OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 03:28:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best chanting album  (Read 2225 times) Average Rating: 0
TruthSeeker

OC.net

« on: November 06, 2005, 12:16:50 AM »

Whats your opinion on the best chanting works in English?  Choir or single.

Looking for something really spiritually "moving".

NULL
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 02:02:29 AM »

Whats your opinion on the best chanting works in English?ÂÂ  Choir or single.

Looking for something really spiritually "moving".

Saint Vladimir's just came out with two new CD's that are excellent.  One is called 'Vigil' and the other 'Chants'.  I personally recommend both of them.  You can obtain them from the St Vlad's bookstore.  Log on to the bookstores website.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Timos
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 09:42:43 AM »

Thy Cross, we Adore by the Romeiko Ensemble is extremely Byzantine with full blown ison and its amazing. At then end of the CD, they chant "Thy Cross" Ton Stavron sou in english, greek ,romanian, arabic, french, slavic, and even Latin in Gregorian chanting. The rest of the CD is all traditionally Byzantine.

Another good one is Paraklesis to St. Nektarios by a monastic community(?) I think in the States. I'll provide the link a littlr bit later on today of where you can purchase it.

and of course the Eikona CD's are always good.
TruthSeeker

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 08:14:42 PM »

thanx guys.....and MAN have your ever heard this women chant!!!

Scroll down and hear the "sample"  called "Heavenly King".

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?p=byzantine+chanting+in+english&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&u=www.ancienthymns.com/&w=byzantine+chanting+english&d=JJzSzGFULtz1&icp=1&.intl=us

I would like to find a solo male chanter with an equally clear in incredible voice.....and suggestions?

NULL
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 10:03:48 PM »

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?p=byzantine+chanting+in+english&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&u=www.ancienthymns.com/&w=byzantine+chanting+english&d=JJzSzGFULtz1&icp=1&.intl=us

I would like to find a solo male chanter with an equally clear in incredible voice.....and suggestions?

She is impressive.  I did notice a few dipthongs and modern-like inflections, but she is probably one of the better voices in English singing Byzantine Chant out there.  We sing the (I think Troparion) "Today He Who Upon the Cross.." on Holy Thursday (and it appears at a few more places during the Holy Week service to this same tone.

Actually, I would say that I've several men chanters with excellent clear voices.  I think a voice such as her's in liturgical chant is actually rarer, as a) women tend to sound screechier when they get into their higher range and b) traditionally, women didn't sing in church (e.g. chant or choral) until <200 years ago.
SaintShenouti

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 10:25:29 PM »

"Fountain of Immortality" -Valaam Brotherhood choir

Absolutely incredible.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 10:59:59 PM »

I think a voice such as her's in liturgical chant is actually rarer, as a) women tend to sound screechier when they get into their higher range and b) traditionally, women didn't sing in church (e.g. chant or choral) until <200 years ago.

Man, just because you're not used to hearing women with trained voices....Any chanter, male or female, with proper vocal technique will sound clear and never screechy. There are going to be arbitrary tone preferences, for sure (I like a warmer voice) but women are "tending to sound screechy" in your experience, then I'd venture to guess that they arent trained for church chanting or regular vocal use.Smiley

~the female musician vocalist

Qui cantat, bis orat
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 11:44:49 PM »

Wow, that sounds awesome. I'll buy that one for sure. Anyone else with links to purchase good byzantine style cd's in english? I'm in the mood to go on a little spending spree... Cheesy

Also, it's not byzantine but the "Sacred Treasures" series of cds sung in church slavonic is about the best I have heard. There are 3 cd's I believe to that series.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 11:47:29 PM »

Man, just because you're not used to hearing women with trained voices....Any chanter, male or female, with proper vocal technique will sound clear and never screechy. There are going to be arbitrary tone preferences, for sure (I like a warmer voice) but women are "tending to sound screechy" in your experience, then I'd venture to guess that they arent trained for church chanting or regular vocal use.Smiley

~the female musician vocalist

Defined "trained" then.  I mean in comparison to your average female church choir singer.

Re: "Fountain of Immortality" -Valaam Brotherhood choir

Hmmmm...if it's the same one I'm thinking of, while very listenable, their accents on their English are horrible.  Matter of fact, our current  choir director tried to teach them better and they wouldn't listen.
TruthSeeker

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 11:54:25 PM »

Wow, that sounds awesome. I'll buy that one for sure. Anyone else with links to purchase good byzantine style cd's in english? I'm in the mood to go on a little spending spree... Cheesy

Also, it's not byzantine but the "Sacred Treasures" series of cds sung in church slavonic is about the best I have heard. There are 3 cd's I believe to that series.

Try to search for them...I am very interested. Slavonic is really a great language for chanting...very mystical indeed.

NULL
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 02:38:16 AM »

Try to search for them...I am very interested. Slavonic is really a great language for chanting...very mystical indeed.

Yes, the more 'mystical' the better. Anyone else, Bueller, Bueller....?

---Darth Nacho

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 09:24:58 AM »

http://www.liturgica.com/cart/search.jsp?hostname=null

Liturgica.com is a really good place to test the waters so to speak. You can listen to music samples of Byzantine, Russian, Gregorian, coptic, Syrian etc liturgical music and buy offline as well.
BJohnD

St. John of Damascus, pray for us.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 03:58:39 PM »

"Fountain of Immortality" -Valaam Brotherhood choir

Absolutely incredible.

I totally agree.  I bought this about 6 weeks ago and it instantly became my driving-to-church music.

BJohnD
TruthSeeker

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »

I am getting the Valaam cd.

Any suggestions on a solo man artist in english?

NULL
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 05:10:43 PM »

I don't know if he has produces any CDs by Dr. Alexander Lingas is the best non-monastic chanter I've ever heard in person. 
SaintShenouti

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 05:21:37 PM »

An awesome, awesome, awesome CD is Rachmaninov: The Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom Op.31.  Protodeacon Peter Scorer has a voice that resounds what I see as the "industry standard." 

Timos, interesting avatar.  Are you an Alexandrian-Greek?  Followers of Byzantine succession.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 06:14:37 PM »

An awesome, awesome, awesome CD is Rachmaninov: The Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom Op.31.ÂÂ  Protodeacon Peter Scorer has a voice that resounds what I see as the "industry standard."ÂÂ  

Timos, interesting avatar.ÂÂ  Are you an Alexandrian-Greek?ÂÂ  Followers of Byzantine succession.

I think I've heard this before.  It sounded great, but from a practicalk standpoint should never be done since it is soooooooo sloooooooooow.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: