OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:27:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God did not answer the prayer of Saul?  (Read 1146 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: October 07, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »

1Sm28:6 And when Saul enquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

Why did God not to answer the prayer of Saul? Why did God still not help and save Saul after Saul pray to Him?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 02:31:33 PM by walter1234 » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:24:10 PM »

Same reason why most of our prayers go unanswered. God only answers our prayers when we come to Him with the proper disposition and when/if He believes that it will be most beneficial for us. Saul probably lacked in one of these areas, either he lacked the disposition or God did not think that answering Saul's prayer would be for the best.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »

Probably because Saul was full of hatred and disobedience. He did not listen to God's commandments and opposed David, the new king chosen by God.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »

Same reason why most of our prayers go unanswered. God only answers our prayers when we come to Him with the proper disposition and when/if He believes that it will be most beneficial for us. Saul probably lacked in one of these areas, either he lacked the disposition or God did not think that answering Saul's prayer would be for the best.

God did not answer the prayer of Saul and allow him to be killed and destroyed by his enemies, e.g.Philistines. This is the most beneficial for Saul.... Shocked Shocked

How come?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:28:34 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »

Probably because Saul was full of hatred and disobedience. He did not listen to God's commandments and opposed David, the new king chosen by God.

If we are do not love God, full of hatred and disobedience on Him. God will not answer out prayer.

It seems that  God will only answer our prayers and save us from sufferings and dangers if we love him and obey his will and order. How can a loving God act like that?   Shocked
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:28:48 AM by walter1234 » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:37:41 AM »

If we are do not love God, full of hatred and disobedience on Him. God will not answer out prayer.

It seems that  God will only answer our prayers and save us from sufferings and dangers if we love him and obey his will and order. How can a loving God act like that?   Shocked

Do you think that a parent who refuses to give a child everything they want is not loving? Should I grant everything my children want now to spare them suffering, even though I know in the long run this will result in something worse? What if I can see that preventing one child's suffering might entail much greater suffering for others? Would I then be unloving if I refused to give them what they want?
Love is not always about being soft and nice. Sometimes real love needs to wield a stick.

James
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:38:03 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »

How can a loving God act like that?
Because by our sin we separate ourselves from God. Not the other way around. The choice is ours based on our disobedience.

We can not smack God in the face then get angry because he holds His promises true.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »

How can a loving God act like that?
Because by our sin we separate ourselves from God. Not the other way around. The choice is ours based on our disobedience.

We can not smack God in the face then get angry because he holds His promises true.

PP

This is more sensible. Saul turned away from God. He did not have any true repentence, rely on his mercy , return back to God, get away from his sins
He still alienate himself from God, rely on himself and later the familiar spirit( Satan and devil) to deal with his enemies,Philistines . His sin put him to death.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 12:17:27 PM by walter1234 » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

1Sm28:6 And when Saul enquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

Why did God not to answer the prayer of Saul? Why did God still not help and save Saul after Saul pray to Him?

That is God's business, and Saul's business alone, it is not our's to contemplate.  In our own lives, God may chose to acquiesce and answer a specific request for us, and He may chose to respond that, "My Grace is sufficient, my power is demonstrated in your weakness" like He responded to the good father Paul.  Think of it, Apostle Paul was out in the world ministering to the sick, healing them by the Holy Spirit of spiritual and physical ailments, and yet when he himself fell ill suddenly it seemed that God had abandoned him?  No.  God never abandons ANYONE so long as the breath of life remains in them, and even beyond that.  We tend to forget something, we are not self-sustaining beings.  We ALL depend upon God's Divine power to create and sustain every single moment of our existence, physical and spiritual.  If we live on for eternity as spiritual beings, either in the Grace of the Kingdom, or in the punishment of Hell, none-the-less this remains a miracle of the power of God.  The Devil himself only continues to exist by the power of God through His Divine mercy to allow for all of His Creation to exist, flaws and all.  So when we think we are abandoned, neglected, or ignored, that is just our own sense of pride, of self-importance, of ego.  God has never left us, because we are still existing by His Grace.  So isn't that enough sometimes? I know from my own inward pain that sometimes it doesn't feel like enough, but that doesn't change the ontological reality that it is.

Prayer is not meant or God to hear us, God always can and does this, rather, prayer is for US to listen to God and learn to yield, to submit, to accept.

I wrote a song yesterday, the chorus goes, "We have to let it flow, let it grow, and sometimes you know, let it go."

Such is prayer Smiley

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »

The protestant and catholic also think that God will never abandon the sinners who claim to love unconditionally. Only Orthodox Christian do not  think so. Thus, this make me interested in Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:08:53 PM by walter1234 » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The protestant and catholic also think that God will never abandon the sinners who claim to love unconditionally. Only Orthodox Christian do not  think so. Thus, this make me interested in Orthodoxy.

You misunderstood what I was talking about.  Again, nothing is self-existing.  God didn't create things with inherent power to exist. They are sustained by His Divine power.  Even if in Eternal punishment, God would continue to maintain such existence, otherwise it wouldn't be eternal.  So even the Devil himself continues to exist because of God's love for His creation.  It doesn't mean God pardons or automatically forgives just because He continues to maintain something's or someone's existence, its just an ontological reality.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

You misunderstood what I was talking about.  Again, nothing is self-existing.  God didn't create things with inherent power to exist. They are sustained by His Divine power.  Even if in Eternal punishment, God would continue to maintain such existence, otherwise it wouldn't be eternal.  So even the Devil himself continues to exist because of God's love for His creation.  It doesn't mean God pardons or automatically forgives just because He continues to maintain something's or someone's existence, its just an ontological reality.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I know. Orthodoxy teaches that God pour our his love unconditionally and reveal the full of His presence  in eternality. Heaven and hell are also inespacable love and presence of God. Those who love God will be embraced by his love and presence. His love will provide light and warmth. THose who hate GOd and reject his love, his love and presence will burn and torture them forover. It is not the intention that His love want to torment the sinners, but their sins. They cling to their sin, so they cannot have the communion with God's love and presence

I know the sinners will be in pain and in tormented due to God's inescapable love and presence forever. But I can see that God is still faithful . Men may reject his love and abandon God, but He never takes away his love, turn his back to any sinnes, abondon any of his creations.Man change but his love is still unconditional and  unchange. Unlike the evil Protestant 's teaching, when the sinners reject God,He will be angry and hate them. Then, He would turn his back, forget, abandon, condemn his creations forever. And then, He will take revenge , create a place called hell, burn and torment them with an angry figure forever.

THe teaching of Orthodoxy about hell does not distort the nature of God, e.g.God's unending and unconditional love and God's omipresent. This teaching also does not deny the eternal and horrible torment as well. THe hell is caused by men himself , not God. This is more sensible that Protestant and Catholic 's teaching
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:16:09 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: