OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:20:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Permanent Salvation ... Oh, wait a minute....  (Read 408 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: September 11, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »

A wicked imagination plays tricks.

I am very happy to be: loved by God and saved by Him.
I am saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved.

If you are already saved, how will you be saved?  Is that a teaching of the GOC/HOTCA or the Protestant in you talking?   Huh
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »

If you are already saved, how will you be saved?  Is that a teaching of the GOC/HOTCA or the Protestant in you talking?   Huh

What are you talking about?  This has been told to me by numerous Orthodox theologians and pastors.  Fr. Hopko even did a podcast on it not so long ago.

You're just looking for something to pick on Maria about but you're falling flat on your face. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:47:10 PM »

If you are already saved, how will you be saved?  Is that a teaching of the GOC/HOTCA or the Protestant in you talking?   Huh

What are you talking about?  This has been told to me by numerous Orthodox theologians and pastors.  Fr. Hopko even did a podcast on it not so long ago.

You're just looking for something to pick on Maria about but you're falling flat on your face.  

No.  There's a thread on the subject.      
Can we clearly define the nature of salvation?

Maria makes a bold statement by saying she has already been saved and she will be saved where salvation hasn't been guaranteed for anyone.  If Orthodox theologians and pastors have told you otherwise, maybe you took Fr. Hopko's podcast out of context?   Huh
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:47:58 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:00:39 PM »

While I can't speak for her, the sentiment expressed by Maria is entirely Orthodox.  In no way is it meant to express a guarantee (as per the classic Protestant "Once saved, always saved" statement).  It's an expression of hope, that salvation is a process and not some one time event.

We are saved by the Incarnation (cf St. Athanasius).  We are being saved by participation in the sacramental life of the Church.  And we hope that we will be saved when we face the Judge at the end.

Again, we all know you don't like Maria.  I'm not particularly fond of her either, to be honest.  But there's nothing wrong with what she posted.  

And once I figure out which one of Fr. Hopko's podcasts addresses this, I will post a link to it so you can see for yourself if I took his words out of context.  I sincerely do not think I have nor do I have a track record for doing so.  If anything, I'm overly-scrupulous about context.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:01:50 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:03:38 PM »

We are saved by the Incarnation (cf St. Athanasius).  We are being saved by participation in the sacramental life of the Church.  And we hope that we will be saved when we face the Judge at the end.
Thank you for clarifying Schultz, I like this alot better than the "I am saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved".

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlCze3ZFjA

Enough said!  Grin

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:42:09 AM »

Thank you for clarifying Schultz, I like this alot better than the "I am saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved".

Yes, I like Schultz's answer too. But I also don't mind the other.

As to the question of the OP, the answer is simply that Orthodoxy is not afraid of divine paradox. How can we be saved while still being saved? The answer is simply to keep struggling to work out our own salvation while maintaining faith in the eternally enduring mercy of God.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »

It seems like every time I try to ascend Jacob's ladder, I happen to find the rung that somebody spilled oil on.... and that somebody was me.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: