.  As y'all may recall (or not, LOL), I've been reading and studying on Orthodoxy for the past year or so and over the past several months, really increased my studying and learning.  

Now I am free to tell about a very key piece of the puzzle that I couldn't mention before.  One of the Anglican priests I know [NOT from my home church], who comes from an Orthodox background, is being ordained as an Orthodox priest and will be starting his own parish in November following his ordination (couldn't say anything before until it was officially a done deal and such in terms of being an official "go").  I have prayerfully been considering over the last several months (probably about 6 months now, thereabouts) if God wants me and family to be a part of it, or whether He would have us (a) wait or (b) be a part the congregation I am visiting on Sunday, or somewhere else altogether...  I am still in the process of discerning... but about 3 weeks ago, Father _______ started holding catechism classes for those who are praying about joining this brand-new parish-to-be.  Needless to say, I went, along with several other people who are likewise praying about where God wants us and what He wants us to do.  I have over time pretty much come to the conclusion that it's not a question of "if" I become Orthodox, but more like, "WHEN" and, specifically, "WHERE," LOLOLOL.

So anyway, I guess my update is that I'm now more officially on the path now than I was before.  Praying about God's timing and about his will for us.  We (fledgling parish-in-formation folks) may be able to be chrismated as soon as november, same day as the ordination, or may wait until the traditional Easter time... depending on who is ready when and how God leads. But, yep... I'm most definitely on the way there, praying each step and listening......

Edited to add, I know it may look like we are randomly following a priest or being "poached" from our congregation, LOL but that's definitely not the case... I was learning about this Orthodox stuff way before this ever happened... and it's more like, "here's the perfect opportune time to jump in and do it, if God is leading thus" rather than, "Oh no, a priest is leaving, we gotta follow!" LOL.  Like I said, still discerning as to the WHEN and WHERE parts, LOL... so wherever God wants us, is where we will be.  Plus, on a practical level, it makes sense too because in many ways, he's already like a spiritual father and there's already that level of trust there.  But if God says "wait" or "go to __________ instead," that's what we'll do.  

Well, glory to God!

Although I don't believe you really loled all those times.

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »

Well, glory to God!

Although I don't believe you really loled all those times.

I actually LOL quite a lot. ;)

and until we meet again,

Offline soderquj

• Transfiguration Greek Orthodox church
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Denver
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:04:50 AM »
Congrats, if you look at the  Evangelical Orthodox church coming into the Orthodox church (Antiochian I believe) you will see that your situation is not unique.

Looks like your have joined the race (As St. Paul calls our journey).
O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:11:33 AM »
Congrats, if you look at the  Evangelical Orthodox church coming into the Orthodox church (Antiochian I believe) you will see that your situation is not unique.

Thank you!  Unless God leads otherwise sometime between now & then, I'll be part of a ROCOR parish.  :)

and until we meet again,

Offline Manalive

• Иоанн
  • Elder
  • It is later than we think.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:04:07 AM »

Thank you!  Unless God leads otherwise sometime between now & then, I'll be part of a ROCOR parish.  :)

Welcome to the Marines of Orthodoxy!  ;D

;)

I'm glad to hear of your good news. Glory be to God.
"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
Dear CatherineBrigid,

I'm glad to hear from you!  I hope this will be fruitful for everyone involved.  Keep us updated. 

Love, elephant

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what kind of parish/what jurisdiction will be formed?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »

It will be a Western Rite ROCOR parish.  And, if I recall correctly, it will be the only Western Rite ROCOR parish in Georgia, so far (there are Eastern Rite ROCOR parishes, as I understand it...but this'll be first Western Rite). 

and until we meet again,

Offline Agabus

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 10:33:30 AM »

It will be a Western Rite ROCOR parish.  And, if I recall correctly, it will be the only Western Rite ROCOR parish in Georgia, so far (there are Eastern Rite ROCOR parishes, as I understand it...but this'll be first Western Rite). 
Very cool.

Do you know which "use" it will be? I'm not very familiar with ROCOR's Western Rite, other than that it exists.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
That, I don't know yet.  You know as much as I do, LOL. :) It's ALLLL new to me, so I'm learning as I go. :)

and until we meet again,

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »
Just noticed the calendar... exactly ONE MONTH from today, I'll be Chrismated and my daughter baptized (along with two other families in our brand-new parish), Lord willing!  ;D

and until we meet again,

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 02:59:03 PM »
Just noticed the calendar... exactly ONE MONTH from today, I'll be Chrismated and my daughter baptized (along with two other families in our brand-new parish), Lord willing!  ;D

Glory be to God! (I really appreciate and adore your enthusiasm and happiness).

Offline Agabus

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 03:31:14 PM »
How old is the daughter?

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
She's 11. :) Was never baptized as a baby and this year has been asking about it.

and until we meet again,

Offline Agabus

• Archon
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 04:34:37 PM »
She's 11. :) Was never baptized as a baby and this year has been asking about it.
It is a perfect opportunity. :-)

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
It is a perfect opportunity. :-)

Yes it is... God is so good. :)

and until we meet again,

Offline Tommelomsky

• Podvig
  • Elder
  • Glory to God in all things!
    • Russian Orthodox Church in Norway
  • Jurisdiction: ROC
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »
I will pray for your journey to be a good one and can relate to what it is like, as i am on a journey too (one tiny norwegian in a russian-orthodox dominated parish, heheh).

God is good. +Glory to God in all things+
The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 01:30:03 AM »
Congrats!
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »

There are no WR parishes in GA. I'm also in GA, Catherine, and would love to visit at a WR parish. Where in GA? Don't have to be too specific if you don't want to be, I understand. But, for the record, I'm in the NW corner: Rome.
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
Exactly, Benjamin.... our parish will be the first, and so far only, WR ROCOR parish in Georgia. :) Very exciting!!!!! I will send you a PM with the link to our website; I can tell you it is in the Kennesaw/Woodstock area.  Our first services will be the third weekend in November, but I don't have details yet. :) Such an adventure!

and until we meet again,

Offline Benjamin the Red

• Recovering Calvinist
  • OC.net guru
  • Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »
Exactly, Benjamin.... our parish will be the first, and so far only, WR ROCOR parish in Georgia. :) Very exciting!!!!! I will send you a PM with the link to our website; I can tell you it is in the Kennesaw/Woodstock area.  Our first services will be the third weekend in November, but I don't have details yet. :) Such an adventure!

Thanks so much! This is very exciting to me and other WR lovers up here in Rome. We're currently working on establishing a Byzantine rite parish through St. Elizabeth's in Woodstock, and actually visited them last Sunday. Glad to hear you all will be so close to us! Definitely will visit!

Got your PM, too. Website looks great! God grant you all many years!
"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy

Offline CatherineBrigid

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »
Very cool! Please keep in touch; really looking forward to having y'all visit! :)  And I will DEFINITELY post pictures of the ordination/chrismation weekend... it will be so cool... the bunch of us will be traveling up there to South Carolina as Anglican/Catholic/etc...and coming back together as not only brand-new Russian Orthodox, but also as a brand-new parish.  How special will that be?! Definitely will be a weekend to remember... the first steps on the journey of a lifetime. :)

and until we meet again,

Offline Margarita

• One
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
Such beautiful excitement!!!  Many many years to y'all! 

I'm looking forward to the pictures and hearing more of the journal! 
+Glory+

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »
Many Years!
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth