OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 11:11:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New rule on obscenity  (Read 3067 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »

Que?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »

If we can find a way to filter Isa's post directly anytime anal sex is brought up in a discussion, that would be the best thing ever.
I'm soooo going to need context on this.

The hilarity starts here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,46830.0.html

He's made plenty of heated vehement arguments over anal sex on this board.

Yah and there is a rule on that.  Being fair & balanced & all shouldn't you have posted that too? Or is there only 1 side to every story ?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »

Wait huh? Why was Isa moderated anyway?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »

Wait huh? Why was Isa moderated anyway?

What exactly would you like explained...because I actually said a lot.  As for Isa, you are going to have to take your issue with the moderator who moderated him in the instance you are referring to.

OC.net appeals pathway: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,43810.0.html

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »

The fact your post was a little incomprehensible? Rule on what? I have no idea what you are even talking about. Start over again.

And BTW I never had an issue with him being moderated, so I appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Furthermore my question was as to why because when I look through his post history, I don't see the instance where he got put on Moderated status. Just curious what post triggered it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »

The fact your post was a little incomprehensible? Rule on what? I have no idea what you are even talking about. Start over again.

And BTW I never had an issue with him being moderated, so I appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Furthermore my question was as to why because when I look through his post history, I don't see the instance where he got put on Moderated status. Just curious what post triggered it.

1. To start over I would prefer to talk to you via PM.

2.  I am sorry I was incomprehensible.  Typing from my phone.

3.  Unless Isa is Houdini, he is not in this thread at all.  Hence why I am confused. 

I would really prefer to talk to you one on one with all of this

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »

Sure, not a problem. I'll wait for your PM.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »

Sure, not a problem. I'll wait for your PM.

Awesome! Thanks!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »

I just gotta know, why the exception for "BS?"

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »

Because it's taken on a meaning in society that is now totally separated from the profanity it represents. "BS" is also deemed generally acceptable in polite conversation.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »

Totally misread that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:13:04 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2012, 01:05:30 AM »

Perhaps. I'd say something similar is happening to "WTF" at least in younger crowds I'm with. Of course, most young folks I know don't mind when I just say the f-word, so I could be offbase there.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »

Perhaps. I'd say something similar is happening to "WTF" at least in younger crowds I'm with. Of course, most young folks I know don't mind when I just say the f-word, so I could be offbase there.
Yeah, we old folk still know what the f-word means.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »

Because it's taken on a meaning in society that is now totally separated from the profanity it represents. "BS" is also deemed generally acceptable in polite conversation.

Sorry, that sounds like capitulating or rationalizing.
Screwtape would be so proud.

(1) Some folks will type, "That is a bunch of bull."

Is that usage okay either in the public and/or private forums?
At least the "s" abbreviation has been dropped.

(2) Is "crap" or "scat" acceptable in the private and/or public forums?

(3) What about "SOB?" Is that one acceptable in the private and/or public forums?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:47:51 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »

Some folks will type, "That is a bunch of bull."

Is that usage okay either in the public or private forums?

Is "crap" or "scat" acceptable in the private and public forums?

But it's also implied.  Saying something is a bunch of "bull" makes no sense unless one continues the thought. 

Personally, I prefer to use the term "malarkey"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »

(1) Some folks will type, "That is a bunch of bull."

Is that usage okay either in the public and/or private forums?

(2) Is "crap" or "scat" acceptable in the private and/or public forums?

(3) What about "SOB?" Is that one acceptable in the private and/or public forums?

Oh HS!

There is nothing wrong with the English language. I understand the mods' rationale although I disagree with it. But hey, you can't convert people from Puritanism overnight.

So the strong must bear the weak in this regard around here.

There are not "bad" or "good" words.

Blasphemy sure including its myriad of euphemisms. But good ol' English that was not deemed so "dirty" not that long ago? NBD.

Suggesting the mods are under the influence of Satan here is more obscene than my one of my favorite four letter good ol' English words that Australians use without a bat of an eye.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

Please check out the rule that was just posted on the Rules section (and I am also copying below for your convenience). Please be beware. Second Chance

* Obscenity, Blasphemy, Profanity, et al. -- Obscenities and blasphemies are not permitted anywhere on the forum. To accommodate strong polemics on the Private Forum, we will permit a few of the stronger scatological (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scatological) profanities there. These words, however, will be permitted ONLY on the Private Forum; their use on the Public Forum is still forbidden. Other words such as "damn" and "hell", when used as expletives, will be permitted on all Public and Private boards as long as they're not used as part of a blasphemy. We reserve the right to moderate some language not on the list if it is way outside the bounds of common decency. If you're not sure about the appropriateness of a word or expression, please PM a moderator before using it on the forum.

Except for "BS," all acronyms (STFU, WTF, etc.), abbreviations (F-off, etc.), and semi-censored versions (F**K, BULLS**T, etc.) of forbidden words are also forbidden.  Quite simply, harsh, obscene, or foul language is not appropriate for an Orthodox Christian message board.  Our Lord is present even in the forums and we don't feel like hosting your foul language on our servers--free expression is one thing, but on a Christian message board you will have to act like a Christian even in a theoretically unmoderated sub-section of the board.

I imagine this policy is applicable even when quoting the current Vice President of the United States, smok'n Joe Biden?

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2012, 01:36:26 AM »

Would you rather we capitulate to you and your prudishness, Maria? Outside of blasphemy, what absolute standards are there by which we can say some words are absolutely good and some are absolutely bad?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2012, 02:13:49 AM »

Quite simply, harsh, obscene, or foul language is not appropriate for an Orthodox Christian message board.

"I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as [CENSORED FOR OBSCENITY: APOSTLE PAUL IS WARNED FOR 40 DAYS] so that I may gain Christ..."

Wink
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:15:37 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2012, 02:38:10 AM »

Quite simply, harsh, obscene, or foul language is not appropriate for an Orthodox Christian message board.

"I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as [CENSORED FOR OBSCENITY: APOSTLE PAUL IS WARNED FOR 40 DAYS] so that I may gain Christ..."

Wink
What version of the Bible are you quoting?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2012, 03:20:11 AM »

Wink
What version of the Bible are you quoting?

OCNRDPMFV

The OC.Net Revised Donatist Potty Mouth-Free Version

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2012, 02:50:09 PM »

I am going to lock this one up as I fear some are inching toward disputing modetorial action. Any further suggestons should be provided through PM to the moderator of your choice. Thanks, Carl Kraeff

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: